Author Topic: I thought our healthcare system sucks!  (Read 50407 times)

Offline Mary Ann

I thought our healthcare system sucks!
« on: August 30, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212423220
mopinko (53,679 posts)

dear justin trudeau,

please grant visas to these sick kids.

hlthe2b (71,977 posts)

1. No solution... Several are getting health care only available here (clinical trials),

extensive and multiple heart surgeries for congenital defects, some receiving all nutrition via feeding tubes to counter a genetic defect. Canada's health care system could not accommodate even those who are not too fragile to leave the hospital.

This really is a death sentence for some of them.

mopinko (53,679 posts)

3. feeding tubes arent that hard, and as far as clinical trials,

i dont now the details of this, tho i know the young woman that has was on rachel has a rare disease and getting experimental treatment, but i dont know how many others are.
one mentioned as cf, which is treatable.

canada's medical system is every bit as good as our.

Wait . . . I thought Canada's system was far superior to ours, because FREEEEEE!!!

hlthe2b (71,977 posts)

5. The one with the feeding tube is getting experimental treatment via the tube.

I'm not saying Canada's system is not every bit as good as ours, but we do have some clinical trials and experimental procedures not being performed there. Not to mention issues with finding funding that is already in place in the US.

This isn't like a cleft palate surgery or a more routine congenital heart surgery which, yes, could be done many places in many countries. The Boston cases are receiving genuinely unique care.

Eliot Rosewater (22,050 posts)

2. Does Canada have the facilities? The reason we have some of the best medical

facilities here is because people like David Koch make sure that when THEY get sick and their kids get sick they dont have to travel far.

Didnt work out so well for David but I am not sure if anybody else has the facilities, maybe someone here knows.
Darn that capitalism!!!

mopinko (53,679 posts)

4. i can say for certain, but

they do plenty of research there, and they have very good care.
i would have a hard time believing they cant handle it.

hlthe2b (71,977 posts)

6. For heavens sakes, clinical trials are unique to the facility performing/offering them.

I'm acquainted with one of the geneticist researchers indirectly involved withone of the Boston cases. You don't realize just how absolutely unique this care is.

mopinko (53,679 posts)

7. i understand that, although there could be a compassionate use

exception so that the drug could go w them.
some drug trials do allow people to continue receiving the drug after the trial ends.

i realize this wouldnt work for all of them. but the number that could do it isnt zero either.
Mo, give it up already, you ignorant slut!

hlthe2b (71,977 posts)

8. Simply not possible for several of them. It isn't a "marketable or packaged drug" and one

is on her fourth cardiac surgery not performed elsewhere.

Like I said, these are the most unique of cases. It isn't like a drug trial entering its last phase before being marketed.

Hopefully more of their specifics will be reported on soon and it will be easier to understand.
I can only imagine the heartache that the families of sick kids are enduring, and I, personally, would do anything at all within my power to obtain help for my kids or grandkids. BUT--after all of DU's -Hillarying- about how terrible our healthcare is, the bottom line is people come here to get treatment that they couldn't get anywhere else in the world.

And if they ever get their way and manage to torpedo capitalism, lots of people won't be able to get treatment made possible by grants from wealthy people. I have a friend whose grandchild has had a number of surgeries at the Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. My husband was treated at the Meijer Heart Center. And every time I enter the Arnold and Sydell Miller Pavillion at the Cleveland Clinic I thank God for their generosity, made possible by capitalism.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:49:57 PM by Mary Ann »

Offline Delmar

Re: I thought our healthcare system sucks!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »
Response to mopinko (Original post)Fri Aug 30, 2019, 06:41 PM
Star Member Eliot Rosewater (22,057 posts)
2. Does Canada have the facilities? The reason we have some of the best medical

facilities here is because people like David Koch make sure that when THEY get sick and their kids get sick they dont have to travel far.

Didnt work out so well for David but I am not sure if anybody else has the facilities, maybe someone here knows.

The posts are all over the place in that thread, the primitives find it hard to stay focused unless they have a thread where they can concentrate all their hate on Trump. 

Mopinko ought to stick to what she knows--raising chickens in the middle of town.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline jukin

Re: I thought our healthcare system sucks!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
I'd rather our healthcare resources go to legal American citizens.  It is a finite resources that should first and foremost go to our own citizens and not to illegal criminal invaders.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.