Author Topic: Young woman who went viral says she was victim of cancel culture: 'Social media  (Read 369 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Young woman who went viral says she was victim of cancel culture: 'Social media mob is out of control'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/fiona-moriarty-mclaughlin-viral-video-cancel-cancel-culture

Fiona Moriarty-McLaughlin's life turned upside down last month when a 17-second video, in which she appeared to interrupt a man boarding up a California store to pose with his power drill, went viral – but she says she feels like a victim of cancel culture who “stepped unwittingly into an online cesspool of sanctimony, false narratives, and clickbait” without getting to tell her side of the story.

The video has been played over 29 million times and Moriarty-McLaughlin was condemned by celebrities including the singer Pink, who called her a “horrible person.” Filmmaker Ava DuVernay captioned the video, “You know what? I’m... I think I’m gonna put Twitter away for a few minutes before I throw this phone across the room.”

The 21-year-old recent college graduate was supposed to work for the Washington Examiner as a summer intern, but after the video went viral the arrangement was canceled by a student free press association that helps young journalists seek careers in the industry.

The SJW mob is unrelenting.

Moriarty-McLaughlin: After two nights of protests and looting in Los Angeles that turned Santa Monica, the city I call home, into what resembled a war zone, I felt the need to do something. I wasn’t sure exactly what, but I thought I might visit the destruction and document what I saw. I had already begun to take short videos of the chaos. I’m a young journalist, and this reaction came naturally to me.

On June 1, I headed to downtown Santa Monica to record videos  of the devastation as well as workers fixing storefronts, stopping by Patagonia and Road Runner Sports on 4th Street. “These are the real heroes today, thank you guys,” I said aloud as I filmed.

I was struck by the sight of businesses boarded up. I asked my father to pull over so I could speak to a construction worker putting up plywood. As we discussed the cleanup, he handed me the drill in a joking and friendly manner. I went with it, and in the spur of the moment, a photo was snapped. There was absolutely no malicious intent, no big master plan. The accusation it was some sort of so-called “influencer” photo op or attempt to appear like I was cleaning up is completely false.

The video was posted later that day. Prominent public figures soon circulated the video, prompting it to go viral. All I wanted to do was record and recognize the work and back-breaking labor of individuals many take for granted who helped restore Los Angeles. But I stepped unwittingly into an online cesspool of sanctimony, false narratives, and clickbait.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:10:14 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
This has been out of hand for so long I don’t know if we can fix it.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen