Author Topic: McCain Calls on Congress to Institute a ‘Gas-Tax Holiday’  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
McCain Calls on Congress to Institute a ‘Gas-Tax Holiday’

PITTSBURGH — John McCain wants the federal government to free people from paying gasoline taxes this summer and ensure that college students can secure loans this fall, a pair of proposals aimed at stemming pain from the country’s troubled economy. At the same time, the certain Republican presidential nominee says Democratic rivals Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton would impose the single largest tax increase since World War II by allowing tax cuts pushed to passage by President Bush to expire.

“Both promise big ‘change.’ And a trillion dollars in new taxes over the next decade would certainly fit that description,” McCain said in remarks prepared for delivery Tuesday. “All these tax increases are the fine print under the slogan of ‘hope:’ They’re going to raise your taxes by thousands of dollars per year — and they have the audacity to hope you don’t mind.”

That was a play on the title of an Obama book.
McCain twice voted against the very tax cuts he now supports; he says failing to extend them would amount to tax increases for millions of people.

The four-term Arizona senator was presenting his proposals — and blistering his Democratic rivals — in a wide-ranging economic speech at Carnegie Mellon University.

MORE
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Asking dems to take a hit in their vote-buying power?

I'd love to see that one pass.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Airwolf

If only they would make it permanant.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline djones520

But...  I thought McCain was a liberal who claimed to be a Republican and only wanted to raise our taxes???

Atleast, thats what you'd think reading some of whats said here...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:53:50 PM by djones520 »
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Mr Mannn

This could save a lot of local economies dependent on tourism this year.

Of course that means the Democrats will be against it.

Offline Mr Mannn

PS. Mr McCain. Calling on congress from Pittsburg will accomplish...nothing.
Go back to congress and introduce a Bill! You're a Senator, its not that hard.

Offline djones520

From the same story.

Among other proposals, McCain said he would:

–Require more affluent people — couples making more than $160,000 — enrolled in Medicare to pay a higher premium for their prescription drugs than less-wealthy people.

–Raise the tax exemption for each dependent child from $3,500 to $7,000.

–Offer people the option of choosing a simpler tax system with two tax rates and a standard deduction instead of sticking with the current system.

–Suspend for one year all increases in discretionary spending for agencies other than those that cover the military and veterans while launching an expansive review of the effectiveness of federal programs.

The first one sounds questionable to me, but the other 3 sound pretty nice to me.  Especially that last one.  Dump programs that aren't doing a damn thing, and the government won't need so much damn money.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
But...  I thought McCain was a liberal who claimed to be a Republican and only wanted to raise our taxes???

His Global Warming(TM) agenda will be a de facto tax.  And even making all the Bush tax cuts permanent wont make up for the damage caving to the eco-wacktovists will do.

But nice over-simplification there.  McCain likes to beat up on conservatives too.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator

He DID co-propose the McCain-Lieberman bill. It's got not a damn thing to do with what's on this ****ing site. What is introduced, is posted.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running

Apart from his earlier vote against the Bush tax cuts--which he seems duly repentant about now--I unaware of criticism of him centering on taxes. It's more along the lines of immigration, SCOTUS nominees, McCain-Feingold, etc.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: McCain Calls on Congress to Institute a ‘Gas-Tax Holiday’
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 07:24:26 AM »
Nice bit of populist theater, well done as a politician.  Practical meaning equals zero, as I'm sure he knows full well.  Additional politico kudos for that.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.