Author Topic: ‘Bridge to Microsoft’ Is One of Puget Sound Prizes in Stimulus  (Read 1211 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
March 13 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., which has $20 billion of cash in the bank, is among the first in the Puget Sound area to benefit from the investment in roads and bridges through President Barack Obama’s stimulus plan.

Local planners allotted $11 million of $214 million awarded to the region to help pay for a highway overpass in Redmond, Washington, connecting one part of Microsoft’s wooded campus with another. The world’s largest software maker will contribute almost half of the $36.5 million cost. Other federal and local money will pay the rest.

Work is scheduled to begin by June, while larger projects in the area await funding, including replacing an elevated highway in Seattle damaged by a 2001 earthquake and a bridge over Lake Washington at risk of cracking in a windstorm. Spending watchdogs and even some Microsoft employees see more pressing needs.

“I’m sure Steve Ballmer or Bill Gates could finance this out of pocket change,” Steve Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, said of Microsoft’s chief executive officer and chairman. “Subsidizing an overpass to one of the richest companies in the country certainly isn’t going to be the best use of our precious dollars.

link

Your tax dollars at work. 

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
link

Your tax dollars at work waste. 

Fixed  :-)
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: ‘Bridge to Microsoft’ Is One of Puget Sound Prizes in Stimulus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »
With the taxes MS pays in the area $11 mil don't sound too bad, also note that MS is picking up more then 50% of the project.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
So lets see...a bridge in Alaska is bad.

A Dem funded bridge to Microsoft is good?

:thatsright:

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn