Author Topic: Abortion Rate Among Black Women Far Exceeds Rate for Other Groups  (Read 1633 times)

Offline bijou

Quite a long article which also summarises the Planned Parenthood recorded phone call story, but the figures are interesting and worth reading.

... A Planned Parenthood spokeswoman wrote that the organization “denounces racial bias,” and “what is deeply troubling is that an opponent of reproductive health care is baiting Planned Parenthood employees with deceptive, politically motivated tactics.”

Blacks do, indeed, have much higher rates of abortions than whites or other minority groups. In 2000, while blacks made up 17 percent of live births, they made up more than twice that share of abortions (36 percent). If those aborted children had been born, the number of blacks born would have been slightly over 50 percent greater than it was.

The comparison with whites and other minorities is striking. Whites made up 78 percent of live births, but only 57 percent of abortions. Non-black minorities had 7 percent of live births and 5 percent of abortions. If the aborted children had been born for either group, the percentage increase in the number of children born to these groups would have been less than that for blacks: 16 and 32 percent, respectively.

Data from 1973 on indicate that black women's share of abortions has consistently been at least twice their share of live births.

But not all those babies would necessarily have been born if abortion were illegal or harder to obtain. A number of recent academic studies have found that making abortion more difficult results in less pre-marital sex and fewer pre-marital pregnancies.

Professor Jonathan Klick at the Florida State University Law School and Professor Thomas Stratmann at George Mason University authored a recent study claiming that Roe v. Wade increased premarital sex by as much as 25 percent, because the option of ending unwanted pregnancies through abortion made sex less risky.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348649,00.html

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Abortion Rate Among Black Women Far Exceeds Rate for Other Groups
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »
That phone call tape was chilling and shocking to say the least.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:36:09 PM »
The liberals, especially on Wikipedia, try so hard to hide the truth about Sanger and PlannedParenthood's racist beginnings, but they cannot.   
Birth Control Review, a monthly periodical she launched, has quite a few lovely quotes FROM her about abortion and race (but of course, the liberals try to pull the Ron Paul card on this, or just imagine it never happened  :lalala:)

as well as this one that was in a letter:

"We should hire three or four colored ministers, preferably with
social-service backgrounds, and with engaging personalities. The most
successful educational approach to the Negro is through a religious appeal.
We don't want the word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro
population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if
it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members."

-- Margaret Sanger's December 19, 1939 letter to Dr. Clarence Gamble, 255
Adams Street, Milton, Massachusetts. Original source: Sophia Smith
Collection, Smith College, North Hampton, Massachusetts. Also described in
Linda Gordon's Woman's Body, Woman's Right: A Social History of Birth
Control in America . New York: Grossman Publishers, 1976.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »
Holy shit. Seriously. That's as "eloquent" as I can muster.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline guest

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »
I don't know if this link has been posted here before, but I think it is worth posting again,if it has:

http://www.cwfa.org/articles/1466/CWA/life/index.htm

We've been discussing this topic in my Political History course, and once again, it's obvious my professor is quite uncomfortable in admitting the truth that liberals have a sordid past in regards to racism. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:55:55 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline bijou

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 03:06:11 PM »
Thanks for that extra info ACC. It should be more widely known than it is.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »
Thanks for that extra info ACC. It should be more widely known than it is.

No problem.   :)  It really should.  So far, Lila Rose is doing a fantastic job exposing PlannedParenthood for what it really is, but I think more needs to be done.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.