Author Topic: Hello.  (Read 30951 times)

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
  • Poster boy for the mentally challenged
Hello.
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
I'm never sure to say in these things.

I'm a veteran (US Army, infantry, 10 years...Gimpy knee cut my career short back in 95/96), and am currently the maintenance chief at a chemical refinery owned by Big Oil.

I am a complete misanthrope.  I prefer to discuss politics, etc, online...Because I can't stand people enough to be around them in person for more than a few minutes.  If I had my way, there'd be a lot less people stinking up my planet.

Politically, I'm not sure what I am, but I'm certainly not a democrat or a republican, or any of the various spin-off parties.

I can't be a liberal, because I like guns, money, and the modicum of power I have secured for myself.

I can't be a conservative, because I like freedom of religion (ANY religion), industrial regulation (but not for the normal reason), and I can't abide the idea of America using torture, directly or by proxy. 

That's about it, I suppose.
What can we do to help you stop screaming?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Hello.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
Welcome?  I think?  :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
Welcome.  How did you find CC? 

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »
Welcome to CC.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
Welcome.  How did you find CC? 

When the political board I was used to took a crap, I hit google.  I have no use for DU or freerepublic, and this was the next hit I got on my search terms.

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »

• Oh snap!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
What makes you think that being a conservative automatically means one is intolerant to religions other than one's own (assuming that's what you meant)?

And what do you mean by "torture?" Waterboarding? Talking tough? Slapping around a bit? Or digging a tool under fingernails perhaps?

Do tell.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:39:38 AM »
What makes you think that being a conservative automatically means one is intolerant to religions other than one's own (assuming that's what you meant)?

I don't think it's automatic.  I do think that it's prevalent and mainstream among modern conservatives, though.  For example:

On Thursday, shortly before he interviewed Rep. Michele Bachmann on his radio program, Fischer shared another opinion: That because of their faith Muslim Americans have “no fundamental First Amendment claims.” Bachmann, who speaks at an AFA event in Iowa today, is not the first potential 2012 candidate from Minnesota to join Fischer; Tim Pawlenty met with him in January.

Fischer is an extremist, in my opinion, but he does hang out with some big names in conservativism, who feel no apparent need to distance themselves from comments like that.

And what do you mean by "torture?" Waterboarding? Talking tough? Slapping around a bit? Or digging a tool under fingernails perhaps?

Do tell.

Waterboarding and up, IMO.  The guideline we are held to by treaty (and thus by article VI of the constitution) is the Geneva Convention's definition, as listed under article 147.

[p.598] ' Torture. ' -- The word torture has different acceptations. It is used sometimes even in the sense of purely moral suffering, but in view of the other expressions which follow (i.e. inhuman treatment including biological experiments and suffering, etc.) it seems that it must be given here its, so to speak, legal meaning -- i.e., the infliction of suffering on a person to obtain from that person, or from another person, confessions or information.

• Oh snap!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
:popcorn:

How about that Sarah Palin? 

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:54:29 AM »
:popcorn:

How about that Sarah Palin? 

Not too wild about her, to be honest.  She's a liability, IMO.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »
Not too wild about her, to be honest.  She's a liability, IMO.

What is your take on the tea party movement?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:13 PM »
Not too wild about her, to be honest.  She's a liability, IMO.

A liability for whom? Libs in general?

Oh, please don't tell me -- her touring bus ran over a squirrel. That's it, right? That's her liability. I can see it now, as trumpeted by the Daily Kos:

"Sarah Palin's Tour Bus Runs Over Defenseless Squirrel"

Then a long diatribe as how clueless Palin is because she didn't know the difference between a red squirrel and a gray squirrel.  :whatever:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
So are you saying, Dok, that ANY attempt to elicit information from an enemy is illegal, immoral, and fattening, as long as such attempts fit the rather broad-brush definition you apparently quoted from the Geneva Convention?

Does that mean we can't take a jihadist, strip him naked, have him drink a half gallon of water (slowly, as not to upset his electrolyte levels), then have him piss against the wind?

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:12 PM »
What is your take on the tea party movement?

Which one?

One of the strengths of the tea party movement is that they aren't centralized.  Here in Arizona, they made a pretty good showing - at least up North - and will be viable in 2012.

Overall, though, they're pretty much a detriment, as they actively marginalize anyone who isn't hard right.  The GOP can't survive as a "small tent" party, and the tea party itself seems to have been a flash in the pan, as demonstrated by their lousy turnout numbers over the last year or so.

The question, on a national level, is "Do you want the GOP to be inclusive or exclusive"?  Do you drive out everyone who disagrees on even a single plank of the conservative platform, or do you accept that very few people (less than 20% of Americans) accept every position that the party takes?

Because if you are more interested in driving out "RINOs" than in winning elections, then the tea party is probably for you in 2012.  If, however, you're willing to focus on a core set of beliefs, and accept dissent in the ranks on things of lesser importance, then you probably should steer clear of the tea party.

Personally, I'm a "big tent" thinker.  I'd rather have the dissenters inside the tent pissing out, than outside pissing in.

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »
A liability for whom? Libs in general?

Oh, please don't tell me -- her touring bus ran over a squirrel. That's it, right? That's her liability. I can see it now, as trumpeted by the Daily Kos:

"Sarah Palin's Tour Bus Runs Over Defenseless Squirrel"

Then a long diatribe as how clueless Palin is because she didn't know the difference between a red squirrel and a gray squirrel.  :whatever:

No, she's a liability to the republican party.

But if you'd rather just put words in my mouth, go ahead.  Doesn't cost me a dime.

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:25:40 PM »
So are you saying, Dok, that ANY attempt to elicit information from an enemy is illegal, immoral, and fattening, as long as such attempts fit the rather broad-brush definition you apparently quoted from the Geneva Convention?

Does that mean we can't take a jihadist, strip him naked, have him drink a half gallon of water (slowly, as not to upset his electrolyte levels), then have him piss against the wind?

Why not just "schedule shifting"?  It's legal, harmless, and - more to the point - it works.  The Germans and Russians had that shit figured out in the 40s, and they got far better information than the Japanese did, who used waterboarding and far worse techniques.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »
Welcome...
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »
Personally, I'm a "big tent" thinker.  I'd rather have the dissenters inside the tent pissing out, than outside pissing in.

At what point, in your opinion, do the dissenters dilute the message?

Do you drive out everyone who disagrees on even a single plank of the conservative platform, or do you accept that very few people (less than 20% of Americans) accept every position that the party takes

What are the positions the tea party movement takes? 

the tea party itself seems to have been a flash in the pan, as demonstrated by their lousy turnout numbers over the last year or so

700+ seats nationwide flipped in 2010. 

• Oh snap!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »
If Palin/Bachmann ran on the same ticket, you would _________.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »
Welcome.  Hope you enjoy it here.  It's a fun place and lot's of smart people...and we have a vesta  :hyper:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Doktor Howl

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »
At what point, in your opinion, do the dissenters dilute the message?

When they drag the party away from what the party considers its core planks.

What do you consider "core"?  Because getting people to agree on that is the hard part.

What are the positions the tea party movement takes? 

I was speaking of their need to drive out the "RINOs".

700+ seats nationwide flipped in 2010. 

And how's that working out for you?  The deficit has been reduced?  Spending has been significantly cut (1% ain't gonna make the nut)?  Has anything been accomplished?

Tea party rallies are dismal affairs, these days...And who can blame them?  They were promised action, and they got the same old song and dance.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »
Welcome.  Hope you enjoy it here.  It's a fun place and lot's of smart people...and we have a vesta  :hyper:

Gina!  Don't ruin the surprise!   :whistling:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »
Welcome!

Unless, that is, you start praising Ron Paul....

:-)

Intolerance, btw, is prevalant on both extremes; that's why they're extreme. I think, if you give this place a try, you'll like it.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies