Author Topic: Torch put out 5 times amid Olympic protests  (Read 1626 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

Torch put out 5 times amid Olympic protests
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »
Associated Press
Updated: April 7, 2008, 10:14 AM EST 63 comments add this RSS blog email print PARIS (AP) - Security officials snuffed out the Olympic torch and carried it through Paris in the safety of a bus at least five times Monday as chaotic protests against China's human rights record turned the relay into a chaotic series of stops and starts.

Despite massive security, at least two activists got within almost an arm's length of the flame before they were grabbed by police. A protester threw water at the torch but failed to extinguish it and was taken away. Officers tackled numerous protesters and carried some away.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7969820/Torch-put-out-5-times-amid-Olympic-protests
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Re: Torch put out 5 times amid Olympic protests
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:47:02 AM »
Then technically, that's not the Olympic Flame, is it?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:13:42 AM »

Right. H5, lol.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »

Right. H5, lol.
Makes me think of an episode of King of the Hill I saw a couple weeks ago.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:05:45 PM »

Right. H5, lol.
Makes me think of an episode of King of the Hill I saw a couple weeks ago.

Missed that one. (??) Good show though.

- Ayn Rand

Offline stickyboot

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »
Carrying the flaming torch like it's the Holy Grail, and having to put it out anyway to sneak it through parts of the route (no doubt at increased expense), in order to avoid the protesters?

I was as thrilled as anyone when I saw the torch going by within a few hundred feet many years ago. I hold it all in very high esteem, yet it isn't what makes the Games great any more than the flag makes the U.S. great.

On the other hand, I have grave problems with China nowadays, not with their athletes.

Has the importance of symbolic gestures addled everyone's heads to the point where it's believed the games can't go on without the torch, or the protesters think they've accomplished something significant with a bucket of water?