Author Topic: primitives don't understand how work works  (Read 1183 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
primitives don't understand how work works
« on: March 05, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
Quote from:
Taverner

Anyone notice the less you do, the more you get paid?

OK - I remember working as a bagger for a grocery store. Back braking labor! I cleaned, bagged, lifted, crushed - basically all the kind of work perfect for a 17 year old who wants to do for a good salary. The union took good care of us, and in return we took good care of the grocery store.

Then I got a promotion - to checker. After learning every fruit and vegetable's code, I started doing that. Now I got paid $3 more per hour, and I worked less. A lot less. Most heavy lifting could be done by summoning a bagger.

Since then I've done a bunch of jobs and noticed this trend. I worked in Tech Support: got paid lower than an IT professionals' wage and the work was hard work. Went into sales, doubled my salary and cut the actual work in half. Cut my knowledge base in half too.

What gives? Defintiely seems to be the reverse of the Horatio Alger story...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5191995#5192034

WT...?????

Someone remind me, why do these dolts believe they're the most intelligent people on the planet?

Quote from:
Sequoia

1. It's like that where I work.

They always work less hours, come in late, and leave whenever they feel like it with no repremand whatsoever.

Quote from:
knowbody0

2. yes, and I believe it got really bad when they created "middle management" positions. it created this ugly void between bosses and workers.

The only "ugly void" is between your ears, primitive.

Quote from:
polichick

3. That's why it's so amazing to hear wealthy Republicans complain about paying higher taxes to support people who don't work as hard as they do. What a crock!

(My husband once quit a high-level, high-paying job because there were too many hours when he could sit around reading novels. He couldn't stand the inactivity.)

:whatever:

OK, let's see the hands of those who believe that little tale.

Quote from:
leftofthedial

12. Imagine what a Wall Street CEO actually does...

pretty much nothing of any actual use to anyone.

In fact, there is a point somewhere in middle management at which one actually crosses over into negative productivity.

Someone's jealous.

Quote from:
NeedleCast

17. I guess it depends on what your using to define "work"

There's more physical labor involved in bagging groceries, but it's a lot less specialized than being IT tech support or in sales (or at least, being any good at sales). In the microcosm of the IT industry, pretty much anyone can do level one tech support/help desk work, but not everyone can be a systems admin.

Quote from:
Progressive_In_NC

19. I found that to be the same in my non-union grocery store, but in IT

I find that the tech support guys work a set amount of hours and go home. Sure it's horrible work, I paid my dues there too. But I also know that now as a senior architect, I work 8-6 in the office and then 9-1 at home at night doing software releases, backing up databases; writing specs for the junior developers to implement.

I am there when the lower level guys go home, I'm there on weekends to support the call center when they have an outage. So while the call center folks drop it at the door, I live my work.

And I'm not even compensated that well for it either.

Now the sales guys at my company do nothing and pull in 250K. They call on people, figure out what they want, and then the three senior IT guys come in and do all of the sales work and write the statements of work, but if one us were to even approach six figures, management would have a hissy fit.

Yeah, the sales guys do nothing but go out and russle up the accounts which gives you the work to feed your sorry butt.  What an ingrate!

Quote from:
LibDemAlways

23. Truer words.....

Years ago I worked in the Human Resources Dept. of a large insurance company. I was privy to the salary of every employee. The two guys at the top who basically sat back and counted their money made millions. Upper level managers who did little except crack the whip over their employees pulled down five figures a month plus generous bonuses. The peons who did the real work of the company were paid close to minimum wage. It's a giant corporate racket and the reason why unions are essential.

Another ingrate stuck in personnel who, of course, had it all figured out.

That's enough for now.  I'm sure a bunch of other idiots from DUmmieland will chime in eventually.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: primitives don't understand how work works
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »
LibDemAlways

23. Truer words.....

Years ago I worked in the Human Resources Dept. of a large insurance company. I was privy to the salary of every employee. The two guys at the top who basically sat back and counted their money made millions. Upper level managers who did little except crack the whip over their employees pulled down five figures a month plus generous bonuses. The peons who did the real work of the company were paid close to minimum wage. It's a giant corporate racket and the reason why unions are essential.

Just because you see what they make doesn't mean you know what they do.  Nor does it mean YOU could do it.

This is why they never get anywhere in life.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
LibDemAlways

23. Truer words.....

WTF ever. My wife is just a small branch manager and pulls in 6 figures. She has 3 agents under her who are pulling in between 50K-100K, depending on how well they sell and work. You're out of your moonbat mind.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:55:43 PM »
Hmmmm.

Sequoia

1. It's like that where I work.

They always work less hours, come in late, and leave whenever they feel like itwith no repremand whatsoever.

Sounds like the Democrats who were high-ranking bureaucratic positions with really high salaries who were at the Nebraska Department of Health when I worked there.

That, and coming into the office at 8:05 every morning, grabbing the newspapers and headed to the men's commodes.....and then coming in to work at 8:33 or something. 

No lesser-paid secretary or file clerk could've gotten away with that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »
lol.

your union bosses are screwing you dude. Their partying in swank resorts while your washing mops.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 12:53:55 AM »
DUmmies have no concept of the actual value of labor.  To paraphrase Heinlein, if you give apples and flour to an idiot, he will make a mess where the sum of the whole is of less value than the sum of the parts.  Give the same apples and flour to a chef and he shall make a confection worth more than the sum of it's parts.  According to the Marxist/collectivist thought process this is not possible.

I worked on a PM team for years.  We worked our tales off producing things.  The worker bees didn't see all the planning meetings, engineering, analyses, and everything else that went into getting them the work on the floor.  There were three women that worked on the floor and were actually paid more than the management for the work they did, and they were worth every penny of it.  They were cable fabricators/installers.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:35:46 AM »
Boy these people are really, really concerned about money. I mean they really spend an abnormal amount of time thinking about "the rich". But they never seem to ask themselves the important question...if they're the ones that are the smartest kids in the room why haven't they figured out how to earn more than their corporate overlords? I can't seem to figure that one out. How are smart people always smacked down by stupid, thuggish bosses? Shouldn't a really smart person be able to outsmart a dumb person and take their job? Shouldn't a really smart person be able to do that until they reach the top? They think more about money than anything.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 05:01:07 AM »
But they never seem to ask themselves the important question...if they're the ones that are the smartest kids in the room why haven't they figured out how to earn more than their corporate overlords? I can't seem to figure that one out. How are smart people always smacked down by stupid, thuggish bosses? Shouldn't a really smart person be able to outsmart a dumb person and take their job? Shouldn't a really smart person be able to do that until they reach the top?

Yes, they should.  But, maybe they either figure that their "brilliance" should be immediately recognized and they should be compensated as such, right from the get-go.  Kinda like the "inverted underwater basketweaving" major in college, who thinks that they deserve a $65,000 yearly salary right out of college.

They've got to work for it, and that is something they dearly and desperately want to avoid.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Greg Gutfeld said something profound the other night on Red Eye, he said if you want to be rich, you can't hate the rich, you have to love them.  This is why no matter how much government sanctioned looting the DUmmies do, they will always be living in abject poverty.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline terry

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »
It really is sort of sad.  These people cannot take control of their own life.  If high paying jobs are so easy, then why don't they have them?

If running a company is so easy then why don't they start one?  What a pathetic thing to think that you have no say or control over what you do or how much you get paid for it?

Think of something society needs or wants and offer it for a good price.  You could be the next Bill Gates or at the very least support yourself on your own terms.   It's easy, why don't you do it?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »
It really is sort of sad.  These people cannot take control of their own life.  If high paying jobs are so easy, then why don't they have them?

If running a company is so easy then why don't they start one?  What a pathetic thing to think that you have no say or control over what you do or how much you get paid for it?

Think of something society needs or wants and offer it for a good price.  You could be the next Bill Gates or at the very least support yourself on your own terms.   It's easy, why don't you do it?

Because they know deep down in their heart of hearts, it's NOT easy.  It carries risk.  In fact, it's very HIGH risk.  Something a DUmmie just can't stand to have happen to them, so they'd rather sit on the couch and bitch and moan, risking nothing, going nowhere.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 01:54:01 PM »
Someone should point Obama at that thread and say "O, these are the people that voted for you. What do you think?"

Now that I think about it, I suspect he already knows and is counting on it.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 03:54:41 PM »
If they started thinking how they can improve THEIR lives, rather than how "unfair" life is, they'd be so much better off.

Of course, they'd also be republicans, so... :whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 03:01:02 AM »
Then I got a promotion - to checker. After learning every fruit and vegetable's code, I started doing that. Now I got paid $3 more per hour, and I worked less. A lot less. Most heavy lifting could be done by summoning a bagger.

Yeah, standing in one spot for hours, reaching and dragging all those items across the scanner, has to be so much easier then being a bagger that is able to wonder around looking for empty carts.  :whatever:

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 03:58:08 AM »
Yeah, standing in one spot for hours, reaching and dragging all those items across the scanner, has to be so much easier then being a bagger that is able to wonder around looking for empty carts.  :whatever:
I think it's a stretchy too.  My union shop grocery store had cashiers making abou $.50 more an hour than the utility clerks.  I definitely liked being a utility clerk (bag boy) better.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 06:45:43 AM »
Taverner

Anyone notice the less you do, the more you get paid?

So DUmbass....since I'm unemployed right now and doing NO work, does that mean I get tons of money? God, what idiots these people are...guess that's why we call them DUmmys.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe