Author Topic: Laptop freezing up  (Read 5334 times)

Offline guest

Laptop freezing up
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:18:59 PM »
My Sony VAIO for some reason, will not stop freezing up, no matter which web browser I used.  I  got rid of a bunch of useless programs, but nothing changed.

I installed an Adobe Flash Player update about an hour ago, and that's when all hell seemed to break loose.   I tried to remove it, but it freezes every time I attempt to do so, and I have to restart the computer.  If anyone has any ideas on how to get that plugin out, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'm taking the damn thing back to GeekSquad for overpriced repairs since I don't know of any other local options.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:23:55 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Laptop freezing up
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:27:31 PM »
when it's booting up, press F8 right after the POST (power on self test) boot into safe mode and delete (uninstall) it from there. How much RAM do you have (not hard drive space, but RAM) and what speed processor??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:34:09 PM »
when it's booting up, press F8 right after the POST (power on self test) boot into safe mode and delete (uninstall) it from there. How much RAM do you have (not hard drive space, but RAM) and what speed processor??

I have no idea how much RAM I have... I've tried looking for all that, but each time I try, the computer freezes.  I've been trying to get to the control panel, but I can't even get to that now.   
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 11:39:19 PM »
Okay, I tried to boot in safe mode, and got to that point, but I don't know what to do after that.  I got a screen full of all the programs, but it wouldn't allow me to do anything after that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:55:57 PM »
Okay, I got it removed.  Took me a few tries, but I got it.  I hope to God that was the culprit.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:58:15 PM »
My Sony VAIO for some reason, will not stop freezing up, no matter which web browser I used.  I  got rid of a bunch of useless programs, but nothing changed.

I installed an Adobe Flash Player update about an hour ago, and that's when all hell seemed to break loose.   I tried to remove it, but it freezes every time I attempt to do so, and I have to restart the computer.  If anyone has any ideas on how to get that plugin out, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'm taking the damn thing back to GeekSquad for overpriced repairs since I don't know of any other local options.

if you have "system restore" enabled, you could load from a restore point that was created before the trouble began. 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:58:52 PM »
Okay, I got it removed.  Took me a few tries, but I got it.  I hope to God that was the culprit.

never mind, then. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 12:11:03 AM »
Well, Adobe WAS the culprit, but now I can't use Youtube, and Firefox is f***ed up.  :(

I try to click on the Firefox icon, and I get an error message each time.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 12:13:09 AM »
I have no idea how much RAM I have... I've tried looking for all that, but each time I try, the computer freezes.  I've been trying to get to the control panel, but I can't even get to that now.   
Start>cmd>mem (n the DOS box)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 12:16:40 AM »
Start>cmd>mem (n the DOS box)

I'll check that tomorrow.  I've caused enough trouble this evening, I think, and my computer would probably like a break from me too.  :uhsure:  :thatsright:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 12:37:42 AM »
I'll check that tomorrow.  I've caused enough trouble this evening, I think, and my computer would probably like a break from me too.  :uhsure:  :thatsright:
You posted your pic I think -- your computer will be a guy about the whole thing.  If you are hawt it will roll over.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 10:05:21 AM »
Stop down loading prOn.     :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
Well, Adobe WAS the culprit, but now I can't use Youtube, and Firefox is f***ed up.  :(

I try to click on the Firefox icon, and I get an error message each time.

You'll have to download a previous version of Adobe if the new one was causing problems.  I had the same issue a while back.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
The easiest thing to do is go to www.belarc.com and download their free Belarc Advisor. That will tell you bunches and bunches of stuff about your PC or laptop. Install it, run it, and go from there.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 12:14:21 PM »
Thanks, y'all.  My computer's back to normal for now.  After the system restore (took the computer back about a week to November 28th, when I had to reinstall Java, due to a separate issue. no problems after that),I updated to Firefox 3, and there was no need for me to reinstall the Adobe Flash Player, it seems. :cheersmate: