Author Topic: The Manhattan Contrarian Energy Storage Paper Has Arrived!  (Read 449 times)

Offline SVPete

The Manhattan Contrarian Energy Storage Paper Has Arrived!
« on: December 06, 2022, 02:52:20 PM »
The Manhattan Contrarian Energy Storage Paper Has Arrived!

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2022-12-1-the-manhattan-contrarian-energy-storage-paper-has-arrived

Today my long-awaited energy storage paper was officially published on the website of the Global Warming Policy Foundation.  Here is a link.  The paper is 22 pages long in the form in which they have published it plus another few pages for an Executive Summary and table of contents.  They have given it the title “The Energy Storage Conundrum.”
The main point of the paper is that an electrical grid powered mostly by intermittent generators like wind and sun requires full backup from some source; and if that source is to be stored energy, the amounts of storage required are truly staggering.  When you do the simple arithmetic to calculate the storage requirements and the likely costs, it becomes obvious that the entire project is completely impractical and unaffordable.  The activists and politicians pushing us toward this new energy system of wind/solar/storage are either being intentionally deceptive or totally incompetent.
But this is one of those subjects on which you have to look at the actual numbers to evaluate whether the plans make any sense.  In this situation, you need to compare the amount of energy storage that would be required for full backup of an almost-entirely wind/solar grid (with fossil fuels excluded), to the actual quantity of grid-scale energy storage being acquired.

Consider the case of Germany, the country that has gone the farthest of any in the world down the road to “energy transition.”  My Report presents two different calculations of the energy storage requirement for Germany in a world of a wind/solar grid and no fossil fuels allowed (both of which calculations have been previously covered on this blog).  One of the calculations, by a guy named Roger Andrews, came to a requirement of approximately 25,000 GWh; and the other, by two authors named Ruhnau and Qvist, came to a higher figure of 56,000 GWh.  The two use similar but not identical methodology, and somewhat different assumptions.  Clearly there is a large range of uncertainty as to the actual requirement; but the two calculations cited give a reasonable range for the scope of the problem.

To give you an idea of just how much energy storage 25,000 (or 56,000) GWh is, here is a rendering (also from my Report) of a grid-scale battery storage facility under construction in Queensland, Australia by Vena Energy.  The facility in the rendering is intended to provide 150 MWh of storage.

Remember that 150 MWh is only 0.15 of one GWh.  In other words, it would take about 167,000 of these facilities to provide 25,000 GWh of storage, and about 373,000 of them to get to the 56,000 GWh in the larger estimate.

I'm posting this here because it is politics pushing "green energy", not science.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: The Manhattan Contrarian Energy Storage Paper Has Arrived!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 07:02:31 AM »
And where there is political impetus, there is money to be made.

Those pushing this green crap have only one thing in mind -- making money, and the taxpayers are gonna pay.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Online Rick

• Crazy old man
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 09:05:49 AM »
It has always been my belief that climite change, be it hot or cold, was a scam the dims used to steal money from the treasury.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:05:58 PM by Rick »

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 09:50:41 AM »
I am of the belief that climate change is a real event. I am also of the belief that human activity has little to nothing to do with it. The climate has been in a state of flux since the world began. It is complete hubris on the part of the greenies to think that they can alter a natural occurrence one iota. Perhaps the money would be better spent considering how to deal with the inevitable that is coming, whether warming or cooling, than working on the fruitless enterprise of altering the unalterable. 
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 11:26:08 AM »
And where there is political impetus, there is money to be made.

Those pushing this green crap have only one thing in mind -- making money, and the taxpayers are gonna pay.

Not just money. Permanent dictatorial control.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.