Author Topic: primitive suggests that water-challenged Texans drink water from commodes  (Read 409 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215122635

Oh my.  I had gone over to Skins' island with the intent of coming back with a primitive thread honoring the late and lamented Rush Limbaugh, but found this first.

dalton99a (58,991 posts)     Wed Feb 17, 2021, 02:35 PM

First no power, now no water in Austin

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/list-central-texas-boil-water-notices-mount-due-to-lack-of-power/

First no power, now water problems mount across Central Texas

CENTRAL TEXAS (KXAN) — Many water treatment plants have lost power, and utilities across Central Texas are telling customers to boil their water. Here is a list of those broken down by county.

Travis County

Austin – Austin Water is mandating utility customers conserve water after numerous broken pipes, water main breaks, and high demand has led to a surge in water demand up 250% from a typical day.

--------------------------------------------

The numerous replies to Austin Water on Twitter indicate residents across multiple zip codes have no water at all - many since yesterday - and stores have run out of bottled water. Roads are frozen with ice.

Well, what's keeping Xiden from flying in Air Force One to rescue all these hapless people; isn't this Joe's job now?

Miguelito Loveless (2,919 posts)

1. How do people boil water with no electricity?

Skittles (133,452 posts)

3. THANK YOU

catbyte (24,917 posts)

4. Only the lucky ones with gas stoves. The ovens don't work because the thermostat runs on electricity

but the burners do.

marlakay (8,621 posts)

7. They can't my daughter went nuts for

2 days. I told her to buy camping stove for the future. At one point they stayed in car for hours to warm up.

11. She needs to make sure that the tailpipe

is completely clear, to prevent CO build up in the car. Also, avoid enclosed places like a garage, unless door, window open.

Totally Tunsie (9,026 posts)

8. Gas stove.

To light a gas burner without electricity, first strike a match (we recommend the long wooden kitchen matches to lower the risk of burning yourself), and hold it directly next to the flame ports. Immediately turn the gas knob to the lowest possible setting. Your burner should ignite almost instantaneously.

Feb 1, 2018
Can Gas Ranges Run Without Electricity? | PCRichard.comwww.pcrichard.com › library › blogArticle › can-gas-r...

10. If you have a gas stove, that's great

otherwise...

MissB (14,213 posts)

9. The boil water notice is typically put into effect

Once the water runs below a certain pressure or is out completely. If there is a reservoir, some folks might have water for a bit longer.

But once water is restored, the system still has to flush the lines as best they can and take some samples to test for coliform. It can take a day or two to get the lab results back, so folks stay on the boil water until the all clear is given.

Some people have camp stoves or bbqs with a side burner. Not sure how extensive natural gas is in that state, but I’m without power here in Oregon (day 4...) and can use the stovetop because it’s gas - just need to use a match to start the burner and keep a window open.

MissB (14,213 posts)

2. Always good to have an emergency stash of water

Sucks that the water plants don’t have enough backup power generation capacity.

A few of our towns have gotten caught short in the ice/snow storm last week but nearby unaffected cities stepped up and loaned generators to help keep the water flowing.

I’m more concerned about the flooding that will likely start in our state next week (Oregon).

marlakay (8,621 posts)

5. Wonder what all the tech companies

Are thinking that just moved there. Get their own power source I bet.

My daughter and son n law moved there because no state tax, but their property tax is more than both of mine and Oregon has high income taxes.

Gas might be cheap but electricity isn't.

Peacetrain (20,941 posts)

6. The water in the back of your toliet tank is the same water that came out of your faucet

as long as you do not have any of those cleaners in the tank for continuous cleaning of the bowl.. it should be okay.. that is what we are always told..
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

Re: primitive suggests that water-challenged Texans drink water from commodes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »
I'm guessing CA Proggies are having a good laugh at TX having blackout and such, but they forget something. For TX this is once in a century kind of weather. The chances of rolling blackouts in CA in about six months are high, and they are an every year or two phenomenon. And unlike CA, TX will learn to be less dependent on bird choppers and solar panels for baseload power.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 02:31:29 PM »

1. How do people boil water with no electricity?

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 03:10:28 PM »

marlakay (8,621 posts)

5. Wonder what all the tech companies

Are thinking that just moved there. Get their own power source I bet.

My daughter and son n law moved there because no state tax, but their property tax is more than both of mine and Oregon has high income taxes.

Gas might be cheap but electricity isn't.

I absolutely LOVE this one. I could make $10MM/year in salary and I’d pay zero state income tax. Yes, our property taxes are higher than states without an income tax, but if I choose to live in a $750k house, which in my area could be a large water front home, I’d pay far less in taxes than I would in state income tax on $10MM.

It’s my choice. Hell, I could choose to live in a $350k house and shelter all kinds of funds.

LOL suck it dumbass.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 05:45:05 PM »
so while DUmmies are trying to figure out how to boil water without electricity and blame the Texas gop because of the cold weather, here is how real people cope with the cold weather. Minus 9 degrees in Amarillo and this Transmission shop continues to work as if it's another day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzl-OG6apxU
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020