Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 566854 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »
Going to look at another Granger  8642 "Special".  Probably this Friday........    :panic:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2014, 10:45:40 PM »
The wife asked me how many fly rods I needed. I replied: same as guitars, one more then I have.....

Offline ranger75

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #177 on: July 12, 2014, 03:01:36 AM »
Cats, ty and gorgeous fly rods!

I've never done the dipping process, so I'll have to look that up. 

:cheersmate:
Your website is now bookmarked.
Love that little 7ft 4 wt.    :drool:

Ditto. Beautiful.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2014, 01:37:36 PM »
I picked up the Granger and what, from all the evidence, looks to be a late 20's early 30's Montague.

The Granger has full varnish "melt down" but all the wraps are intact, all sections are full length. I've been able to remove the varnish, and preserve the wraps. It should spruce up very nicely.

The Monty, will take a full strip down. There's tons of intermediates and the color of the thread isn't easy to ascertain.  Looks like red and maybe green. Hard to tell.

At this rate I'll have to pick up Sinclair's "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook"............. :panic:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2014, 05:20:30 AM »
The intermediates indicate age as back in the day they didn't have faith in the glue.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
The intermediates indicate age as back in the day they didn't have faith in the glue.

Pretty much what I found. Not sure when most of the big makers quit using them, hence my guess at the year.

It came with a neat old form case. All the sections are full length, fairly rare for it's age, same with the Granger.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
OK,  I ran across this post which caused me to look at what was in the rafters of the garage.  Years ago I brought a couple rods, reel, net, and, creel from my mothers after she passed.  They had been my dads and probably date to the 1920 era.  They look like bamboo, three piece and look to be about nine feet when put together.  One has the place for the reel at the back of the handle and is the lighter of the two, the other has the place for the reel in the middle handle.  The reel says Laurentian No. 2,  Dry Fly Reel,  Lawson Machine Works, Montreal Canada. 

I will try and take a few pictures but we have a t-storm moving in at the moment.    Any ideas?  The smaller one was in a very old cotton sleeve.  The other one has a bit of the tip missing.  Both are missing eyelets which may or may not be in the rafters....They been there 21 years.

Here comes the thunder ... there go the dogs!
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
Take good, clear, close ups. Show the whole reel seat, handle and the winding check (where the rod meets the cork) from different angles so details can be seen. Same with shots of the ferrules. Any stampings?

Sounds like one of them is a casting rod.

The reel is a good, solid, one but very simple. Known to be loud (clicker)

Oh, this is for Cats. The tip of the Granger, from slightly below the tip-top to a little above the first guide is missing one strip of bamboo. Looks like damage from a hook ding. However, the tip seems fine, with gentle flexing. Suggestions? Invisible wrap? Or????
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:10:14 PM by Wineslob »

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
Take good, clear, close ups. Show the whole reel seat, handle and the winding check (where the rod meets the cork) from different angles so details can be seen. Same with shots of the ferrules. Any stampings?

Sounds like one of them is a casting rod.

The reel is a good, solid, one but very simple. Known to be loud (clicker)

Yes,  it is when you switch it to drag.  Otherwise it is very quite.  The switcher is a bit stiff to operate so I quit playing with it for now.  Damn we are getting a good soaking.  And the beagle soaked the bathroom rug.   :argh:  Oh well that is the price you pay for having animals.  Got to go clean it up.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »
Let's see how I did:
Larger middle rod is first.  I figured out pretty quick that the pool table cover was not good contrast.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2014, 11:44:28 AM »
Both rods look like Montague/Chubb, probably from the mid 20's to early 30's. The "tells' are the non serrated ferrules, reel seats, sheet cork handles and winding check.

The bigger rod is a boat rod, most likely.

The other is, of course, a plain old fly rod. Hard to tell on the fly rod what model, but the particular kind of seat can be ID'd and dated.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
Both rods look like Montague/Chubb, probably from the mid 20's to early 30's. The "tells' are the non serrated ferrules, reel seats, sheet cork handles and winding check.

The bigger rod is a boat rod, most likely.

The other is, of course, a plain old fly rod. Hard to tell on the fly rod what model, but the particular kind of seat can be ID'd and dated.

The "fly rod' has a very light tip. I was amazed when I looked at it again after all these years.  But, I think it may be missing a metal piece which holds it together.  I will have to look in the overhead someday when the 'Cuda is outside and it is a bit cooler in there to see what else may be there.

Any idea if this was some kind of kit or something bought piecemeal?  Also what are reutilization recommendations.  I have a large plate full of projects and a very small spoon so it is not something I am going to get too excited about doing.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2014, 05:36:23 PM »
Nope, not bought bought piecemeal. The ferrules are the "improved" units sans a serrated bottom. The reel seat is Monty/Chubb, the color scheme looks like red/black w/lots of intermediates. The winding check is correct. All this points to Monty/Chubb at the time when Montague bought Chubb and incorporated parts on the rods. It would be a good candidate for resto, and may fish quite well.

You can measure the ferrules with a drill bit(s). Whatever size fits into a female section (butt/mid) will help determine the weight of the rod. It should be in 64's" or converted to.  A 6 wt rod 8.5 feet long might be say, 18/64 butt section and the mid 12/64's. If smaller, lighter weight rod, but it depends on how much smaller.

I'll post good pics of the one I picked up, they are VERY similar.

What length is the rod or just measure one of the sections that looks full length. I'll guess at 8.5 feet (34.5" sections)

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2014, 11:03:58 AM »
Similarities:

Same winding check:

Same ferrules:

Different reel seat, I think yours is an actual Montague not a mix of the two companies. There may be, but not always, an "M" on the seat or it might be stamped Montague.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
The fly rod does indeed say Montague on the reel holder. I got a moment to look in the overhead and did not find the missing lug nor other parts.  The boat rod didn't have any markings I could see.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
I doubt the boat rod is worth restoring. The Monty is probably not either, I think I have a few of those?  Maybe the tips and mids for 6' small stream rod.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
The one I showed pics of I picked up for $40. Just for "shits and giggles" I'll restore it, or, in other words, make it fishable. It doesn't have any major damage or missing parts so I'll use it for practice.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »
I decided to make the rod a wall hanger. It looks good on the wall.  I'll probably be sending out the tip section (Granger)to a maker I know, he'll scarf the tip for $50 and make a complete"matching" tip section for a bit more.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:51:58 PM by Wineslob »

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2014, 05:20:22 PM »
Your house looks very similar to mine!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2014, 03:04:28 PM »
Your house looks very similar to mine!

"Special" minds think alike?

:-)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
I would love to see a Catskill Mountain fly Rod catch a big catfish...

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/03/01/i-once-caught-a-fish-this-big-italian-catches-280-pound-catfish/

I once heard a story (which I love and therefore hope is true) that a recovery diver working the Kenlake dam felt a presence that formed on the edge of the murky water of the mouth of a channel cat big enough to swallow him.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
I know of triple built bamboo rods that caught marlin bigger than that! Believe it or not. There was a time when all fishing rods were bamboo.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2015, 09:02:35 PM »
You gotta admit...300 pounds is a big cat.
Not an underground subway cat mind you, but a big cat nonetheless.
Even in the Catskill Mountains that's a big cat !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2015, 10:39:38 PM »
catsmtrods, the guides are still sitting here, unused. Between fishing and moving two households I havent had time to wrap rods. Maybe next winter!

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »
Yeah this winter is killing me working for an oil co! The monty has been sitting in my shop 90% finished. I think when this is finally over I'm going fishing.

~ Dr. William Pierce