Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157709 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »
Yes, that's it. :rofl:

Yep, story of my life, buy a convertible and never see the sun again. :whistling:

Not really Chris.  :rotf:

I only had a few minor problems with my B.  I did keep losing the fuel pump because of a bad fuse holder.  Took for ever to find that one. Car would stall out and not restart.  Shake it and it would start.  Finally figured out the electric fuel pump was losing power intemittently.  Finally found the problem at the fuse holder after pretty much probing every six inches of wire.  I was going nuts for quite some time with that one.   

My SIL OTOH ended up doing a complete new wiring harness in hers. 

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2012, 08:36:10 AM »
Yep, story of my life, buy a convertible and never see the sun again. :whistling:

Not really Chris.  :rotf:

I only had a few minor problems with my B.  I did keep losing the fuel pump because of a bad fuse holder.  Took for ever to find that one. Car would stall out and not restart.  Shake it and it would start.  Finally figured out the electric fuel pump was losing power intemittently.  Finally found the problem at the fuse holder after pretty much probing every six inches of wire.  I was going nuts for quite some time with that one.   

My SIL OTOH ended up doing a complete new wiring harness in hers. 

As I recall, that was step 1 or 2 in the Lucas troubleshooting manual.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »
I tried shaking it.  Didn't. work.

It turned out to be a bad battery cable.  I pulled the ground strap that runs to the body and it fell apart in my hand.  $8 and 15 minutes later and I'm back on the road.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
I tried shaking it.  Didn't. work.

It turned out to be a bad battery cable.  I pulled the ground strap that runs to the body and it fell apart in my hand.  $8 and 15 minutes later and I'm back on the road.

(huffs fingersnails, rubs on shoulder) :-)

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2012, 01:33:55 AM »

(huffs fingersnails, rubs on shoulder) :-)
Instant man icure.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2012, 01:42:40 AM »
Mr. Lucas struck again.

I bumped the ignition switch wiring harness with my knee and the car stopped running.  I did eventually get it started, but my radio no longer works.

This is a joke, right?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2012, 01:47:48 AM »
Mr. Lucas struck again.

I bumped the ignition switch wiring harness with my knee and the car stopped running.  I did eventually get it started, but my radio no longer works.

This is a joke, right?
Rube Goldberg was an optimist.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2012, 01:50:38 AM »
The wiring harness is filled with butt connectors that are loose and like to slip apart easily.  I'm going to have to re-crimp all of them.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2012, 08:21:33 AM »
I need to see if my SIL still has my MG Bible.   Sometimes you just open it and read a few passages, for example: 

"Trouble shooting the electrical system"   

:rotf:

I will keep you posted on my success in retrieving it.  She recently sold hers for 'parts'. (as in sometimes the parts are worth more than the whole)

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Mr. Lucas struck again.

This is a joke, right?

Just leave it set overnight & the radio will work & it won't start. The premutations will grow.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »
Chris the best thing for you to do is to hit every one of those butt connectors and clean each and every one of them, then re-seat them.  There aren't as many as you'd think.  The biggest ball of them is under the hood above the starter, and behind the fuse box. 

I've never tried to crimp any of mine.  Any time they've been loose, it's because they weren't pushed into the other end of the connector all the way.  I always seat mine with a needle nose pliers, being careful not to smash the insulation around the wire.  I find they can be quite stubborn and tricky to seat with just finger pressure, and that is probably what the previous owner did to your car.  They should almost 'snap' a little when they are pushed in all the way.  Try it with a pliers, and you'll see what I mean.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »
MG B roadster back as SUV

Blasphemy.

It has potential- you have to admit it looks better than most of the junk cars coming out of China (assuming that is the country of origin).

Offline Chris_

« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »
I'm surprised the fender/rear deck doesn't have chrome molding over the joint.  It could use some dressing up.

I like small cars.  I can wash and wax this one in under an hour. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
Do you have swaybars from the GT installed in your car?  I know my rebound straps are shot, but the ride in this thing could use some improvement. 

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »
Not that I am aware of, unless one of the two previous owners installed them.  I've got lowering springs, lowering blocks, and 60K worth of wear on my suspension- that's it.

Honestly, my car really does feel awfully stiff with the two things I changed.  Any stiffer, and you'd feel like you're in a truck.  What on the ride are you trying to improve?  As far as your rebound straps, they will help to limit your rear suspension from bouncing all over the place. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
I guess I'll find out after I change the rebound straps, but sometimes it feels like driving a brick.  Very heavy and poor response around corners.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2012, 03:16:59 AM »
I guess I'll find out after I change the rebound straps, but sometimes it feels like driving a brick.  Very heavy and poor response around corners.
I love lurking on this thread, and replying when I can fit in with the ambiance of the topic. I would say your car would be perfect for the Wheeler Dealer treatment. Have you thought about that ?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:55 AM »
They've already done an MG B.  That's not to say they wouldn't do the same car twice... they have (Volkswagen Beetle and I think Land Rover Discovery).

Offline Chris_

« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
I need to upgrade my steering wheel.  The previous owner replaced it with a smaller "sport" steering wheel that makes the car somewhat difficult to drive.  The original wheel is a few inches larger in diameter (and it looks better).

You can actually see the guage cluster behind the wheel.  Can't do that on mine.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
That's an early wheel, if you didn't know.  The correct wheel for your car will look like mine.  I think the splines might be different on the early ones, too. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »
I know, but I really like the early one.  It's fancy.  :)

I can get one for a couple hundred dollars with shipping.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
I know, but I really like the early one.  It's fancy.  :)

I can get one for a couple hundred dollars with shipping.

I had the first one in the "A" the one BH shows in the "B".  The one you have?  Never seen one like it.  I always wanted a riveted wood one for the "B" but never pulled the trigger to get it.  ( looked like BH's but riveted wood vs black leather)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
It's an aftermarket POS.  I don't like it at all.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
Have you ever replaced your radio?  The one in mine is one of those removable-face units and it's stopped working entirely.  I think it may have gotten rained on.  I'm looking at a (waterproof) marine unit to replace it.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40560_MB-Quart-WR1-USB.html