Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 159761 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #650 on: May 05, 2013, 10:47:13 PM »
I think it started to unwind after I disconnected it.  Now it's all bunched up inside the sheath.  I'll have to yank it out and pick up a replacement cable from the bicycle shop down the street.

I'm considering upgrading my brake lights to LEDs.  I don't feel that the 1157 incandescent is very visible during the day, at least not with some of the brake-checks I get from the cars behind me.

I never drive my B without the lights on, and half the cars on the road still try to run me over. 

In your case, I don't see how they can miss a yellow car, regardless of size.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #651 on: May 05, 2013, 10:56:09 PM »
I love this neighborhood.  The main street intersects with another highway that turns off to a twisty side road that turns back on to the main street.  It's like a personal race track.  I had the same thing in my last neighborhood.  It's enough to get you car up to temperature and wring out any problems.

Supposed to rain Monday, but I think I can drive it for the rest of the week.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #652 on: May 06, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »
I love this neighborhood.  The main street intersects with another highway that turns off to a twisty side road that turns back on to the main street.  It's like a personal race track.  I had the same thing in my last neighborhood.  It's enough to get you car up to temperature and wring out any problems.

Supposed to rain Monday, but I think I can drive it for the rest of the week.

Chris I can tell you that the roads I take to work...are made for driving a car like yours...with the top down of course.  It was a beautiful day for it here today...70 light breeze and sunshine.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Chris_

« Reply #653 on: May 06, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
It's supposed to be sunny for the rest of the week.  I don't care if one wheel shakes like a bad shopping cart, I'm going for a drive.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #654 on: May 06, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
It's supposed to be sunny for the rest of the week.  I don't care if one wheel shakes like a bad shopping cart, I'm going for a drive.

Did you have to get a wheel alignment after the surgery?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #655 on: May 06, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
No.  I didn't change any steering components, only suspension parts.

Offline A7X_foREVer

« Reply #656 on: May 06, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
I am green with envy over your car
Voting for Obama for a second term would be like the captain of the Titanic backing into the iceberg again

Offline Chris_

« Reply #657 on: May 07, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
I picked up some red 1157 LED bulbs at the store yesterday.  It looks pretty good.

LED is on the left, incandescent is on the right.  This is what it looks like in bright sunlight... you almost can't see the other one.

Brake check

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #658 on: May 07, 2013, 08:03:11 PM »
I like your pre-epa nazi gas can.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #659 on: May 07, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »
I got a good laugh by going to the bicycle store to buy a new cable for my clutch (six bucks and some change).  They asked me what it for was for, so I told them.  The silence was golden.  It was almost as good as the kid at NAPA.  :rofl:

I yanked out the old choke cable.  It was all unwound (I guess the term is 'spalled').

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQIRaHBfps8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:17:17 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #660 on: May 08, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »
That was... interesting.  I cleaned the brake rotor with Brakleen on the left side after reassembling that suspension/wheel hub and now the car definitely pulls to that side when I press on the brakes above 50mph.  It's a little concerning but cleaning the other side should take care of it.  Other than that, everything seems to be okay.  I need to check the new nuts and bolts I used to make sure they're tight.  I thought I felt a wobble at some point earlier today.

I've found that SAE 32-threads-per-inch seems to be the closest thing to British Fine Standard.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:09:19 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #661 on: May 11, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »
Foiled again.  The steering arm bolts won't come loose. 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:51:56 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #662 on: May 11, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Got it.  Here are the rest of the steps to remove the kingpin/swivel axle assembly.

Loosen kingpin castle nut (soak it for a few days in Liquid Wrench and use a long breaker bar)
Disconnect the two steering arm bolts and move the steering arm away from the swivel axle
Jack up the spring pan to remove the tension from the spring.  Remove the lower trunion pin and bolt.  Lower the jack.

Remove the upper trunion pin and bolt
Remove the kingpin/swivel axle assembly

Offline Chris_

« Reply #663 on: May 16, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »
Still no luck getting the kingpin pressed out of the axle housing.  I called five different shops including the local MG garage and none of them would do it.  The last one I called referred me to a place on 5th Avenue, so I dropped it off there.  I'll follow up with them tomorrow.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #664 on: May 16, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »
Those jack stands you have always make me nervous when I ever use them.  I always second guess myself on if they are locked in or not. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #665 on: May 16, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
I got them at Harbor Freight.  Everything at that store is fresh off the boat from China, but I haven't had any issues with the jack stands.  I was scared to death of it at first, but I pushed and shoved another car trying to get it to fall off the jacks and they seem to work fine.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #666 on: May 16, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
Those jack stands you have always make me nervous when I ever use them.  I always second guess myself on if they are locked in or not. 

I have a pair like that but I rarely use them.  I use the set that has a pin that goes all the way through.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #667 on: May 16, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »
I have a pair like that but I rarely use them.  I use the set that has a pin that goes all the way through.

Yeah, that's what I have, too.  I can glance at them, and know they're good. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #668 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:39 PM »
The support is all the way down against the body.  It's not going anywhere.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #669 on: May 17, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
The machine shop got the old kingpin out. :yahoo:

Now I can put the other half of my suspension back together.

Wow!  They didn't even charge me for doing that.  I like that kind of service.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:43:34 PM by Chris_ »

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #670 on: May 17, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
The machine shop got the old kingpin out. :yahoo:

Now I can put the other half of my suspension back together.

Wow!  They didn't even charge me for doing that.  I like that kind of service.

Nothing like a nice hydraulic press and a proper support structure.  We had a nice one at NAPA for pressing bearing and such.  That said, without proper support things can go wrong muy fast.  Once upon a time I pressed an alignment pin into a reamed blind hole with no relief for the air to escape. I turned around and heard what sounded like a shotgun blast as the pin exited at a rather high velocity. It would not have ended well had I had still been bending over it.  I ever made that mistake again.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #671 on: May 18, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
Well, this kind of sucks.  I got everything put back together and the top of the kingpin won't line up with the top of the shock.  I wonder if I bent something.

edit: I remember what I did.  This time, I put the bottom end of the axle/kingpin in first.  Last time, I put the top end in first and was able to slide the bottom part into place.  Looks like I'll have to undo the whole thing again.

Whew!  I got it.  I had to take one of the wishbones off and reposition it.

I don't think I could do this for a living.  I hurt all over.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:21:28 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #672 on: May 19, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
Well, this kind of sucks.  I got everything put back together and the top of the kingpin won't line up with the top of the shock.  I wonder if I bent something.

edit: I remember what I did.  This time, I put the bottom end of the axle/kingpin in first.  Last time, I put the top end in first and was able to slide the bottom part into place.  Looks like I'll have to undo the whole thing again.

This is what I'm talking about when I say "learning curve."  :banghead: You can have experience doing the same sort of maintenance on something else, but there's always a little twist on the process that makes you have to start all over.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #673 on: May 19, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »
I had to remove one of the lower A-arms/wishbones and reposition it to get everything to line up.  I am done for now.

Now I just have to put in new grease fittings, lube everything, and put the brake caliper and wheel hub back on.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #674 on: May 19, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »
Success. 

Boy, this thing handles like a top.  The difference is amazing. 

One small problem, there is a faint rubbing noise coming from the corner I put back together today.  It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing but it does sound like a small piece of metal rubbing against another.  I'll have to take the wheel off to find out.  The sound stayed constant but got louder the faster I drove.