Author Topic: How many friendships have you had to end  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Mary Ann

How many friendships have you had to end
« on: March 07, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/1172206072

flibbitygiblets (1,215 posts)

Last edited Wed Feb 28, 2018, 11:52 AM - Edit history (1)

as a result of their "gun fever"?

I've had to cut ties with dozens of people.
Some of them were mere acquaintances, so no big loss.

Last night I said goodbye and good luck to a close friend of 20 years. He'd marched with me against the Iraq war. A highly intelligent man, who seems to have traveled a path from libertarianism to full on gun nuttery. I should also mention that along with the ramped up gun advocacy, I observed increasing signs of racism, fascism and religious intolerance. It breaks my heart, this is not the person I once knew.

I am not silent when I disengage these folks. I tell them exactly why I can no longer be their friend. I think its important to stand up to them so they know there are consequences to their stubborn insistence that more guns are the only possible answer. Usually they are angry and spiteful, and oddly, seem to feel misunderstood.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like this is a national madness that is spreading? How did it infect these seemingly reasonable people? Will it infect me or my family?

And one other thing. Its been insinuated here that I've insulated myself from people with differing opinions. That's completely untrue, and I apologize for not being clearer in my original post. I was, and am still pretty heartbroken, as well as concerned, sorry I wasn't more articulate. Respectful, thoughtful discussion of these difficult subjects is the only way to resolve them.
Surprisingly, this moron gets her a$$ handed to her. Maybe the DUmp has more rational people than I had previously assumed. Anyway, it's worth a row over to the island to take a look. Flibbitygiblets just keeps digging a deeper and deeper hole.

Offline Delmar

Re: How many friendships have you had to end
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:02:12 PM »
Response to flibbitygiblets (Original post)Mon Feb 26, 2018, 11:23 AM
Star Member DUgosh (2,362 posts)
1. Bff from high school since 1975

First reply, right out of the gate.

Doesn't BFF stand for best friends forever?  I guess not.  Breaking ties with a BFF for exercising a right.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:07:38 PM »
friendships never end you moron.  If politics weigh in then it's not friendship you ignorant moron.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
Quote from:
flibbitygiblets

Usually they are angry and spiteful, and oddly, seem to feel misunderstood.

From the mouths of babes. Once again a primitive perfectly describes the posters at DU.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:45:57 PM »
I am not silent when I disengage these folks. I tell them exactly why I can no longer be their friend.

And they have a big sigh of relief to be rid of a psychotic ass hole like you. :mental: :loser: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 12:18:29 AM »
First reply, right out of the gate.

Doesn't BFF stand for best friends forever?  I guess not.  Breaking ties with a BFF for exercising a right.

BFF = Big Fox Fan

j/k

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 02:06:32 AM »
What an arrogant, pathetic pigstwat  .

flibbitygiblets

I am not silent when I disengage these folks. I tell them exactly why I can no longer be their friend. I think its important to stand up to them so they know there are consequences to their stubborn insistence that more guns are the only possible answer. Usually they are angry and spiteful, and oddly, seem to feel misunderstood.
Usually they are happy and over-joyed, and oddly, seem to feel relieved.
 (Closer to the truth)
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 04:55:55 AM »
Or, maybe you're an asshole.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 05:42:32 AM »
And they have a big sigh of relief to be rid of a psychotic ass hole like you. :mental: :loser: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
At least until the next month when they get the call : "Hey man, things are a little tight here, think you could spare a couple of bucks to keep the water from getting shut off? "
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
I call BS. DUmmies would have already cut off friends for 1. Voting for Bush 2. Voting against Obama 3. Voting for Trump... etc...etc....
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »
At least until the next month when they get the call : "Hey man, things are a little tight here, think you could spare a couple of bucks to keep the water from getting shut off? "

Now that sounds exactly like something a dummie would do.  :rotf:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »

Those peopel are so over the top crazy and filled with hate it amazes me that they can even have a friend. Except some bots on social media. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 11:02:02 PM »
flibbitygiblets (1,215 posts)

Last edited Wed Feb 28, 2018, 11:52 AM - Edit history (1)

as a result of their "gun fever"?

I've had to cut ties with dozens of people.
Some of them were mere acquaintances, so no big loss.

Last night I said goodbye and good luck to a close friend of 20 years. He'd marched with me against the Iraq war. A highly intelligent man, who seems to have traveled a path from libertarianism to full on gun nuttery. I should also mention that along with the ramped up gun advocacy, I observed increasing signs of racism, fascism and religious intolerance. It breaks my heart, this is not the person I once knew.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like this is a national madness that is spreading? How did it infect these seemingly reasonable people? Will it infect me or my family?

And one other thing. Its been insinuated here that I've insulated myself from people with differing opinions. That's completely untrue, and I apologize for not being clearer in my original post. I was, and am still pretty heartbroken, as well as concerned, sorry I wasn't more articulate. Respectful, thoughtful discussion of these difficult subjects is the only way to resolve them.

Talk about petty!  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »
None.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 02:18:57 PM »
I've had several from both party persuasions that have dropped friendships with me.

Many of them, believe it or not, are card carrying members of the Trump cult of personality, who're upset that I am just as critical of the current leftist New York democrat in the center seat as I was of Reggie Love's Li'l Bitch.

Ah well; I miss them, but they are just as "free, white and 21" as I am and entitled to make their own choices. The point is that there are absolutists on both sides.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 07:55:06 AM »
The only dimocrat I considered a friend died before the election.  He wasn't going to vote Trump OR Hillary.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 10:52:46 AM »
The only dimocrat I considered a friend died before the election.  He wasn't going to vote Trump OR Hillary.

Probably voted many times for Hillary, unfortunately.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
Probably voted many times for Hillary, unfortunately.
True.