Author Topic: Republicans will never be cool.  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
Republicans will never be cool.
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8233880

Drunken Irishman (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-27-09 03:30 PM
Original message
Republicans will never be cool.
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Fri Feb-27-09 03:33 PM by Drunken Irishman
They need to accept that they just aren't the party of the New Generation, to steal a line from Pepsi.

The last time they flirted with cool was with Reagan, but even that had its limits and most of that was because the Democrats put up Mondale in 1984, anything but cool.

However, there isn't a cool Republican. George Bush wasn't cool and God knows his father was probably the dorkiest president we've had since...well Calvin Coolidge (also a Republican). Jindal is not cool. Just because he's young and Indian doesn't make him cool. Cool isn't something you can create and that's why the Republicans keep failing. They try to be cool and as we all know, when you're trying to be cool, you're so not cool.

Now Obama? He doesn't need to try. He is cool. He's cooler than the arctic in winter. You look at him and you instantly think he's cool. Same with Bill Clinton in the 90s. He was cool. But who do the Republicans have to rival that? Remember, this is the party who put up Bob Dole and John McCain to the coolest Democratic candidates in a long time.

But it isn't even just recent history, either.

Kennedy was cool. The whole Kennedy mystique was cool. You saw Kennedy with Frank Sinatra and Marilyn Monroe and you thought instant coolness.

Nixon? Not cool.

That isn't to say you have to be cool, it's just if you're not cool, admit it and move on. Unfortunately, Republicans haven't figured this out yet. John Kerry really isn't cool and I think he knew this, so he didn't try to act cool. Sure he did the goofy things candidates do, but he never really tried to be someone he wasn't. Now Dukakis? He did and he failed miserably, which goes to show not all Democrats are cool and not all Democrats understand if you're not cool, there is no point in trying to act it.

Now the Republicans will never and can never be cool because they're Republicans. They're the party of old white guys and it only starts to backfire when they try to get cool. I mean, we all know why Sarah Palin was picked as McCain's VP. Because he wasn't cool and they knew he wasn't cool, but they wanted to hip him up, so they brought on an attractive and young governor who could be cool. Except Sarah Palin isn't cool. She isn't cool because she's weird and weird is never cool. Sure, she was a hit among the younger Republicans, but they're young & Republican, so what the hell do they know about cool?

You see, Republicans need to understand their core values aren't cool. Michael Steele can go on and on about how wack it is to support civil unions, but let's be honest, anyone who's not even at the level of supporting civil marriage can't claim to be cool. It's not cool to be anti-gay in the 21st Century.

That, my friends, is the Republican Party's problem. They don't understand civilization took a huge step into the 21st Century. And as we all figured out in junior high and high school, once the trend has changed, if you don't, you're not and never will be cool.

Republicans are stuck in the 20th Century while the rest of us moved on to the 21st Century. They're like the kid who in 1995 was still wearing clothes from 1985. Definitely not cool.

Oh my

XNASA  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-27-09 03:32 PM
Response to Original message
1. Not that it's important but.....
 Eisenhower was kinda cool.

Drunken Irishman (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-27-09 03:33 PM
Response to Reply #1
4. He might've been the last cool Republican.

uponit7771  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-27-09 03:57 PM
Response to Reply #1
6. Yeap, I think I would've given Ike a shot back then...

PatSeg  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-27-09 05:14 PM
Response to Reply #1
20. He was cool
 and he wasn't a hardcore republican. Both the Democrats and republicans approached him to be their presidential candidate.

scheming daemons  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-27-09 03:32 PM
3. Teddy Roosevelt was the last cool Republican

Teddy was cool.

ObamaKerryDem  (473 posts)        Fri Feb-27-09 03:51 PM
5. Oh, I beg to differ with you there..
 John Kerry is pretty damn cool in his own right.  Maybe not in the way Presidents Obama or Clinton are, but hey.. :

snort

Uncle Joe  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-27-09 03:59 PM
7. It's literally impossible
 to win a Webbie, Nobel Peace Prize, Oscar, Grammy, Emmy and throw the world's largest rock concert without being cool.

Al Gore is cool ?

:rotf:

sufrommich  (1000+ posts)      Fri Feb-27-09 04:18 PM
10. Gary Oldmen is tres cool and republican.
 I know,it hurts.

Is he really ?  Sweet

What about Ted Nugent, Gary Sinise, Fred Thompson, Kelsey Grammer, Clint Eastwood, Drew Carey,
and Chuck Norris ? 

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Republicans will never be cool.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:44:29 PM »
Proof positive that teh DUmmies are still stuck on HS popularity contest BS.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »
Who gives a shit about bein "cool"?  :loser:
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:56:23 PM »
Who gives a shit about bein "cool"?  :loser:

Cool is for the teens and wannabe teens/hippies.  The new generation always thinks they're cool, but most of the time they just look/act stupid.  Most of the time they grow up and become Republicans when/if they are forced to face reality.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:56:59 PM »
She isn't cool because she's weird and weird is never cool.

So this is an admission that no one at the DUmp is cool?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »
Drunken Irishman reminds me of the anemic looking little drug addicts that would hang out at the art block at school, sneaking around back for a puff now and again and completely sure they were the coolest individuals in history, while being beaten up by the real "cool" kids, and crying that being "cool" was so conformist.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »
Cool is for the teens and wannabe teens/hippies.  The new generation always thinks they're cool, but most of the time they just look/act stupid.  Most of the time they grow up and become Republicans when/if they are forced to face reality.
About the time they get a paycheck take a look at the stub and wonder why that 'FICA dude" is takin so much of their money....
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 05:11:10 PM »
Just like high school, trying to imitate the cool kids hoping they'll be noticed. I can understand it with teens, they don't know any better and it's important in the small world they live in. But when an adult tries to be "hip" and "cool" it's just pathetic. Only people who never were cool keep worrying about it long after it ceases to be important. My mom tried to act cool with me and my friends. Embarrassed the hell out of me. Of course she's a dem and doesn't know any better. I doubt my boys thought I was cool. I never asked them, though, because it never seemed to be an important parenting attribute. I have roosters who think they're pretty damn cool. And like your average high school boy their whole goal in life is to get laid. But then their brains can fit in a thimble. Come to think of it, I learn a lot about DUmmies by watching my chickens.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 05:19:52 PM »
Now Obama? He doesn't need to try. He is cool. He's cooler than the arctic in winter. You look at him and you instantly think he's cool.

So being an lying, arrogant elitist is now cool? That's what I, and a lot of other Americans, see when it comes to The Anointed One, not coolness.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:50:07 PM »
Just because I know this would piss them off...saved this because next to the New York Dolls, the Ramones are probably one of the greatest punk bands to ever grace this planet (Hey! Ho! Let's Go! is my wake-up song). Evidently it IS more cool to be a Republican  than a Democrat:

Has the resurgence of progressives in Hollywood and Washington made left-leaning politics so common and ever-present in the media that they lost their cool counter-culture cache? It would seem very difficult for progressives in positions of power on Sunset Boulevard and on Capitol Hill to “fight The Man” when they are “The Man.” When you’re making the rules, you can’t also be the roguish, freedom-loving pirates breaking them at the same time. And, you can’t mock Stepford Wives-ish waves of blind political obedience when it’s your own side of the aisle who sold its soul to a messiah.

Suck on that for a while asshats!

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »
They don't have the slightest idea WTF cool is. It isn't donning a pair of sunglasses and playing the sax. It isn't wearing a certain style of clothes or using hip language or going to a basketball game. That's all nothing but a bunch of superficial image shit meant to impress the immature and intellectually stunted such as one finds at DU.

Cool comes from the inside. It's manifested by facing adversity yet struggling onward with a positive attitude. It's about being able to keep your emotions in check and reason things through while everyone else is panicking. It's about being kind to the weaker when you don't have to be and being tough when you need to be. It's about intelligence and great courage coupled with humility. Those are not things you can wear or promote or advertise, and they reside within people whom you'd never know had them unless you spent some actual time with them on a personal level.

When you're cool, you don't give a shit who thinks you are or not. In fact, the thought doesn't even cross your mind. It's just reflected in your character and natural demeanor. Some of the coolest people I've ever met are combat veterans, who've experienced Hell, yet pushed on to lead quiet, unassuming lives, taking care of their loved ones and showing compassion and understanding to their fellow man depite having been thrust into horrific situations the uninitiated can't even imagine. Some of the coolest people I've ever met also include those who've faced austere or tragic beginnings, and drew on their inner strength to accomplish things, to work to their potential to be the best they can be, without blaming others for their hard times or feeling entitled to something not theirs.

That's why I see very little "coolness" on the Left today, because their icons pretty much represent the polar opposite of that described above. Their "courage" is a strident voice in a bullhorn amongst the mob and their "compassion" extends no further than that which can be extracted from their neighbours' pockets at the point of a government gun. All the Che t-shirts and musical insruments and fancy rhetoric on the planet isn't going to make that "cool". 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 06:11:49 PM by dandi »
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Strider

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
And this matters how in the current state of geopolitical and domestic turmoil??? :mental:
NEWS FLASH!!!!
Nobody gives a frogs fat ass what YOU think is cool right now..... :bird:
you better hope being lazy and stupid becomes fashionable pretty soon.

Come to think of it...if being cool means you have to be a liberal dumbass, then I would be  proud to claim the title of dork....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 06:14:29 PM by Strider »

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »
The drunken one is missing one very important point:  Hip young people don't say "cool" anymore - they say "kewl."  So what does that say about the drunken idiot?  He's uncooooooooooooool.

:rotf:

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 07:02:15 PM »
Caught somewhere in time

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
So maturity and logic aren't cool?  Good.  I'll stay hot.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 07:35:13 PM »
I never was the kind of person to care about popularity anyway. I want to be right and that's all that matters
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
I am not cool,I never was cool,I never will be cool and I don`t give a crap.

Juvenile idiots.

Offline jukin

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
What a bunch of echo chamber losers.

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 09:03:02 PM »
Who gives a flying **** what some DU butt plug thinks is "cool"?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »
Who gives a flying **** what some DU butt plug thinks is "cool"?

One definitely has a problem if one does.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 10:25:24 PM »

BABY!!!!!!!

I'm cool, its about 20 degrees outside!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 11:04:18 PM »
 :bawl:

I can't believe how my life's ambition has been shattered, to have been dismissed out of hand by a DUmp Monkey as uncool, and never to become such.  I might as well end it all now.  Hell, I might as well become a ****in' emo kid like the DUmp Monkeys, and sit around all day contemplating my navel.

Booo ****in' hooooo.   :rotf: :-) :lmao: :naughty: :rotf: :tongue: :fuelfire: :-) :loser: :lmao: :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »
Robert Duvall, James Woods, Dennis Hopper, Chuck Norris...

Nope.  Not cool.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »

What about Ted Nugent, Gary Sinise, Fred Thompson, Kelsey Grammer, Clint Eastwood, Drew Carey,
and Chuck Norris ? 

Johnny Ramone was a conservative and handled the bands finances on the road.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:29 PM »
Johnny Ramone was a conservative and handled the bands finances on the road.

Yeah he said Ronald Reagan was the “best pres in my lifetime”

Rest in Peace Johnny  :cheersmate: