Author Topic: Today is "Earth Day" ...  (Read 575 times)

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
Today is "Earth Day" ...
« on: April 22, 2023, 11:49:13 AM »
Oh Mercy!  Yes I care about our planet, but the founders of this day are totally IMO ...

Environmental nut-cases!

https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/earth-day

"Earth Day was founded in 1970 as a day of education about environmental issues, and Earth Day 2023 will occur on Saturday, April 22. The holiday is now a global celebration that’s sometimes extended into Earth Week, a full seven days of events focused on green living and confronting the climate crisis. The brainchild of Senator Gaylord Nelson and inspired by the protests of the 1960s, Earth Day began as a “national teach-in on the environment” and was held on April 22 to maximize the number of students that could be reached on university campuses. By raising public awareness of pollution, Nelson hoped to bring environmental causes into the national spotllight.

~ ABC
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 11:52:26 AM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Today is "Earth Day" ...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 11:56:49 AM »
Earth Day is nothing more than a hippie carryover. Ralphie's link to George Carlin's comment on same tells the whole story. Nothing to see there except what the hippies want which is control over what you and I do, think, and say.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 12:07:08 PM »
Earth Day is nothing more than a hippie carryover. Ralphie's link to George Carlin's comment on same tells the whole story. Nothing to see there except what the hippies want which is control over what you and I do, think, and say.

Ooh!  Sorry, missed seeing Ralphie's link.  Where was it?  Am really busy today, and shouldn't even be checking into CC.

Oh well, did anyway!   I deserve a break from all my in RL responsibilities, do I not?   :-)

~ ABC

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 01:58:37 PM »
Oh my.

I've been so distracted with work that I completely forgot to light my tire fire in honor of Earf Day.

:fuelfire:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 05:28:41 PM »
Oh my.

I've been so distracted with work that I completely forgot to light my tire fire in honor of Earf Day.

:fuelfire:

Ha! Ha!  Thanks Defiant ...  :-)

Light another one if you can, for me too please!  We live on top of a mountain surrounded by a forest of trees on Lake Chatuge, GA , under a wind warning against fires of any kind.

:heart:   ~ ABC
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 05:40:02 PM by ABC-2 »

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 05:54:34 PM »
And today these individuals are celebrating Earth Day by using recycled materials to build homes that are eco-friendly

Isn’t progress wonderful
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 05:57:04 PM by Old n Grumpy »
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 05:59:59 PM »
And today these individuals are celebrating Earth Day by using recycled materials to build homes that are eco-friendly
[img width=768 height=511]https://s.hdnux.com/photos/66/45/30/14308887/6/rawImage.jpg[/

Isn’t progress wonderful

:clap:  :clap:   

Gotta go, dinner is calling, gotta go!

:cheersmate:  ~ ABC
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 06:03:08 PM by ABC-2 »

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 04:24:10 PM »
Ooh!  Sorry, missed seeing Ralphie's link.  Where was it?  Am really busy today, and shouldn't even be checking into CC.

Oh well, did anyway!   I deserve a break from all my in RL responsibilities, do I not?   :-)

~ ABC

Well darling, I was active on this subject here before you got to it. Don't have mod powers to consolidate them, but just found this laughable related nugget:

Hadn't seen this before I posted by mock tribute yesterday to "ERF Day", but just ran across this piece of nonsense.

I'll post the more ludicrous portions and only read the link if you need a big-time laugh at how stupid these people have become:

Time Magazine: The Case For Making Earth Day a Religious Holiday

https://time.com/6273684/earth-day-religious-holiday/

Earth Day is upon us—that forlorn little non-holiday that some years sandwiches itself between Easter and Passover, or other years trails in the wake of those “real” holidays. If the Super Bowl is America’s unofficial national day of celebration, Earth Day is the collective yawn that brings a shrug. No recipes offer Earth Day chips and dips to serve when friends and beloveds gather in celebration of the miracle of a living planet. Because they don’t. Not even ours.

But Earth Day may have fallen victim to its own success. Even though we face new and seemingly overwhelming environmental issues—the extinction crisis, the toxic chemical crisis, the climate crisis, acidification of the seas, the plastics tsunami—the spirit of the day is no longer mass protest. Yet current environmental problems pose existential threats to planetary and societal stability, even to civilization itself. One day out of 365 to mark the entire planet is too far a cry from the reverence and recognition owed the beleaguered planetary basis for our entire existence, for all known life.

So, what would an earth-reverent belief system look like with Earth Day at its center?

To begin with, let’s take a look at what established religions get right and where we might take a cue. Perhaps the first step might be, um, unearthing the nature-centered origins of our existing religious holidays. Most of us know in the back of our minds that Christmas and Hanukkah fall around the time of the winter solstice; that Easter and Passover are celebrated in tandem with the arrival of spring; that Sukkot and Diwali mark harvest and summer’s last warmth, and Eid follows the path of the moon. These holidays have origins in gratitude. Gratitude for the sun returning. Gratitude for the harvest that could avert the starvation winter might bring. Thanks for when it did avert it. We could conceivably reframe these holidays as days of thanks for what the natural world gives and reminders that our responsibility for what remains is an ongoing covenant.

Next, we might look at what religions do to help us form community and mark life’s important benchmarks: birth, maturity, marriage, and death. What if we were to come to celebrate these benchmarks for what they are biologically? Birth, that ecstatic co-joining of atoms and molecules resulting in sentience might prompt a ritual of truthfully and factually recounting how inanimate becomes animate. Instead of (or in addition to) bar/bat mitzvahs and confirmations, would it be too much to expect our children to go beyond the average daily 20 minutes most American children spend outdoors, and commit to memory the names and descriptions of local plants and animals, or learn the considerations involved in correctly planting a tree? The covenant of marriage might be an opportunity to remind young couples to consider the burden children place upon the planet and to make vows of sustainable patterns of behavior going forward. Death, finally, might be recognized for what it is—a returning of atoms and molecules to the cycle. In the cycle of life, the coming apart is as miraculous a process as the joining. We still don’t really know how nothing became something and formed a universe in which random pulses of energy and matter coalesced into beings writing op eds. In short, there’s plenty of mystery to go around.

~~~ End of bothering to copy this shit ~~~

At this point, just off yourselves and your family to make the ERF a better place. Weapons grade stupidity.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 10:02:05 PM »
Well darling, I was active on this subject here before you got to it. Don't have mod powers to consolidate them, but just found this laughable related nugget:

Hadn't seen this before I posted by mock tribute yesterday to "ERF Day", but just ran across this piece of nonsense.

I'll post the more ludicrous portions and only read the link if you need a big-time laugh at how stupid these people have become:

~~~ End of bothering to copy this shit ~~~

At this point, just off yourselves and your family to make the ERF a better place. Weapons grade stupidity.

Thanks for coming in.  You are a sweetheart!

Made me laugh at "~~~ End of bothering to copy this shit ~~~" Ha! Ha!

And whole-heartedly agree with your last statement which I took the liberty to emphasize!

Thanks again, and will now read the link for "a big-time laugh at how stupid these people have become."

~ ABC

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 02:35:12 PM »
Remember the Italian Indian?

https://youtu.be/j7OHG7tHrNM
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!