Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157678 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
Sorry, old British car jokes from my youth.  I was a sucker for them too.

Oh, no worries. I'm used to hearing them, anyways.  I can see chris' skin has went three sizes thicker since he bought his, too. 

Someday I'll have to find and scan in all the old tiny cars my grandfather and my father had through the 50's up into the 70's.   

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2012, 09:27:18 PM »
I've actually moved the driver's seat forward from the all-the-way-back position I was using originally.  There is plenty of room.  My brother is 6'3 and fits fine.

Finding room for big-assed feet might be another issue.  I wish this car had a dead pedal to the left of the clutch.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:32:27 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
I'd love to have an MGBGT, or even an A, but they are hard to find around here.  They're easy to work on as long as you don't mind getting a hunch in your back from stooping over.  :-)
I used to be able to do a lot of the work on my Datsun from my knees. 

I keep knocking the weatherstripping off the door frame with my foot exiting the car.  I want to glue it in place but it looks brand new.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »
Did you try taking it off, and seeing if it has that metal core that you can pinch a little so that it has a better hold on the car?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2012, 12:16:44 AM »
Did you try taking it off, and seeing if it has that metal core that you can pinch a little so that it has a better hold on the car?
I don't think it does, but I will take another look.

Offline redkatz919

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2012, 12:17:27 PM »
 :-)  Thanks for the advice guys. I'm checking e-bay next, I've got an itch for a new toy.
   Now how can I explain it to the wife?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »
Swapped out the thermostat.  It seems to be behaving itself now.  It still runs a little warm but cools down immediately once you start moving.

I had to pry the old thermostat out with a screwdriver.  It was in there pretty good.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2012, 07:34:47 PM »
Swapped out the thermostat.  It seems to be behaving itself now.  It still runs a little warm but cools down immediately once you start moving.

I had to pry the old thermostat out with a screwdriver.  It was in there pretty good.

:o  I hope it was the same one you use to open paint cans.

I have to go looking for pictures of my old B.  Do you still have the third  W/W wiper on that one?   I remember taking it off on mine but darn if I can remember why. :rotf:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »
:o  I hope it was the same one you use to open paint cans.

I have to go looking for pictures of my old B.  Do you still have the third  W/W wiper on that one?   I remember taking it off on mine but darn if I can remember why. :rotf:

They all had a third wiper from 1969 on.  It had something to do with amount of windshield vs. amount of windshield that was being wiped with the wipers.

I just noticed the other day that my brother's FJ Cruiser has three wipers, too. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »
Worst air filter housing design.  Ever.  I actually cut myself changing it out and now my car doesn't run right.  I know the base and housing aren't sealed properly... I'm going to have to reinstall it without that stupid rubber hose connecting them for now. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2012, 08:48:32 AM »
:-)  Thanks for the advice guys. I'm checking e-bay next, I've got an itch for a new toy.
   Now how can I explain it to the wife?
Here's something you might enjoy (I love this show).

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »
Worst air filter housing design.  Ever.  I actually cut myself changing it out and now my car doesn't run right.  I know the base and housing aren't sealed properly... I'm going to have to reinstall it without that stupid rubber hose connecting them for now. 

I've had the original cans for both of my MGs, but they came with K&N filters and housings on both of them, so I just left them on. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »
I've had the original cans for both of my MGs, but they came with K&N filters and housings on both of them, so I just left them on. 
I replaced the dirty air filters and managed to get the cans installed correctly today, but I left off the air hose that connects the two cans in the middle.

I really need a tuneup.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
The crankcase breather on my engine seems to be clogged.  I disconnected the breather hose at the Y fitting and it ran perfectly.  I reconnected the hose going to the crankcase and it goes back to running rough and stalling at lights.  Now it only wants to cut out if I stomp on the brakes and slosh the fuel around the float bowls.

Ordered a Unisyn from Victoria British.  $45 with shipping.  I should have ordered it on Monday... it would be here by now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:51:03 PM by chris_ »

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
The crankcase breather on my engine seems to be clogged.  I disconnected the breather hose at the Y fitting and it ran perfectly.  I reconnected the hose going to the crankcase and it goes back to running rough and stalling at lights.  Now it only wants to cut out if I stomp on the brakes and slosh the fuel around the float bowls.

Ordered a Unisyn from Victoria British.  $45 with shipping.  I should have ordered it on Monday... it would be here by now.

Does it have the fuel tank evaporator loss canister system?  If so make sure it is working properly.  One thing I do remember from the old days was having a problem with that an it dumping raw gas into the oil pan.  "Gee look, there is almost no oil pressure and the dipstick is way over full."   

The EPA crap all but destroyed the MGB engine in the 70's .  I had a '61 A and a '72 B  side by side one day.  You could sit a cup of coffee on the A and never see a ripple, the B,  no amount of tuning could get it to do that. 

Does it have an Air Pump and air injectors on the head?   Does it have a header and Abarth exhaust or stock?
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
The air pump has been removed/blocked off.  I think everything else is stock. 

Yes, there is an evaporator canister on the car.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »

Ordered a Unisyn from Victoria British.  $45 with shipping.  I should have ordered it on Monday... it would be here by now.

:rofl: I do the same thing, procrastinate, then grouse when I think that it could have already been here if I hadn't procrastinated.

Now it only wants to cut out if I stomp on the brakes and slosh the fuel around the float bowls.

Dollars to donuts, if you haven't pulled your fuel bowls and cleaned them, they're full of sediment that is trying to get sucked up.  

Offline Chris_

« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
I finally got my Toyota's master/slave cylinders swapped out and the clutch is working again.  I'd be driving it, but the battery died while it was sitting.  I'm waiting for it to charge, so I get a couple more days to play with the MG until it's back to the Camry for a few weeks.

Time to shop for new control arms, springs, and struts.  I'm going to upgrade everything to the SE suspension with a new set of harder Eibach springs.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:47:49 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »
The previous owner installed one of those shitty plastic dash caps and it is starting to come off.

It looks good (it's not warped), but I'm thinking of taking it off and covering it in heavy vinyl to make it look a little more presentable, or trying to fix the original soft dash pad.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
The previous owner installed one of those shitty plastic dash caps and it is starting to come off.

It looks good (it's not warped), but I'm thinking of taking it off and covering it in heavy vinyl to make it look a little more presentable, or trying to fix the original soft dash pad.

Is it a full cap, or a partial cap?  Is it pretty bad?  Do you have a picture?

Without looking at it, I would try to glue it back down if I were you.  I'd use Automotive Goop, or Liquid Nails.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
It's a full cap.  It's not too bad.  I almost didn't notice it.  If the padded dash is fixable, I can top if off with some new vinyl and it would look much better.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »
Time to shop for new control arms, springs, and struts.  I'm going to upgrade everything to the SE suspension with a new set of harder Eibach springs.

You should not have any struts on your car, unless someone screwed up your suspension (there is a kit out there to convert the rear axle to struts).

Word on the street is Apple Hydraulics is the best place to get your lever action shocks: http://www.applehydraulics.com/shocks.htm

I recycled a drop kit I had from my first MGB (rubber bumper) which basically consists of new front coils, and some lower blocks for the rear axle.  I'm not sure if they are stiffer than the originals (I assume a little bit, since they are shorter) but I can tell you I certainly wouldn't want them any stiffer.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
It's a full cap.  It's not too bad.  I almost didn't notice it.  If the padded dash is fixable, I can top if off with some new vinyl and it would look much better.

Those dashes have a metal backer.  When my brother refurbished his dash, he stripped it down to the backer, and bought a whole new dash (foam and vinyl) and glued it to the backer.  It looked sharp.  I'm not sure where he bought it, though.  I could ask him if you're interested.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
You should not have any struts on your car, unless someone screwed up your suspension (there is a kit out there to convert the rear axle to struts).

Word on the street is Apple Hydraulics is the best place to get your lever action shocks: http://www.applehydraulics.com/shocks.htm

I recycled a drop kit I had from my first MGB (rubber bumper) which basically consists of new front coils, and some lower blocks for the rear axle.  I'm not sure if they are stiffer than the originals (I assume a little bit, since they are shorter) but I can tell you I certainly wouldn't want them any stiffer.

This is for the Camry.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:22:18 PM by chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
I only saw the right side of the dash, but everything looked okay.  I'm hoping the foam is in good shape... I would just re-cover it.