Author Topic: primitives discuss apologetic "right-wing" radio celebrity; want to kill him  (Read 952 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.org/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3904391

Oh my.

bos1 (722 posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 03:17 PM
Original message

Severin expected to apologize as he returns to airwaves today

Jay Severin, the controversial right-wing talk show host, will return to his drive-time radio show today after Boston's WTKK-FM suspended him for a month following derogatory comments he made about Mexicans.

Severin is expected to apologize when he resumes his show at 3 p.m. He was suspended April 30 after he described Mexicans as "primitives" and "leeches" and called Mexico an exporter of "women with mustaches and VD," among other comments.

Neither Severin nor station officials responded to requests to comment today.

"Jay regrets the remarks for which he was suspended and understands that his comments were indeed wrong and hurtful to the Mexican and Mexican-American communities," the station's managers said over the weekend in a note posted on the WTKK website. "Accordingly, we feel it is time to end Jay's suspension and welcome him back."

Read more: http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/06/...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is something of a FAIL for progressive forces. This wingnut-welfared hate jock is coming back.

About the wingnut welfare reference, it came out that Severin, a low-level, talentless creep, is paid a million dollars per year to spew hate on this station. The same station that employs another host who was fired in the past for hate provocation.

Forces in the US are paying to ensure racial prejudice is encouraged on the airwaves, a public commodity that was once kept in check but is now up to the highest bidder. And there seems to be nothing we can do about it.

Cha  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 03:19 PM
Response to Original message

1. Oh, and he gets to come back? Jaysus..what does it take?

BOSSHOG  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 03:20 PM

2. reagan did away with the fairness doctrine and wala, instant right wing radio. limbaugh was a total failure at anything he attempted until a mediocre actor did away with the fairness quotient. That must be a great thing to have on one's resume.

HowHasItComeToThis  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 03:24 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. THIS PUTS ME IN A RAGE

no_hypocrisy  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 03:24 PM

3. If he doesn't mean it, I don't want him to apologize.

Rabrrrrrr  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 03:25 PM

5. It gets me that he (and other rightwingers) talk about "VD bringing immigrants" as a bad thing, but don't somehow seem to be asking themselves the question, "If their VD is getting all over your precious white people, doesn't that say more about YOUR values than it does anything about the so-called immigrants"?

At least, that's the question I want to ask.

I mean, they can't really be concerned that Mexicans have VD - since they hate Mexicans, they should be glad that they have disease that might kill them or make them sterile.

So, clearly, the only reason they hate the Meicans for having VD is that they (the white folk) can't keep their sexual urges from that which they say they despise.

But, given that they aren't likely having sex with them for love, it means they're screwing them as prostitutes (that goes against the Bible!) or sexing them up in order to do violence on them.

Pedro Picasso:

Atman  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 03:41 PM

6. Right wingers always just have to apologize...lefties get fired.

Name removed (0 posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 03:48 PM

7. Deleted message

Message removed by moderator. Click here to review the message board rules.

bos1 (722 posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 04:04 PM
Response to Reply #7

9. hopefully your message will get deleted by the mods.

T Wolf (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:06 PM
Response to Reply #9

10. Why? I am not encouraging violence - only expressing my opinion as to what would be effective at cleaning up the airwaves.

Not that I would ever do something like that.

spiritual_gunfighter  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:26 PM
Response to Reply #10

12. Wow you really just didn't type that

The last thing we need is liberal terrorists, please delete this disgusting post soon.

T Wolf (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:33 PM
Response to Reply #12

14. Methinks your handle is all-too-telling. You are satisfied with (maybe) fighting the reich in your mind. You even include a weapon in your dreams.

Imaginary weapons cannot hurt anyone, or have any effect (Bush exception noted).

And one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. It depends on who wins. Looks like you don't want to - win, that is.

spiritual_gunfighter  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:38 PM
Response to Reply #14

16. Calling for the murder of someone anywhere, but especially on DU is disgusting and you should know better.

Journeyman  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 04:37 PM
Response to Reply #10

15. Ah, the classic O'Reilly Defense. . .

"I only expressed an opinion. I'd never do anything like that and I certainly don't intend for others to do what I encouraged -- I only encouraged it, supported it, and made it seem like the right and proper thing to do. I never intended for anyone to actually do the crazy shit I encourage."

Are we to expect a formal mea non culpa from you as the body is bagged and tagged? Or will you take the O'Reilly Defense to its conclusion and blame the rest of us for your behavior?

T Wolf (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:43 PM
Response to Reply #15

18. If we will not fight for our freedom, we do not deserve it. Personally, I have lived through over five decades of this shit and am tired of turning the other cheek.

Ask any educator or psychologist - how do you deal with a bully (and that is what they are)? You confront them, with force. They re cowards and will back down if challenged.

But the Dems are notorious for not challenging fascist bullies of all kinds. It is trying and extremely discouraging to be a (reluctant) member of such a cowardly party.

IF there was a real challenge to the reich-wingers, there might just be a chance to destroy them. The way "our" side is responding, with vigils and other useless tactics, is doomed to failure.

It is obvious we cannot rely on the Obama administration for justice on any of these issues. Just look at the comparative charges filed against the white murderer of Dr. Tiller and the non-white suspect in the recruiter incident.

'Nuf said.

spiritual_gunfighter  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:56 PM
Response to Reply #18

19. When the answer to the problem whatever it is is violence then maybe you have been in the fight a bit too long. We should pride ourselves on the fact that we aren't like they are. We don't resort to hate speech and violence, what you posted was violent and hateful rhetoric. We are better than Free Republic, we are better than the vile rhetoric of Palin rallies and Abortion protests. When you succumb to the hate by countering it with hate then you have lost.

bos1 (722 posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 06:38 PM
Response to Reply #19

23. thanks a lot for this thoughtful and clear post.

Journeyman  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 05:02 PM
Response to Reply #18

20. You go, Bill! . . . 

Hate and murder in the service of your interests. Shuffle off responsibility because someone else did something too. If the body politic can't fulfill your needs, **** it. Power (and justice, I presume) come from the barrel of a gun.

I've no time or interest in "debating" your specious brand of hate. Hilzoy, over at Steve Benen's blog, "Political Animal," addressed it quite well just yesterday. Afterwards, perhaps you should take a timeout and collect yourself instead of foolishly clawing at that hole you're in.

Journeyman  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 04:03 PM

8. What's to apologize for? . . .

Such sustained, despicable hate is inexcusable. It shows as well an ingrained attitude that deserves no respect, and an apology -- even one freely given, and not so obviously motivated exclusively by concern for his own economic interests -- but an apology so given presupposes the listeners will forgive his behavior and grant clemency, allowing him to return to the air.

Any apology should come only from station management for having hired and permitted such a foul individual to remain on air. I cannot believe this incident is the first and only one to "tarnish" his reputation. The station should take responsibility for their mistake -- Jay Severin -- and after his dismissal, replace him with a more civilized personality.

It's past time for hate to be tolerated. We need to excise it as we find it, cauterize the wound, and find more appropriate replacements.

MannyGoldstein  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 04:20 PM

11. It Was No Different than Any Other Day

Same filth as any other day.

This is bullcrap.

AsahinaKimi  (490 posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:31 PM

13. so let me get this straight... 

A radio talk show host can make a racist remark. Get suspended a few weeks..and come back later to his job at full pay again after a formal on air apology. Are there any other job positions that have that kind of job security? I guess if Don Imus can do it, anyone can.

rurallib  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 04:40 PM

17. You can't even get a left leaning program on the radio and this nutcase gets another chance. We all know it is just a matter of time before he spews again.

bos1 (722 posts)        Tue Jun-02-09 05:17 PM
Response to Reply #17

21. that's wingnut welfare. these right wing shows are NOT market-driven they are propaganda often targeted in progressive areas. In this case Boston. But San Francisco is full of right wing radio too, for example
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Response to Reply #17

21. that's wingnut welfare. these right wing shows are NOT market-driven they are propaganda often targeted in progressive areas. In this case Boston. But San Francisco is full of right wing radio too, for example

Prove it asshole.

Offline Lord Undies

piritual_gunfighter  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:38 PM
Response to Reply #14

16. Calling for the murder of someone anywhere, but especially on DU is disgusting and you should know better.

But it happens all the time in one fashion or another so why protest now?  DemocratUnderground.com is a Hate site full of venom and rage 24 hours a day.  Why lie about it now?

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
T Wolf

Ask any educator or psychologist - how do you deal with a bully (and that is what they are)? You confront them, with force. They re cowards and will back down if challenged.

But the Dems are notorious for not challenging fascist bullies of all kinds. It is trying and extremely discouraging to be a (reluctant) member of such a cowardly party.

IF there was a real challenge to the reich-wingers, there might just be a chance to destroy them. The way "our" side is responding, with vigils and other useless tactics, is doomed to failure.

Primitive T Wolf, if you're looking for a fight, then it's not that hard to find.  Just post your real name and address and it'll come to you, promise.  Otherwise you're just shooting off your mouth about things you have no intention on following up which is the very thing you're accusing others of doing.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Prove it asshole.

He can't. As a matter of fact the other day Rush pointed out that his show and the company that runs it, is one of the VERY few that are profiable..........very profitable and absolutely market driven. He's NOT ashamed to admit it.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Prove it asshole.

we all know that err amurica was a market driven success until * outlawed it. Oh wait it was a huge failure.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline thundley4

no_hypocrisy  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 03:24 PM

3. If he doesn't mean it, I don't want him to apologize.

Yeah, I feel the same way about all the DimRat tax cheats serving in the current administration.

AsahinaKimi  (490 posts)      Tue Jun-02-09 04:31 PM

13. so let me get this straight... 

A radio talk show host can make a racist remark. Get suspended a few weeks..and come back later to his job at full pay again after a formal on air apology. Are there any other job positions that have that kind of job security? I guess if Don Imus can do it, anyone can.

Again, we have had many DimRat congress critters make racist remarks, did they  lose their seats? Were they even called on it?  How about the judge that is ready to be elevated to the USSC, and her racist comments?

Offline jukin

I've encountered a few bullies.  No, they don't back down. There is always a fight. Even if you do win you take your licks. Sometimes you don't win but the bully will respect you and not get into that shit again.  In my experience they still are a bully but they don't like the rick/reward ratio on those that stand up and dish out some punishment back.

To lurking DUchebags, that is why in the international arena one must lead with strength, have the means to back it up, and have your enemy know you are willing to take some licks.  The shit is hitting the fan because our enemies know that Obama does not have the will to back up his positions...unless you are a conservative.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
boy boy boy

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Response to Reply #17

So there's only one radio station in San Francisco? That's how many "Right Wing" radio stations there are in SF.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!

2. reagan did away with the fairness doctrine and wala, instant right wing radio. limbaugh was a total failure at anything he attempted until a mediocre actor did away with the fairness quotient. That must be a great thing to have on one's resume.
Mike Malloy and Airhead America Radio you stupid ****.
Check it out for yourself if you have the intellectual horsepower to do so.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett

Perhaps if Bosshog were a little more perceptive, he or she would learn a very important lesson from their own statement.  For most of us, it takes attempts at success and sometimes many failures in life to actually succeed.  Dummies don't even try but it's funny, they fail anyway! 

BTW DUMMIE:   "Wala" is not a word.  The correct word is voilà. 

That dummie must be one of those stupid Americans Barack Obama was talking about during his campaign.   He said, "It is embarrassing that immigrants come here and speak English but that when we travel to Europe all we can say is 'merci beaucoup!' "

Offline Happy Fun Ball

Oh, and by the way...

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
I knew Severin's return would set their panties on fire - I hear at least a part of his show daily. To those who aren't familiar with him, He is a hard right Libertarian / Constitutionalist

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Lord Undies

Oh, and by the way...

I don't even know what that means.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:37:15 PM by franksolich »

Offline thundley4

I don't even know what that means.

t's in reference to reporter Daniel Berg being beheaded by Muslim terrorists.

Offline Lord Undies

t's in reference to reporter Daniel Berg being beheaded by Muslim terrorists.

Thanks.  I couldn't get my mind away from the Little Goon actually meaning "Bork", so it wasn't making any sense, except in the capacity that it came from a Little Goon in the first place. 

:mental:

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
I knew Severin's return would set their panties on fire - I hear at least a part of his show daily. To those who aren't familiar with him, He is a hard right Libertarian / Constitutionalist

really?? Could he be described as a freedomist??