Author Topic: I was just called nuts for believing in peace/tolerance and compassion!  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
I see balls, lots and lots of balls

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3154448

Tripper11  (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-14-08 09:29 AM
Original message
I was just called nuts for believing in peace/tolerance and compassion!
 seriously? What planet am I on? I work at a local tv news station and just had a viewer call me to complain about honouring the Dalai Lama who has been in town for the past week saying we shouldn't be honouring him because he's a Buddhist and we're a Christian nation.
I asked him why he thought that speaking about Peace, tolerance and compassion was a bad thing. Didn't Jesus preach the same thing?
His reply..."in the bible it says we need to be at war" or something along those lines and then started spouting a scripture from Matthew.
I asked him how this Christian belief in war has worked out for him so far?
Am I on glue or not in my right mind to think that being peacefulness, tolerance and compassion are good things?

Seriously, and then when I relayed my little anecdote to someone in the room, I was called as nutty as the caller!

They take no pride in their stories anymore..........none. Though that last sentence was as true as it comes  :rotf:

leftofcool  (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-14-08 09:30 AM
Response to Original message
1. Was this a Republican caller?
 If so, that says it all

Breeze54  (1000+ posts)       Mon Apr-14-08 09:32 AM
Response to Reply #1
4. lmao! You have to ask!?!

SpiralHawk  (1000+ posts)     Mon Apr-14-08 10:10 AM
Response to Reply #1
10. That's the anti-Christian position
 Even the self-imagined "elect" shall be decieved (paraphrase of J. Christ)

So now they are such biblical scholars that they can paraphrase Jesus

OhioBlues  (1000+ posts)       Mon Apr-14-08 09:30 AM
2. Red state mentality can lurk anywhere
 I am sorry that happened to you. If you're a nut, I am too.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Breeze54  (1000+ posts)       Mon Apr-14-08 09:31 AM
3. Sounds like a Dominionist or a "Christian for Zion" groupee.

zanne (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-14-08 09:34 AM
5. "We're a Christian nation".
 Another thing on the Right Wing wishlist. Say it often enough and it'll come true.

we are a country founded by Christians, which can be seen as us being a Christian Nation, yet we do allow other religions

Tuesday Afternoon  (1000+ posts)       Mon Apr-14-08 09:44 AM
6. I thought we are supposed to bitter... 
 I am so confused 

:rotf:

beezlebum (374 posts)       Mon Apr-14-08 09:45 AM
7. yeah, i'm pretty nuts myself.
 Edited on Mon Apr-14-08 09:47 AM by beezlebum
when you're the only sane person in the room, you're the only one who is not.

so the pope is coming and amurka has been planning for his visit, sweeping the christian torture under the rugs and mopping up the blood pretending our christian murderous sins aren't bleeding all over the world, preparing the bless-ed welcome map, replaying speeches from pope john what's-his-sequence. yes, we are a "christian" nation. after all that killin we can't stop to tolerate and respect another religion!

what always astounds me is when supposed christians reply as this caller did, that we need to be at war according to the bible, citing some mysteriously interpreted passage (if they cite any at all)- these are the same people who talk about "islamofascism" and how the ko-ran teaches all muslims to kill the "infidels." the irony is too tragic for laughs.

IDJIT

Xap (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-14-08 09:53 AM
8. Classic Republican mindset
 "If you ain't like me then you must be a commie or a terrist or something."

You have gotta be kidding.....................dumbass IDJIT

Freedomofspeech (557 posts)     Mon Apr-14-08 10:23 AM
11. Just another example of why I don't go to church anymore...
 I know there are many wonderful Christians out there. But after * became their president and I really started thinking long and hard about religion, I was enlightened! Nothing scares me more than people who remind me what good Christians they are.

BLAH....BLAH.....BLAH
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lord Undies

In God we Trust.  Our nation's motto.  Live it.  Breath it.  Suck on it, DUmbasses.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Tuesday Afternoon  (1000+ posts)       Mon Apr-14-08 09:44 AM
6. I thought we are supposed to bitter... 
 I am so confused 

Wassa-matter DUmmie?  Lose your place in the DNC Useful Idiot Handbook again?
 :whatever: :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Well, we can see how effective "peace/tolerance and compassion" was in keeping Tibet free.

If the DUmmies had their way, they would hold hands and sing Kumbaya while our enemies behead us, starting with our children and women.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
I'm a big fan of peace, tolerance and compassion. However, the DUmmies and I have differing opinions of what each means.

Peace is achieved in being strong enough to defend yourself and others from bad people. There are bad people in the world. You must learn how to stop them to truly have peace.

Tolerance of opinions is fine. But tolerance of wrongdoing is not tolerance...it's permissiveness. "Anything goes" is not conducive to civilized living.

Compassion is great. Helping your fellow man? Wonderful. Enabling bad traits? Not so much.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

I'm a big fan of peace, tolerance and compassion. However, the DUmmies and I have differing opinions of what each means.

Peace is achieved in being strong enough to defend yourself and others from bad people. There are bad people in the world. You must learn how to stop them to truly have peace.

Tolerance of opinions is fine. But tolerance of wrongdoing is not tolerance...it's permissiveness. "Anything goes" is not conducive to civilized living.

Compassion is great. Helping your fellow man? Wonderful. Enabling bad traits? Not so much.
H5
 :cheersmate:

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
leftofcool  (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-14-08 09:30 AM
 If so, that says it all

Breeze54  (1000+ posts)       Mon Apr-14-08 09:32 AM
Response to Reply #1

Wait...how would breezy KNOW? Given their uncanny ability to remember a conversation verbatim, I didn't read that in her, "look how much better I am than them in her self congratulatory post. Could've been Fred Phelps...he's a democratic.

Probably the way it really went was:

Normal Caller: Hello...yes, I appreciate the Dalai Lama and what he stands for but you've been focusing on him to exclusion of other things going on here. You guys usually report on road construction, which is helpful to me because I drive a truck.

Moonbat Operator: The Dalai Lama's message is more important than some stupid road! I bet you're a Christian too.

Normal Caller: Well, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I'd just like you start including traffic reports in your morning newscasts again. If you'd pass that on to the news team I'd appreciate it.

Moonbat Operator: WARMONGER!!!!...click!

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Chris_

leftofcool  (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-14-08 09:30 AM
 If so, that says it all

Breeze54  (1000+ posts)       Mon Apr-14-08 09:32 AM
Response to Reply #1

Wait...how would breezy KNOW? Given their uncanny ability to remember a conversation verbatim, I didn't read that in her, "look how much better I am than them in her self congratulatory post. Could've been Fred Phelps...he's a democratic.

Probably the way it really went was:

Normal Caller: Hello...yes, I appreciate the Dalai Lama and what he stands for but you've been focusing on him to exclusion of other things going on here. You guys usually report on road construction, which is helpful to me because I drive a truck.

Moonbat Operator: The Dalai Lama's message is more important than some stupid road! I bet you're a Christian too.

Normal Caller: Well, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I'd just like you start including traffic reports in your morning newscasts again. If you'd pass that on to the news team I'd appreciate it.

Moonbat Operator: WARMONGER!!!!...click!

Cindie
I can request a copy of the recording of the above conversation from the VRWC database if you'd like, although the transcript is spot-on.
 :-)

Offline Flame

:exactly:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

H5
 :cheersmate:

:yeahthat:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

Re: I was just called nuts for believing in peace/tolerance and compassion!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 01:07:31 PM »
bounce

In God we Trust.  Our nation's motto.  Live it.  Breath it.  Suck on it, DUmbasses.

H5

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: I was just called nuts for believing in peace/tolerance and compassion!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 03:08:46 PM »

:clap:

Hi 5
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama