Author Topic: Getting a smoker.  (Read 14011 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Re: Getting a smoker.
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2023, 12:38:53 PM »
I have propane tanks that I bought empty from Home Depot or Lowes, I got one for the grill, one for the gas smoker and an extra.
My RV has two tanks on it also.
When one tank gets low I check them all and go get them refilled.
With the extra tank I never run out at home and as a added bonus I take it with me when I camp. Hook up a split line and can run
the outside cook top and grill as needed without having to deal with the little expensive Colman green bottles.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2023, 05:43:29 PM »
I think you misunderstand what I'm saying...

Well, yeah. I guess I did. So scratch what I said. :bitchslap:

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2023, 11:03:53 PM »
Did pork ribs on the pellet smoker in daytime temps getting to 38 degrees max. Prepped them with a sweet rub then sprinkled lemon pepper over the meat side.
Cooking time came out an hour over what it is in warmer times of year. But, they were still good ribs..  did I mention I love ribs?

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2023, 09:11:26 PM »
Did pork ribs on the pellet smoker in daytime temps getting to 38 degrees max. Prepped them with a sweet rub then sprinkled lemon pepper over the meat side.
Cooking time came out an hour over what it is in warmer times of year. But, they were still good ribs..  did I mention I love ribs?

Lemon pepper? On ribs?

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2023, 06:11:54 PM »
Lemon pepper? On ribs?

Yes!  I don't use sauce. The L/P brightens it up just a bit.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2023, 06:05:12 PM »
Yes!  I don't use sauce. The L/P brightens it up just a bit.

Every time I see "Lemon Pepper", I shudder, shake, and have flash backs to my Moms "Lemon Pepper Chicken". It was terrible. My Mom was a great cook, but there were a couple dishes that were wretched.

Her policy, "you'll eat what I fix ya.." :-)

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2023, 10:41:28 PM »
My Mom was a horrible cook. Us kids learned to make sandwiches and pour milk into cereal at a young age.
I got into cooking working at a 24 hour restaurant, I worked the graveyard shift when I was in High School.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2023, 05:56:22 AM »
My Mom was a horrible cook. Us kids learned to make sandwiches and pour milk into cereal at a young age.
I got into cooking working at a 24 hour restaurant, I worked the graveyard shift when I was in High School.

Pretty much my story, too. My mother, having been raised in East Tennessee back in the 40s, did one thing consistently -- she cooked everything TO DEATH. Any amount of "juice" in a meat product was verboten. Pork chops? Flour encrusted shoe leather. Roast beef? Better get your chisel out. Vegetables? A sodden mass of nothing identifiable. Spaghetti bolognese? Forget al dente -- we had paste. And the supposed "sauce" was tomato paste cut with water. No flavor, no texture.

She did cook supper every day, and I'm grateful for that. If nothing else, I learned from her what NOT to do.

I didn't learn just how good a steak could taste until I got to cook school in the Army.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2023, 12:55:20 PM »

I faintly remember me and my brother, watching Saturday Morning Cartoons. Mom would leave a couple bowls and the box of cereal on the counter, where we could reach them.

She was in bed. Usually with a hangover.  :whatever: :-) :lmao:

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2023, 01:01:15 PM »
Pretty much my story, too. My mother, having been raised in East Tennessee back in the 40s, did one thing consistently -- she cooked everything TO DEATH. Any amount of "juice" in a meat product was verboten. Pork chops? Flour encrusted shoe leather. Roast beef? Better get your chisel out. Vegetables? A sodden mass of nothing identifiable. Spaghetti bolognese? Forget al dente -- we had paste. And the supposed "sauce" was tomato paste cut with water. No flavor, no texture.

She did cook supper every day, and I'm grateful for that. If nothing else, I learned from her what NOT to do.

I didn't learn just how good a steak could taste until I got to cook school in the Army.

My In-laws are pretty much the same. I love them, but Lordy, they make sure that meat is DONE! Im not exaggerating either. My mother-in-law will thaw out a package of ground beef, in the sink, with NO water. ALL NIGHT LONG! But yet, will cook the burgers until Hockey Puck Status.

But honestly, I feel safer when there cooked that long, when the meat has been out all night.  :lmao: Somehow have never gotten food poisoning. Its a mystery.   :-)

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2023, 11:23:14 PM »
I like my beef med rare. As I tell the waitress.. walk it thru the kitchen.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2023, 06:26:13 AM »
I like my beef med rare. As I tell the waitress.. walk it thru the kitchen.

Medium to medium well, here.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2023, 11:14:05 PM »
found some lamb chops. Going to make some Shepards Pie with the correct  ingredients this time!

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2023, 03:09:21 PM »
Medium to medium well, here.

Well is a crime in 3 states.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2023, 11:51:33 PM »
Well is a crime in 3 states.

High Five!