Author Topic: Ok DUers here they go again, the poor don't pay taxes  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Ok DUers here they go again, the poor don't pay taxes
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:05:32 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3165161

mrcheerful  (1000+ posts)     

Wed Apr-16-08 10:29 AM

Original message

Ok DUers here they go again, the poor don't pay taxes   50% of the bottom pay no tax myth has started again.

The OP I don't have much to say about but;

SharonAnn  (1000+ posts)     
Wed Apr-16-08 11:02 AM

Response to Reply #1

22. here in Tennessee, there's a 5.5% sales tax on groceries, highest in the country
 according to this morning's Knoxville News Sentinel article.

The poor are paying plenty.

And, regarding property taxes, remember that the rent they pay covers the property taxes the owner pays on the property. The renters pay property taxes indirectly, but it's still a cost to them.

In the bolded portion of THIS post .... This DUmp monkey is dangerously close to figuring out that the only people/entities that pay taxes are (surprise) WE the PEOPLE.  So much for corporate taxes .... this one could be getting too close to the truth and will be TS'd shortly.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Ok DUers here they go again, the poor don't pay taxes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 11:06:58 AM »
Okay, what part of INCOME tax did these idiots not figure out?

Oh, and if you think your property taxes suck now, come to NH.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 11:08:58 AM »
hyphenate  (1000+ posts)       
Wed Apr-16-08 11:04 AM

Response to Original message

24. I'm on disability 
 and don't pay taxes on that income, but I sure as hell paid taxes all my life.

As far as my disability is concerned, I wish the idiots who say we're lazy asses and shouldn't be getting "government" money would realize we're not getting "government" money but our OWN ****ing money paid into the system over the years. We're entitled to it without any apology, and yet it's harder to get than finding hen's teeth.

Let's face it: some people are just ignorant bastards and don't want to change. They expect the world to revolve around them and their prejudices instead.

I wonder if it has figured out just how much it paid in before climbing on the disability bandwagon vs. how much it has collected.  Wonder if it would find out it is in FACT collecting money from the rest of us ..... hmmmmm

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »
Breeze54  (1000+ posts)       

Wed Apr-16-08 11:06 AM

25. Really? Then I hope they tell my son that! 
 He owes almost $900.00 and has to make a payment arrangement with the IRS!

Have I told you lately how MUCH I hate RepubliCONS? 

Wait until Obama or Clinton get in .... that $900 bill will go to a couple grand.   :whatever:

But on the flip side the son will then be helping folks like hyphenate!  Wooo Hooo win win.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »
With the mystical "earned income credit" the poor receive back from the federal taxes (we pay) what they have spent in sales tax and other taxes.

So, in conclusion,  *NO*!  The "poor" do not pay taxes, regarless of how you spin it.    

I know the EIC requires the "poor" to have at least one child, but really, in those cases, who doesn't have at least one child?

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »
Uh oh ....

Phx_Dem  (1000+ posts)     

Wed Apr-16-08 11:57 AM

Response to Reply #32

38. employees don't pay payroll taxes
 the employers do.

goddess40
Response to Reply #38

39. it's paid for the benefit of the employee
 and it's considered in the cost of the position.

Closer, closer ..... it won't be long until they are all demanding there be no corporate taxes because it ultimately filters down to the consumer.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
With the mystical "earned income credit" the poor receive back from the federal taxes (we pay) what they have spent in sales tax and other taxes.

So, in conclusion,  *NO*!  The "poor" do not pay taxes, regarless of how you spin it.    

I know the EIC requires the "poor" to have at least one child, but really, in those cases, who doesn't have at least one child?

Absolutely LU!  I have a friend with several kids and he regularly gets back a couple, three grand more each year than was withheld.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:22:38 AM »
Breeze54  (1000+ posts)      

Really now?  To owe that much, assuming the son is single with no dependents, the son would have had to make about $17,500 and paid in no taxes at all through the year, or he would have had to make a heck of a lot more and not adjusted his withholding to cover his tax liability.

If the son has dependents, the figures would be increased considerably in order for him to owe almost $900.00.

Which is it?

And what the hell does "RepuliCONS" have to do with it?  Taxes are the domain of the democrat party.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »
Uh oh ....

Phx_Dem  (1000+ posts)     

Response to Reply #32

the employers do.

goddess40
Response to Reply #38

Closer, closer ..... it won't be long until they are all demanding there be no corporate taxes because it ultimately filters down to the consumer.

KC

You make that sound like a bad thing.

Seriously, there will NEVER been tax reform in this country until you make the taxpayers WRITE A CHECK TO THE GOVERNMENT every month for their taxes (state and federal) just like they would every other bill.  Start doing that and oh the fun we'll have then.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:34:14 AM »
Uh oh ....

Phx_Dem  (1000+ posts)     

Response to Reply #32

the employers do.

goddess40
Response to Reply #38

KC

You make that sound like a bad thing.

Seriously, there will NEVER been tax reform in this country until you make the taxpayers WRITE A CHECK TO THE GOVERNMENT every month for their taxes (state and federal) just like they would every other bill.  Start doing that and oh the fun we'll have then.

I can only hope they will figure it out.  I totally agree with you.  IF we could ever get all the employers to pay gross pay to their employee's and then simply direct them to the amount they need to send in .... we would have a tax revolt almost overnight.

They tried to do this in Houston several years ago and the IRS came down on the employers who were doing it rather hard.  The IRS knew what was fixing to happen.

KC

*Stolen

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:13:04 PM »
Hey DUmmies: It’s only the state’s money if one dismisses the fact that the taxpayer earns their income rather than treating it as an allocation from the government. :fuelfire:  :bird:

And for the so-called myth -

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2007/12/tax-rates-current-vs-historical.html

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/542.html

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
Breeze54  (1000+ posts)       

Really now?  To owe that much, assuming the son is single with no dependents, the son would have had to make about $17,500 and paid in no taxes at all through the year, or he would have had to make a heck of a lot more and not adjusted his withholding to cover his tax liability.

If the son has dependents, the figures would be increased considerably in order for him to owe almost $900.00.

Which is it?

And what the hell does "RepuliCONS" have to do with it?  Taxes are the domain of the democrat party.

Her son needs to adjust his withholding. *shrug*  I've managed to always get just a little back.  It amazes me the people who are like "woo hoo, I got $2000 back!"  Really? So you'd prefer to give the government an interest free loan for a year, instead of just adjusting your withholding appropriately. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »
Well if their beloved democrats get their way the lowest earners will pay 50% more in income taxes.  Why do they vote against their own self-interests?

More proof that DUmmies...well....are DUmmies.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 01:23:29 PM »
Well if their beloved democrats get their way the lowest earners will pay 50% more in income taxes.  Why do they vote against their own self-interests?

But . . . but . . . but . . . they'll be spreading the misery equally! ::)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »

Because taxes are only levied on The Rich.  And the DUmmy definition of "The Rich" is "anyone who makes more than me."  Not realizing that a small COLA will put them into their previously  desginated category of The (Evil) Rich and.. tah dah!  The birds come home to roost.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.