Author Topic: steely primitive gives garlic progress report  (Read 847 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
steely primitive gives garlic progress report
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x65662

Oh my.

Some might remember from yesterday (Thursday) that the steely primitive had gotten 75 pounds (or something like that) of bulb garlic from a food giveaway place.

Richard Steele  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jun-04-09 02:23 PM
Original message

GARLIC WATCH: Day two!!!!

Thanks to fellow DUer 'eleny',

I currently have 5 pounds of fresh garlic in my food dehydrator.

It's been in there for over 24 hours now, and it looks like it's not gonna be "dried"
anytime soon.

But it's getting there.

Thanks again, ELENY!

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Thu Jun-04-09 02:29 PM
Response to Original message

1. Did you slice it razor thin

Garlic seems to have a lot of density and moisture. It will be a long time if you just put in the whole cloves.

Richard Steele  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jun-04-09 03:36 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Nope: whole cloves.

The extra time it takes to dry that way will be less time than it would take me to PEEL it all, let alone slice it.

I actually PEELED 4 Lbs of it for some other things, (3 dozen "spicy pickled eggs" and a quart jar of 'tomato pickled garlic') and that took me 2 nights in front of the TV, just peeling garlic cloves from 8:00 till 2am...so I had enough "peeling" to last me awhile.

(Right now, I've got a turkey breast and 5 medium-sized potatos BURIED in 4 pounds of unpeeled garlic bulbs roasting at 375 degrees)

The cloves in the dehydrator are shrinking nicely as they dry, and will pop right out of their paper wrappers when all is said and done.

kfred  (8 posts)     Thu Jun-04-09 05:28 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. Good Job, but it reminds me of...

I had a supervisor who bought a bushel of tomatoes to can - never canned before much less dealt with mass tomatoes. Normaly a bright person, she just read: peel the tomatoes not looking at the hints or techniques to do so.

Yep - she hand-peeled a bushel of tomatoes with a paring knife. She came to work on Monday with blisters and swearing up a storm.

Mira  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jun-04-09 10:31 PM
Response to Reply #4

7. Reminds me of a person who thought it was time she got in on planting tomato plants. She is a single woman, with a nice yard, and she never bothered to ask how "productive" a plant is, figuring each plant will produce one tomato.

She planted 87 plants.

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Fri Jun-05-09 12:05 AM
Response to Reply #2

8. You peeled 4 pounds of garlic....

An awesome task.

I'm glad it's working out. The turkey breast should be fabulous.

Richard Steele  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jun-05-09 01:52 AM
Response to Reply #8

9. Eleny,, in all seriousness: I think it might have been the best turkey i've ever eaten. 

Disclaimer: it turned out that the HUGE frozen "turkey breast" wasn't a 'breast' at all...it was a small turkey, bones and all, minus the original wings and legs.

The package was MISLABELED "Turkey breast". That's probably why it ended up at the "Discount Grocery Warehouse" where the housemates and I do so much of our shopping these days.

Disclamers aside: it was ****ING great!

Opinion here was split 75/25: 75% of the housemates said it was really great turkey, and 25% said it was the best turkey they'd ever had.

It was the JUCIEST & TENDEREST turkey I've ever eaten.

As that baking garlic released its moisture, the turkey absorbed it.

I cooked it to 190 degrees, and it was still PINK inside!

I was worried that the garlic might overpower the turkey flavor, but it didn't: it ENHANCED it!

Every bite had a definite hint of that sweet/mellow 'roasted garlic' flavor, but every bite also had TWICE as much TURKEY flavor as any turkey I've ever eaten before.

I could go on and on, but that would be pointless, because WORDS cannot describe how good that turkey was.

It may have been my most successful culinary experiment EVER.

Duer 157099  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jun-04-09 05:20 PM
Response to Original message

3. Oh god I bet it smells GREAT in your house!!!

Richard Steele  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jun-04-09 06:23 PM
Response to Reply #3

5. It smelled great in the house for the first 20 hours....

Now it smells great in the garage!

The smell went from 'enjoyable' to 'overpowering', so we had to relocate the dehydrator.

Duer 157099  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jun-04-09 06:32 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. I'll bet it's like driving down the 101 through Gilroy...

Richard Steele  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jun-05-09 01:55 AM
Response to Reply #6

10. I have absolutely -NO- idea what that means...

But I get the feeling that it's a -GOOD- thing, so I'll go ahead and agree with you.

Duer 157099  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jun-05-09 01:58 AM
Response to Reply #10

11. LOL, well...

Gilroy is the Garlic Capital of the World, and the 101 is the California highway that runs north-south through the state.

You know, I don't mean to sound as if I'm mocking--as God and everyone else knows, franksolich is hardly one of the brightest bulbs in the light-sockets--but one wonders if perhaps the steely primitive was born minus a few screws in the head, given his simple childish delight in such simple things.

Either that, or drugs burned his brain.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

Re: steely primitive gives garlic progress report
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:50:45 AM »
Oh Frank, be kind. There are people who enjoy cooking for others, and when something turns out really good, they get jazzed.  I'm like that. 

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »
Stealie Dan will be ready when the Vampires strike...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:35:28 AM »
Oh Frank, be kind. There are people who enjoy cooking for others, and when something turns out really good, they get jazzed.  I'm like that. 

Well, here's my "picture" of the situation, drawn from examples out of my own life, because franksolich at times can resemble the steely primitive.

There they are, the steely primitive and his roommates, sitting around the living room in front of the television, the room itself cluttered with papers and dirty laundry and half-eaten food from two weeks ago.

The steely primitive's roommates all work; they're out in the real world.

The steely primitive himself is a "sorter" at a thrift store, and "pays" his portion of the rent by cooking for the roommates.

So everybody but the steely primitive is sitting around, lounging around, tired and worn out from being in the real world, working, and the steely primitive presents them with this feast.

Okay, fine.  They chow down and grunt their approval; it's very good.

And then the roommates essay to discuss matters of Great Concern--whose job's on the line, money problems, how tired they are, what a jerk the boss (or a co-worker) is, &c., &c., &c.--but are constantly interrupted by the chirrupings of the steely primitive, "Hey, this is good, isn't it?"  "Hey, this is good, isn't it?"  "Hey, this is good, isn't it?"  "Hey, this is good, isn't it?"

That's what I see.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:50:30 AM »
You're probably right.  Now, if he's going to earn his rent by being everyone's wife, shouldn't he be cleaning up food from 2 weeks ago?  That place should be spic and span, and everyone's laundry, too.  All errands should be run and domestic issues solved.  All pets exercised, groomed and fed.  Rent is never "free" and his arrangement won't last long if the others don't feel they're getting a square deal.  That will be a tough lesson for him. 

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
he's tryin to dehydrate whole bulbs of garlic? that dehydrator will be runnin for a week/...
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:39:34 PM »
he's tryin to dehydrate whole bulbs of garlic? that dehydrator will be runnin for a week/...

Something like that.

One wonders how long before the stench compells the roommates to toss the steely primitive out on to the streets.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
I grow garlic and I find that, depending on the type, if you store it properly it is good for 6 months to a year without doing anything to it.  :mental:

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
Something like that.

One wonders how long before the stench compells the roommates to toss the steely primitive out on to the streets.
That has to stink...I tried to dehydrate some onions, but cut them to thick(the dehydrator ran for 2 days) the stink was so bad I had to move it to the porch....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:47:30 PM by Ree »
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
Ya ever been around a person who eats this much garlic? oooooeeeeeeeee they stink to high heaven!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »
I cooked it to 190 degrees, and it was still PINK inside!

Then it was not 190 degrees, idiot, calibrate your thermometer before you kill someone.

Now they will get food poisoning and we will have to read another "free healthcare now" thread.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »

discount grocery warehouse??

does it sell expired and damaged items or something??