Author Topic: Bats  (Read 17065 times)

Offline CG6468

Bats
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »
Anyone here have bats on their property? (Not in the house or in the belfry.) They eat many, many mosquitoes and other flying insects.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Bats
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »
I've heard that.  There are plants you can put on your property to attract them as well as bat houses.

A local show had an episode on bats... it was interesting.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »
I've heard that.  There are plants you can put on your property to attract them as well as bat houses.

A local show had an episode on bats... it was interesting.

We have them near us in the woods, but not on the property. At dusk we can see them flitting around catching insect critters. The skeeter population goes way down when the bats zoom overhead.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:35 PM »
That would be nice to have around here but there are no caves nearby.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
That would be nice to have around here but there are no caves nearby.

No caves around here. They nest in holes in hollow trees.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
Not a lot of trees around here.  I'm in between the city and the airport.  That's probably why there weren't a lot of cicadas the other year either. :p

Offline CG6468

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
Not a lot of trees around here.  I'm in between the city and the airport.  That's probably why there weren't a lot of cicadas the other year either. :p

We get the cicadas. And lots of ants, but I keep the ants under control. And the damned chipmunks - they're allergic to lead injections from my .22.

A few years ago we had an infestation of groundhogs. With the neighbors' permissions, we shot and killed 23 of them in about 3 weeks. Presto! No more problem.

Now we have a lot of feral cats around us. If they become a problem...

The deer will now start coming, too. Our Macintosh apple tree is dropping small apples, and the deer love them.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 11:15:44 PM »
I'm not one bit afraid of bats in general. But the vampire bat in particular scares me.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
I'm not one bit afraid of bats in general. But the vampire bat in particular scares me.

No sweat in this country, it's not within its range.

Vampire Bats

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:44 AM »
Neat little animals. Catching them in free flight can be a pain.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:57 AM »
We get the cicadas. And lots of ants, but I keep the ants under control. And the damned chipmunks - they're allergic to lead injections from my .22.

A few years ago we had an infestation of groundhogs. With the neighbors' permissions, we shot and killed 23 of them in about 3 weeks. Presto! No more problem.

Now we have a lot of feral cats around us. If they become a problem...

The deer will now start coming, too. Our Macintosh apple tree is dropping small apples, and the deer love them.

I like how you think....I live in town so pellet gun works for the squirrels in the garden digging up veggies.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »
I like how you think....I live in town so pellet gun works for the squirrels in the garden digging up veggies.

I also inject moles with lead.

There was one that really damaged our yard. I put down the tailgate on my truck, put a 6-pack on it, got a lawn chair and my rifle, and I waited. Not too long, either. I saw him burrowing under the ground; the grass shook and a tunnel was being formed. I shot him through the ground 2 times, just to make sure.

When I told my wife (you ready for this one?) she asked if I had buried it!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
Do these vermin have a lead deficient diet ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »
Do these vermin have a lead deficient diet ?

I worry about that.  ::)  But I see to it that they are up to snuff with the lead in their diet.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »

There was one that really damaged our yard. I put down the tailgate on my truck, put a 6-pack on it, got a lawn chair and my rifle, and I waited. Not too long, either. I saw him burrowing under the ground; the grass shook and a tunnel was being formed. I shot him through the ground 2 times, just to make sure.

When I told my wife (you ready for this one?) she asked if I had buried it!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ROFLAO!!!! That is greatness both the 6 pack hunt and the wife question side.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »
Bats you say ????    When you spend good money to buy a bat house for the yard to keep the mosquitoes away, do not buy unless  you can also buy Bat Guano in a jar to paint the insides of the Bat house with.

A family in the next town builds these houses and charges an extra $25.00 for one with the Guano inside the house.  From what I understand without the Guano to attract the bats your Bat house is nothing but a regular bird house.     

My State puts up thousands of Bat houses in swampy or marsh areas,   some poachers will wait for the bats to leave for the night and steal the houses to collect the Guano it is not easy or cheap to buy Bat Shit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »

I have an intermittent problem with moles, but as I've got 3.2 acres, I don't generally worry about it. There's a guy with traps I can call -- he charges me $20 for every trapped (and killed) mole. That got expensive, so I just blew it off. The damn things and their tunnels aren't pretty, but hell, I've got too much area to worry about it any more.

Now muskrats in my pond? That's a whole 'nuther critter. They damage the pond dams, and that's a much bigger problem, so I pull out my Marlin .22 and administer hot lead injections to those bastards. Usually one shot, one kill.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
Bats and no Belfry ?

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »
We've got those little ones.  They roost in the attic vent louvers.  I wish we had more because this has been a mast year for mosquitoes.

The dogs have been taking care of the moles, voles and possums.  They've killed more in the last few months than in the four years we've lived here.