Author Topic: Merrick Garland heading to Chicago to tackle surging gun violence  (Read 671 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
brooklynite (71,468 posts)

Merrick Garland heading to Chicago to tackle surging gun violence
Source: Politico

Attorney General Merrick Garland is heading to his hometown of Chicago on Thursday to signal the Biden administration’s commitment to reining in the surge of gun violence plaguing many of America’s biggest cities.

Garland is set to unveil a set of new gun “strike forces” aimed at shutting down the pipelines of guns being illegally trafficked into urban centers, but his visit is sure to be received with some skepticism as just the latest policy pronouncement from Washington. Shootings in the Windy City have seemed out of control for years, particularly in the summer.

Last weekend, 56 people were shot in Chicago; 11 of them fatally. Over the Fourth of July weekend, at least 108 people were shot with at least 17 people killed, according to the Chicago Tribune.

"We are redoubling our efforts as ATF works with law enforcement to track the movement of illegal firearms used in violent crimes," Garland said in a statement. "These strike forces enable sustained coordination across multiple jurisdictions to help disrupt the worst gun trafficking corridors."

More DUmmy sophistry about Chicago gun violence

The DUmmy canon as it relates to Chicago gun violence is that there would be NO gun violence if white people from Indiana would stop essentially shipping crates of guns there and forcing people to carry them and kill each other.
That is the only way to interpret crap like this:

Star Member PortTack (20,551 posts)
1. Illinois has some of the best gun laws in the nation...we have this shitty neighbor..Indiana

Where most of the guns used in these crimes came from

Which is, again, the DUmmy canon.

We are meant to believe one of two things:

1. People in Chicago (by this I mean mostly young black men, of course) would love to shoot and kill each other without end, and they would, but for the restrictive local gun laws. "I would blow your head off," they imagine gangsters say, "so consider yourself lucky that there are such restrictive gun laws here in Chicago. But for handguns being frowned upon by the law, I would have one or more of them, and at that point I would bust a great many caps in your ass, and you would die forthwith, and my troubles with you would be over."

OR

2. People in Chicago (by this I mean mostly young black men, of course) have no desire whatsoever to shoot anyone with a gun, irrespective of the restrictive gun laws. It's just the well-known bloodthirsty white people in Indiana who are cynically and cruelly forcing guns on the youth of Chicago, and are then demanding that these young men take to the streets to slaughter each other. "See here," the DUmmies imagine gangsters saying to each other, "I am keen to settle our differences logically and peacefully. But earlier I was accosted by a man from Indiana who thrust a semiautomatic pistol in my hand and demanded I kill one or more people. Now, we all know one another to do what we are told, so I have no choice but to smoke yo' ass with this Nine, which will render my issues with you not exactly solved, you see, but moot. Yet at the same time I will have fulfilled the demand of the man from Indiana that I kill one or more people, so on balance we have made some progress after all."

Naturally, this is insane: young black men are destroying much of Chicago without a care in the world and with no plans to stop, and they get their own guns and make their own decisions. I would simply like to know which of the two scenarios above the DUmmies reckon best describes the situation.

Lurkers: which is it?
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Merrick Garland heading to Chicago to tackle surging gun violence
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 07:21:43 PM »
I wonder if this gun violence is happening all over Chicago or in a particular part of the city? Say, the South side?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 07:23:11 PM »
Why not deal with the drugs that provide the income and incentives for gangs to buy guns?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Delmar

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 07:52:22 PM »
Response to brooklynite (Original post)Thu Jul 22, 2021, 05:12 PM
Star Member paleotn (10,445 posts)
2. He should be going to Indiana. That's where the problem lies.

He should go to the Supreme Court of the United States and take the tour for the also-rans.

Although the Supreme Court does not offer guided walking tours, visitors are encouraged to tour public portions of the building on a self-guided basis and take advantage of a variety of educational programs, including Courtroom Lectures and court-related Exhibitions. In addition to the Courtroom, portions of the first and ground floors are open to the public. Highlights include the John Marshall statue, portraits and busts of former Justices, and two self-supporting marble staircases. The Courtroom is located on the first floor.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/visiting/whatcaniseeanddo.aspx
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 09:56:50 PM »
There's a reason they talk about "iillegal firearms". Because the real problem is illegal possessors.

Outside NFA, there rreally isn't any such thing as an illegal firearm, but they want stupid people to believe that there is in the context they're trying to set.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 10:39:38 PM »
Note: Merrick is NOT there to stop the ongoing crime wave, just to plug up loop holes with cross state gun purchases.

~~Maybe if he actually went downtown and started frisking gang members, removing guns, and fighting ACTUAL CRIME, he might accomplish something. But it is more important to stop a pretend crime, and keep the Democrat agenda that all guns are bad, than to stop people killing each other.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 07:37:18 AM »
This will amount to nothing but innocent gun stores being targeted and that fool will try and shut them down.

The thugs in Chicago are buying guns that have been stolen outside the city, not guns that were straw purchased for them.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 07:52:39 AM »
This will amount to nothing but innocent gun stores being targeted and that fool will try and shut them down.

The thugs in Chicago are buying guns that have been stolen outside the city, not guns that were straw purchased for them.

At which point, lefty will demand all guns be stored in government approved safes that are prohibitively expensive and a registry to track guns that are stolen.

Chicago isn't the focal point. It's the pretext.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 08:08:46 AM »
When Chicago starts getting thugs off the streets, "gun violence" and the other sorts of violence Dem pols seem not to give a @#$% about will decrease.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 11:45:11 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 11:33:31 AM »

Chicago isn't the focal point. It's the pretext.

Of course. For years Democrats have ignored black on black crime. Now they have finally figured a way to use it to go after law abiding gun owners while still not punishing the criminals.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 03:48:35 PM »
Star Member PortTack (20,551 posts)
1. Illinois has some of the best gun laws in the nation...we have this shitty neighbor..Indiana

Where most of the guns used in these crimes came from

That is not in evidence.

Maybe Illinois is the shitty neighbor.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 02:17:55 PM »
When Biden takes his "cognitive test",  Merrick Garland should also take one.
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne