Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 160819 times)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #250 on: August 24, 2012, 02:55:38 PM »
"If you hate it now, wait until you drive it."
Davenport, where is the Griswold's sports wagon ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #251 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
Chris,

I just thought you'd like to know that I just got done taking my B out for a drive around town, and everything worked.  

:tongue: :fuelfire: :whistling:

If there was only one thing I could change about this car, I'm torn choosing between these two things: 

a) changing the heater core somehow, so it isn't always pushing 900 degree air on your right foot the entire time (even with the blowr off), or

b) making a gas pedal that isn't the size of a postage stamp.  I'm told the earlier cars had an even smaller gas pedal.  My later B had one that was about the size of a baby cucumber, and it wasn't bad. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:07:21 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #252 on: August 24, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
I'd pick the heater.  My gas pedal works just fine. :rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #253 on: August 24, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »
Yeah, don't get me wrong, the gas pedal is functional, but geez, look at the size of it! 

I don't have the world's largest feet, but come on!   

I'm surprised my right foot doesn't just sigh, shrug its shoulders and detach itself from my body every time I drive the B, since it's broiled, and forced to work with inadequate equipment every drive. 

Good thing it is firmly attached, and not a member of a union. 

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »
Chris,

I just thought you'd like to know that I just got done taking my B out for a drive around town, and everything worked.  

:tongue: :fuelfire: :whistling:

If there was only one thing I could change about this car, I'm torn choosing between these two things: 

a) changing the heater core somehow, so it isn't always pushing 900 degree air on your right foot the entire time (even with the blowr off), or
b) making a gas pedal that isn't the size of a postage stamp.  I'm told the earlier cars had an even smaller gas pedal.  My later B had one that was about the size of a baby cucumber, and it wasn't bad. 

Do you have room to put a petcock in the water line to the heater?  I put one on my Cobra replica as I had a similar problem.  I didn't even put a control cable on the valve as it's pretty easy to pop the hood & switch it.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2012, 11:30:25 PM »
Yeah, there is room for a petcock- I actually put one on my first B. 

I didn't really care for how it looked under the hood, but at this point I'm willing to sacrifice looks for a cooler foot.  I love to wear flip flops, and wearing flip flops in this thing is brutal. 

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »
Chris,

So,

It starts to drizzle, and I go out to put the B back into the garage in its designated spot.  I had left it out as I was going to drive it tomorrow.
I start it up, flick the headlights on, reverse, then forward, and as I am pulling it into its spot in the garage, I notice a blob of oil on the floor.  Nice.  I park the car, grab my trusty flashlight and head out into the driveway where I had been parked, to see if the blob was an anomaly found only on the garage floor.  

Another blob, this one still warm.  Nice.  

Back to the car, looking underneath, and I see I've got a nice shiny drop of Shell Rotella just about to drip itself off the FRONT side of the rear cover plate.  I check the clutch face through the access hole, dry.  All of the oil is on the front side of the rear cover plate.  

One innernets search later:

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,1641621,page=1  

Ooraah!!  Want to come over and see how to pull a motor and trans?   :naughty:

:hammer:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:45:09 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:53 PM »
As I recall, the standard for British cars is less than a quart over night is within limits.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
Yeah, there is room for a petcock- I actually put one on my first B. 

I didn't really care for how it looked under the hood, but at this point I'm willing to sacrifice looks for a cooler foot.  I love to wear flip flops, and wearing flip flops in this thing is brutal. 
Try wearing black leather shoes.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
Chris,

That sucks.  If I ever have to pull out the engine in this car, I'm replacing it with something else. :evil:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »
I'm off to Hubcap Annie's to have one of my wheels checked out.  I think the rim is damaged because the tire on it won't hold air.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »
That sucks.  If I ever have to pull out the engine in this car, I'm replacing it with something else. :evil:

It's not bad.  The only car that I can pull the motor on faster is my 240Z, as there is slightly more workaround room under the hood.

A good hour, and I'll have it out. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2012, 07:57:10 PM »
I'm off to Hubcap Annie's to have one of my wheels checked out.  I think the rim is damaged because the tire on it won't hold air.

Damaged valve stem, fixed at no charge.  Awesome.

Really need to work on my Camry, but I picked up some silver touch-up paint and masking tape, and will try to work on my wheels at some point.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #263 on: August 27, 2012, 12:10:25 AM »

I  bet a small block Ford would fit real nice.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #264 on: August 27, 2012, 12:55:54 AM »
I  bet a small block Ford would fit real nice.
Think like a lib, if one is good, two is better, especially if it's free.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
Chris,

So,

It starts to drizzle, and I go out to put the B back into the garage in its designated spot.  I had left it out as I was going to drive it tomorrow.
I start it up, flick the headlights on, reverse, then forward, and as I am pulling it into its spot in the garage, I notice a blob of oil on the floor.  Nice.  I park the car, grab my trusty flashlight and head out into the driveway where I had been parked, to see if the blob was an anomaly found only on the garage floor.  

Another blob, this one still warm.  Nice.  

Back to the car, looking underneath, and I see I've got a nice shiny drop of Shell Rotella just about to drip itself off the FRONT side of the rear cover plate.  I check the clutch face through the access hole, dry.  All of the oil is on the front side of the rear cover plate.  

One innernets search later:

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,1641621,page=1  

Ooraah!!  Want to come over and see how to pull a motor and trans?   :naughty:

:hammer:

Glutton for punishment....much?

:rofl:

P.S. I could pull the trans in my Fiat in 15 min..........
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #266 on: August 27, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »
I cleaned and prepped one of my wheels last night to get it ready for paint.  I bought a metallic silver instead of the "aluminium" color that was suggested (I couldn't find it).

This is what I'm trying for:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #267 on: August 27, 2012, 09:55:06 PM »
Glutton for punishment....much?

:rofl:

P.S. I could pull the trans in my Fiat in 15 min..........

Niice! 

You know, if I didn't have stuff like this to occupy my time, I'm sure my spousal unit would find something even less fun or interesting for me to do.       

Offline Chris_

« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »

This taping and masking stuff is a pain in the ass.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »

This taping and masking stuff is a pain in the ass.

But it is will be worth it.  Prep always pays.  What you using for silver?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHedEshmf34[/youtube]
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2012, 07:26:26 PM »
I was looking for Krylon Aluminum but went with some DupliColor reflective silver metallic (BVW2039) since the Kyrlon wasn't available.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2012, 08:20:21 PM »
Wow, it looks pretty good.  Now to wait for it to dry.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »

One wheel finished, three more to go.

I'll have to touch up with some black Testors in a couple of places I oversprayed.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2012, 08:45:21 PM »
Very nice.  Wheel painting is a huge pain in the ass.  Don't envy you.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2012, 08:54:43 PM »
It only took about two hours, maybe a little longer.  At least I know what I'm doing now.  The next one should look better.