Author Topic: primitives discuss cocktails  (Read 737 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss cocktails
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:42:52 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x65502

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 12:10 AM
Original message

have we ever had a thread about cocktails?

I went to the latest hot restaurant in town the other day, which features street food a la Thailand. Little grilled skewers and bits and sauces for dunking and so on.

Someone who was with me ordered a tamarind whiskey sour. I tasted it. I can't get it out of my mind.

And I'm not even a drinker!

Do you like cocktails? If so, what?

Mind_your_head  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 02:32 AM
Response to Original message

1. Bombay Sapphire & Tonic w/lime at the end of long day is sublime.

Grandma, displaying her good taste:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sun May-31-09 08:11 AM

2. Back in the day I was once a rusty nail gal and I did a short stint with Long Island ice teas when they were all the rage. (The tequila sunrises in my youth were a mere stepping stone, a gateway if you will before moving on to straight tequila shots. But that was way back in the beginning.)

Then I moved on to just scotch on the rocks and loved to experiment with different wines and a little Frangelico with cream on the rocks or in coffee after dinner. Really never went for all the mixed stuff.

Don't drink at all now but I still miss going to the wine shops and picking up a bottle or two of previously unknown vintage and giving them a whirl.

Besides the on the rocks stuff, franksolich also liked Saint-Louis Beajolais, that bitter red wine that tastes like the blood of one's enemies.  Great wine.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 12:19 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. what's in a rusty nail?

and oh lordy -- I had forgotten about tequila sunrises. Ha!

It was when I started frequenting a piano bar and needed a drink to just nurse that I picked my drink of choice: Tanqueray & Schweppe's tonic weith extra lime. Gotta be Schweppe's.

Now I might have one drink and just a few sips of wine per year. I don't know if that's a good thing, or bad. Red wine is supposed to be a benefit to one's health.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sun May-31-09 12:35 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. It's scotch on the rocks with Kahlua. I stopped the Kahlua when I figured out it was the sugars that keep the alcohol in your system longer and worsen the hangover.

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Sun May-31-09 12:43 PM
Response to Reply #4

6. I use to love the Tequila Sunrises when I was a "kid"

I drank them and Harvey Wallbangers....I remember loving those too.

Now I wouldn't choose a sweet drink and prefer my hard liquor neat or on the rocks with a twist. I had some lovely varieties of Polish vodka this past week. I do enjoy some of the flavored vodkas. Mostly I gravitate to the Scotches now.

I do enjoy a good bottle of wine; especially reds with beef. It's hard to truly savor Indian or Thai food without a beer.

I do enjoy alcohol in limited quantities and mostly with food. That being said...I rarely drink it now...

The Rita Hayworth primitive, who's put down a few in her time:

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 01:11 PM
Response to Reply #4

7. A Rusty Nail is NOT made with Kahlua. Scotch and Kahlua? Oh, lord, just the thought of it would send the world off its axis.

A Rusty Nail is made with scotch and Drambuie and a twist of lemon peel.

This is one of those cocktails that all booze, a real hard-core drink. Rough stuff..................

The sparkling husband primitive, who omits to list what his wife puts in his drinks:

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Sun May-31-09 08:47 AM

3. I'm not much of a drinker.

When I do have a mixed drink, its pretty basic. Gin and Tonic, Bloody Mary. That's it, actually; just those two. Except when we go to a bar with the kids. They have a whole repertoire that I don't even recognize. Or when I am in Europe and drink on the continent with Brits. Brits are crazy people, you know.

I just enjoy my wine. And not a lot of that, really. A glass a day with supper, so a bottle lasts a pretty good while.

Or beer. I like dark, heavy stouts, porters, and ales. My current favorite is Old Rasputin. This picture is very typical of the head it forms and the color. This stuff requires a knife and fork. It can keep a spoon standing upright in its glass.

japple  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 06:03 PM
Response to Reply #3

12. Yeah, give me a Guinness any day. I love porters and stouts as well, and had an Old Rasputin last fall when I was in San Francisco. It was lovely.

I haven't had a "cocktail" in a long time, but I used to love bourbon and water, or bourbon on the rocks. During the hottest days of summer, my husband and I used to make up a batch of frozen dacquiries, usually peach (my favorite), sometimes banana, then drink them quick until your eyeballs freeze. Oy!

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 11:20 PM
Response to Reply #3

17. Oh my god, Old Rasputin - he'll knock me on my ass

I think I still have one bottle of it in the spare fridge. It might not be safe to open.

But it's tasty stuff. When I was younger I liked bock beer.

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 01:17 PM

8. Wine goes a long way around here, although when sitting around talking with friends, we can go through several bottles before dinner very easily - and nicely.

I enjoy a good cold beer now and then, and, of course, my favorite is the home-town Yuengling lager, but in the warm weather, I mix it with lemonade, to come up with a shandy. Half and half is my preferred ratio, although others may prefer it differently. There's no hard rule - some shady recipes call for ginger ale, but that's never appealed to me.

When I lived in South America, I grew fond of a drink called (Spanish pronunciation, please) "gin con gin. Half gin, half ginger ale. On the rocks. It was good for not-so-great gin, because the ginger ale concealed the harshness of the cheap gin. That's the time-honored way of getting rid of cheap booze - mix it with something.

Today, in fact, would be a great day for a shandy, but the corn-on-the-cob is the compelling item in mouths right now ..............

wakemeupwhenitsover   (1000+ posts)        Sun May-31-09 03:59 PM

10. Sometimes I like cocktails.

Mostly wine, but if it's really cold I like scotch & water. In the summer I like Tanguaray & tonic with two limes. I also like those lemon drops that became the rage a few years ago. My most favorite cocktail is a Perfect Manhattan, but I only drink them for the maraschino cherries.

cbayer   (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 06:49 PM

13. I like mojitos and make them whenever I get fresh mint.

Totally refreshing sundown drink.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 08:10 PM
Response to Reply #13

14. what's your recipe?

I have a gorgeous bunch of fresh peppermint from the farmer's market. Of course I have no booze in the house except a bit of gin in the freezer. I do have limes, tho.

What's up with this putting gin in the freezer?

cbayer   (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 08:12 PM
Response to Reply #14

15. I make a simple syrup, then crush the mint into a pulpy mash in it.

Then strain into some rum, lime juice and top with soda water. Add a few fresh mint leaves and there you have it.

I have never made it with peppermint, but it's a fun drink to play with. The amounts of alcohol, simple syrup, lim juice and soda water can all be adjusted until you get the taste you like.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: primitives discuss cocktails
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 03:47:25 AM »
I don't drink, these people all sound as if they have met their soul mates and it is liquor

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:18:46 AM »
I don't drink, these people all sound as if they have met their soul mates and it is liquor.

I'm still curious as to what the sparkling husband primitive's wife slips into his drinks.

I highly doubt it's a love potion.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:20:50 AM »
Coach, I've heard of putting vodka in the freezer, but never gin.  (In my youts, I used to have a bottle of Finlandia Vodka in the freezer pretty much all the time.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:48:01 AM »
I know!  They all say, "I don't drink AT ALL anymore, but"  and lists what's on the menu for breakfast lunch dinner and snack.   :lmao:   I mean it's every post!  Oh I never drink, but I love my wine, etc. 

Frank, I like your taste in wine.   Personally, an ice cold LaBatt's or 2 on a warm day after doing some yard work & gardening is heaven. 

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »
I don't drink very often these days, once I hit my 40s my stomach just wouldn't take it the way it did when I was a young rowdy.  Mainly whatever's free when the farm neighbors stop by with a cooler on board, or if I'm buying it for a special occasion, a good Pils or Dunkel import beer, perhaps with a couple of shots of Irish whiskey.  I kinda like rum drinks, too, but I'm not a wine guy and gin tastes positively nasty to me...about as nasty as Jaegermeister, which is also repulsive. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »
I don't drink very often these days, once I hit my 40s my stomach just wouldn't take it the way it did when I was a young rowdy.  Mainly whatever's free when the farm neighbors stop by with a cooler on board, or if I'm buying it for a special occasion, a good Pils or Dunkel import beer, perhaps with a couple of shots of Irish whiskey.  I kinda like rum drinks, too, but I'm not a wine guy and gin tastes positively nasty to me...about as nasty as Jaegermeister, which is also repulsive. 

Over in Germany, you find Jaeger in gas stations, next to the Pepto-Bismol.  They sell it as a digestif.
Boggles my mind that people drink that stuff for "pleasure".
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:29:15 AM »
Huh, the DUmmies, by and large, like ***** drinks. I'd have never guessed.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »
japple  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-31-09 06:03 PM
Response to Reply #3

12. Yeah, give me a Guinness any day...

:puke:
This alone - that a DUmbass is possibly tapping into the same keg of ambrosia that I might be - is enough to turn my stomach. Almost makes me want to go drink pisswater with the Brits (something no self-respecting Scotsman would do).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 01:34:10 AM »
I don't drink, these people all sound as if they have met their soul mates and it is liquor

Of course all of the DUmmies claim: And I'm not even a drinker!

:lmao:

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 01:54:16 AM »
Of course all of the DUmmies claim: And I'm not even a drinker!

:lmao:

Johny Walker Red Label is the nectar of the Gods!!!!!!!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »
Booze must kill the pot buzz.  :lmao:

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »
I haven't had a drink in 16 years but scotch on the rocks was my drink of choice.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.