Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 159891 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »
I only saw the right side of the dash, but everything looked okay.  I'm hoping the foam is in good shape... I would just pull it and re-cover it.

Do you have any of those little hairline cracks on the dash right where the steering column comes out?  That is the only visible defect on my dash (it does have a cap, though).  I think the previous owner pushed the dash with his knee while he was driving, stressing it on that area.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »
Not that I noticed.

I pulled the mat and carpet from the passenger side today.  It has some pretty bad surface rust and seriously cracking paint, but nothing terminal.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
Holy cow, that was fast.  My Unisyn showed up today.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
Still having problems with the ignition switch/wiring/and-or fuel pump.  I turn the key and get nothing.  If I let it sit, it may come back on.  It's done it twice before.  I replaced the ignition relay with another 5-pole 30-amp gizmo but I don't think that's my problem.  My fuel pump makes a big 'klonk' before it knocks out all my electrics.  Like I said, if I let it sit, it comes back on. 

edit: I was told to check the ground going to the fuel pump.  Will do.

I got a chance to look at the rebound straps.  They're completely gone.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:06:00 PM by chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:10 PM »

I got a chance to look at the rebound straps.  They're completely gone.

That might explain some of your more interesting handling characteristics.  :-)

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
That might explain some of your more interesting handling characteristics.  :-)

I actually saw a B today for what I think was 4495.  May have to see what's up with that.  It looked pretty good going by at 60mph. :lmao:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
They'll do 60, but I think the 110mph speedometer is extremely optimistic.  Mine seems to run out of oomph around 75mph but I haven't tried to go any faster than that.

It's definitely an around-town car and no speed demon.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
No luck so far.  I'm going to try this and if it does not work, I may need to replace the ignition switch.  At this point, nothing works when you put the key in the switch and turn it.  I found a good color diagram and had it printed and laminated, and everything I'm having an issue with runs through the ignition switch.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jVxIW_pImjw#t=204s[/youtube]
3:22
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:05:58 PM by chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2012, 04:41:17 PM »
They'll do 60, but I think the 110mph speedometer is extremely optimistic.  Mine seems to run out of oomph around 75mph but I haven't tried to go any faster than that.

It's definitely an around-town car and no speed demon.

I'll have to top mine out this evening and see what the GPS says I'm doing. 

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »
Chris, did you check your main negative battery cable connection?  What is your resistance from the terminal to the body?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
I have not done that.  Removing the battery covers is a pain in the ass.

What grade of oil do you use?  I swear my Bentley manual says to use 20w50 but that doesn't sound right.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »
I have not done that.  Removing the battery covers is a pain in the ass.

What grade of oil do you use?  I swear my Bentley manual says to use 20w50 but that doesn't sound right.

I can only figure you are familiar with this site?

http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html

Smoke Check. 

(I was doing 60n when I spotted the B).  I don't remember what you can get out of one but I have seen some modified that go real fast. :naughty:  More money = more speed.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »
I use Shell Rotella 10-30W.  It is actually for diesels, but it works great in my B. 

You are in about the same climate that I am in, so that weight should work great.  Just make sure whatever you are using for oil is compatible with a flat-tappet engine (hence my choice of Rotella).  If not, you can run any type of additive that puts ZDDP back into your engine oil.  If you don't know what I'm referring to, read this: http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/ZDDP.htm   

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
I can only figure you are familiar with this site?

Smoke Check. 

(I was doing 60n when I spotted the B).  I don't remember what you can get out of one but I have seen some modified that go real fast. :naughty:  More money = more speed.

I tried kidding around with them earlier with some Lucas jokes.  Having been a British car owner (1 MG Mig & 2 Sunbeam Tigers), I recall loosing my sense of humor also.  You recover quickly after disposing of said vehicle.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2012, 08:14:34 PM »
I tried kidding around with them earlier with some Lucas jokes.  Having been a British car owner (1 MG Mig & 2 Sunbeam Tigers), I recall loosing my sense of humor also.  You recover quickly after disposing of said vehicle.

Oh, I'm all about the Lucas jokes.  I'm just making sure Chris' car is in tiptop shape before I feel ok about laying them on him. 

We don't want to discourage him.  :naughty: :fuelfire:

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2012, 10:57:28 PM »
Oh, I'm all about the Lucas jokes.  I'm just making sure Chris' car is in tiptop shape before I feel ok about laying them on him. 

We don't want to discourage him.  :naughty: :fuelfire:

I'll hold off on telling my dashboard fire story.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
I'll hold off on telling my dashboard fire story.

Do share.  Chris can just close his eyes and skip past this part :-)

I've only had one fire, and it was more-or-less a freak accident.  One of the metal loom holders under the hood had cut through the insulation on a wire, and it was grounding through the loom holder.  That was not fun. 

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2012, 08:09:26 PM »
I love this thread, I follow every post, even though I don't post in it much. Please do continue, and carry on smartly as you have been.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2012, 09:40:21 PM »
Smoke Check.  

(I was doing 60n when I spotted the B).  I don't remember what you can get out of one but I have seen some modified that go real fast. :naughty:  More money = more speed.

Zeitgeist, I have a few mods on my B.  I have a link of a drive I did at night a few years back.  You can hear the supercharger a few times through the video if your speakers are decent.  I listed what I did to it in the description of the video.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48DGvkaH85Q[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:46:45 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2012, 10:16:43 PM »
Do share.  Chris can just close his eyes and skip past this part :-)

I've only had one fire, and it was more-or-less a freak accident.  One of the metal loom holders under the hood had cut through the insulation on a wire, and it was grounding through the loom holder.  That was not fun. 

So (bouncy start) I was cruising through Killeen TX with a friend I in my freshly painted 65 Tiger & he in his Corvette. Pull up side by side at a stop light when my Lucas ammeter decided to fuse itself into a molten lump.  It produced a mushroom cloud & I performed a undignified exit from the car. Needless to say I received a lot of heat from folks in my unit. I even got hammered 12 years later when I ran into one of the guys from the unit at a reunion.  I still regret selling that damn car.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
Zeitgeist, I have a few mods on my B.  I have a link of a drive I did at night a few years back.  You can hear the supercharger a few times through the video if your speakers are decent.  I listed what I did to it in the description of the video.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48DGvkaH85Q[/youtube]

Nice.  Some of the comments reminded me of one of the funniest things I ever saw, a fully blown mini taking on  a '68 Z/28 Camaro (the year was either 68 or 9  when this occured) on a Boulevard in Coral Gables.  They were both winding when they went by creating what sounded like a flight of angry bumble bees.

Next funniest thing?  Drags featuring a VW and a fueled Vette.   The Bug was staged about half way down the track an still lost. :rotf:

My stick shift story from the other thread ?  Driving my '55 TR2 when the slave cylinder died.  Yes, you can start it in gear, but, first gear didn't have syncro.  You had to just jump it off with the starter, and, powershifting is not for the feint of heart but can be done. 

My old B only had headers and Abarth exhaust plus fully jetted SU's without the antiback fire throttle plates .  It was still plenty peppy.

May have to look at that B I saw when I sell the 'Cuda.   :whatever:   But I an also  thinking about doing a "battery operated" VW Thing.    :naughty:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
I just noticed Chris hasn't been back to comment on this thread.  I tried to tell you guys!!  :rotf: :popcorn: :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »
My car is still parked at work and it's been raining since Wednesday.  I can't do anything until Saturday.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
My car is still parked at work and it's been raining since Wednesday.  I can't do anything until Saturday.

I was worried we might have chased you off.  It turns out you are just hogging all the rain.   :hammer:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »
I was worried we might have chased you off.  It turns out you are just hogging all the rain.   :hammer:
Yes, that's it. :rofl: