Author Topic: GDP report reveals ominous Great Depression warning sign not seen since 1932  (Read 820 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
GDP report reveals ominous Great Depression warning sign not seen since 1932
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/gdp-report-reveals-ominous-great-depression-warning-sign-1932

The latest numbers from the Bureau of Economic Analysis show that the U.S. economy grew by 2.9 percent in the fourth quarter of last year, and 2.1 percent for 2022. While the White House was quick to take credit for the state of the nation’s economy, they might want to think twice. This latest report should have alarm bells ringing, not trumpets sounding.

That’s because economic growth is slowing down. Even the areas which contributed positively to gross domestic product (GDP) are not necessarily signs of prosperity. For example, business investment grew at only 1.4 percent in the fourth quarter, but that was almost entirely inventory growth. Nonresidential investment, a key driver of future economic growth, was up just 0.7 percent.

Meanwhile, residential investment fell off a cliff, dropping 26.7 percent as consumers were unable to afford the combination of high home prices, high interest rates and falling real incomes. No wonder homeownership affordability has fallen to the lowest level in that metric’s history.

But the growth in inventories, which accounted for half the GDP growth in the fourth quarter, is not a good sign, either. It is the result of businesses being unable to sell off existing inventories at current prices. Liquidating that inventory at discounts will mean lower profits, a further drag on future growth.

The economy did not grow at all. Disposable income has dropped coniderably.

But perhaps most troubling is the precipitous drop in real disposable income, which fell over $1 trillion in 2022.

For context, this is the second-largest percentage drop in real disposable income ever, behind only 1932, the worst year of the Great Depression. To keep up with inflation, consumers are depleting their savings and burning through the "stimulus" checks they received during 2020 and 2021. Credit card debt continues growing, while savings plummeted $1.6 trillion last year, falling below 2009 levels.

It is the worst since 1932. It was during the worst years of the Great Depression.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
We can thank SharterJoe for most of this, but since Congress can't stop spending our money and the Federal Reserve can't stop printing money, we have those clowns to thank as well. :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
We can thank SharterJoe for most of this, but since Congress can't stop spending our money and the Federal Reserve can't stop printing money, we have those clowns to thank as well. :whatever:

Oh darlin', all intelligent people who have financial advisors, including  Mr. ABC and I, absolutely agree 100% with you!

As for calling all the guilty bastards above "clowns" ...

Too bad they are not "bunnies" that our friend Ptarmy would know how to deal with quite efficiently!   :-)

~ ABC
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:00:17 AM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Oh darlin', all intelligent people who have financial advisors, including  Mr. ABC and I, absolutely agree 100% with you!

As for calling all the guilty bastards above "clowns" ...

Too bad they are not "bunnies" that our friend Ptarmy would know how to deal with quite efficiently!   :-)

~ ABC

:hi5:  Ptarmy is a badass, that's for sure ( :-) ), but even he can't keep up with the Proliferation of Bunnies -- another National Problem, according to him.

I think D.C. is a Black Hole into which those who are addicted to power are irretrievably drawn, m'Dear. The only thing that's going to change it is something horrible, but eventually necessary.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
...I think D.C. is a Black Hole into which those who are addicted to power are irretrievably drawn, m'Dear. The only thing that's going to change it is something horrible, but eventually necessary.

To borrow a line: "I say we remote pilot the second dropship down from the Sulaco, dust off, and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
To borrow a line: " "I say we remote pilot the second dropship down from the Sulaco, dust off, and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Ha! Ha! I agree with you Defiant!   :cheersmate:

Even 'though I have not the slightest idea what the "the second dropship down from the Sulaco" is,

(I don't!  I don't!)   :-)  However ...

I do indeed, agree with the words "and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

~ ABC 

Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Ha! Ha! I agree with you Defiant!   :cheersmate:

Even 'though I have not the slightest idea what the "the second dropship down from the Sulaco" is,

(I don't!  I don't!)   :-)  However ...

I do indeed, agree with the words "and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

~ ABC

Pretty sure it's from Starship Troopers.  Book > movie.  Movie is entertaining, but book is pretty deep.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Pretty sure it's from Starship Troopers.  Book > movie.  Movie is entertaining, but book is pretty deep.

Aliens, actually.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Aliens, actually.

I stand corrected.  Haven't watched that one for a while.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.