Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157808 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #625 on: April 16, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »
I'm switching from the stuff I mixed up to some Liquid Wrench.  I don't think it's working.  I don't want to resort to a cutting wheel... I'll take it to JD's before I do that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:14:00 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #626 on: April 20, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »
Success!  I finally got the castle nut off the top of the kingpin.  I had to put it back on the car and use a four-foot breaker bar to crack the damn thing.

Now how the hell do I remove the trunion? :thatsright:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #627 on: April 20, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
Success!  I finally got the castle nut off the top of the kingpin.  I had to put it back on the car and use a four-foot breaker bar to crack the damn thing.

Now how the hell do I remove the trunion? :thatsright:

Chris, I've never messed with the trunnions on mine, but I do have this in my bookmarks-  probably for the post about cutting the groove for grease:

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?2,9654

You might want to take the guy's advice in the second to last post, and just cut them out. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #628 on: April 20, 2013, 05:08:01 PM »
I got it.  I put the swivel axle in a vise and threaded the castle nut back on to the kingpin and beat it with a hammer until the kingpin slid out.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:15:47 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #629 on: April 21, 2013, 02:26:48 PM »
Nice.   :whatever:

The new fulcrum pin I got from Moss Motors, the one that holds the trunion to the lever shock, is supposed to have a hole drilled in it for a cotter pin.  The hole is only drilled out halfway.  Better check the other half of my kit and see if I can use that one.

edit:  just got off the phone with Moss.  They're shipping me a new pin tomorrow. :II:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:05:17 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #630 on: April 21, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
Nice.   :whatever:

The new fulcrum pin I got from Moss Motors, the one that holds the trunion to the lever shock, is supposed to have a hole drilled in it for a cotter pin.  The hole is only drilled out halfway.  Better check the other half of my kit and see if I can use that one.

Easy fix, just use half a cotter pin.  :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #631 on: April 21, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »
One new kingpin:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #632 on: April 23, 2013, 08:26:19 PM »
This is frustrating.  I got both ends of the new axle installed with new bushings and realized I forgot to pull the swaybar link back into place... it was blocked by the steering arm I had just reconnected.  So, after getting that mess sorted out, I remembered that I was supposed to put the coil spring back in before replacing the wishbone arms and bushings.  Today was a complete waste of time... that's what I get for not paying attention.

I just want to go for a drive. :bawl:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:28:32 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #633 on: April 26, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
Supposed to rain Saturday.  Looks like my new suspension has been delayed another week.  The good news, the replacement feels nice and tight.  I suppose this is a good thing... I dropped one of the nuts attached to a bolt on the lever shock and can't find it. 

I tried to find a suitable replacement at the hardware store and didn't have any luck.  I finally broke down and called NOS Parts who rebuilds them.  I got called out for losing it, but he did tell me replacement nuts and bolts are 3/8x24.  Ain't my fault my driveway is the same color as 40-year-old nuts and screws.  Besides, those things bounce when you drop them. :-)

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #634 on: April 27, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
Supposed to rain Saturday.  Looks like my new suspension has been delayed another week.  The good news, the replacement feels nice and tight.  I suppose this is a good thing... I dropped one of the nuts attached to a bolt on the lever shock and can't find it. 

I tried to find a suitable replacement at the hardware store and didn't have any luck.  I finally broke down and called NOS Parts who rebuilds them.  I got called out for losing it, but he did tell me replacement nuts and bolts are 3/8x24.  Ain't my fault my driveway is the same color as 40-year-old nuts and screws.  Besides, those things bounce when you drop them. :-)

Magnet fishing is my favorite sport.  I almost bought one of the ones the roofers use a few years back but I generally just use one of the extension type or tie a string on one I found years ago and drag it around.  I even went so far as to use a blue tarp on one job I did in the back yard.  

We have had beautiful weather today so I replace all three belts on the lawn tractor along with the blade.  Ended up by putting on a smoke show as soon as I engaged the blade.  Opps, the belt runs insidethe keeper.  :thatsright:  Damn belts are expensive, close to $100 for the three of them.  

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #635 on: April 28, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »
Success!

Finally got everything reassembled.  That coil spring was a pain the ass, but I got it back on.  Now I just need to torque everything correctly and put the brake caliber and hub back on.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #636 on: April 29, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »
What's a brake caliber?

or is that Brit-speak?

:fuelfire:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #637 on: April 29, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
It's the Queen's English.

She doesn't know jack about cars.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #638 on: April 29, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »
It's the Queen's English.

She doesn't know jack about cars.

Speaking of British jacks.  I had wire knock offs also had the factory jack and a brass hammer in the kit in the boot.  Ex-wife had a flat and a nice gentleman stopped to help her.  He used his bumper jack to jack the car!!!!!!  Beat on the spinner with the tire iron.  Damage was extensive & Grounds for divorce in all sixty states. :hammer:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #639 on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
:runaway:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #640 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Naval Jelly?  My rotors look pretty bad with surface rust so I picked up a jar. 

I'll take some pictures later.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #641 on: April 30, 2013, 08:54:07 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Naval Jelly?  My rotors look pretty bad with surface rust so I picked up a jar. 

Nope, but ask about navel lint and you might find some help on here.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #642 on: April 30, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »

Yes.  I use naval jelly and muratic acid for rust removal.

Are they rusted on the machined surface, or are you just going for a general rotor cleanup? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #643 on: April 30, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
It's on the machined surface.  It was like that when I pulled them off.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #644 on: April 30, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
It's on the machined surface.  It was like that when I pulled them off.

If they are rusted to the point of any pitting on the machined surface where the pads ride, I would get rid of them.  Anything else, I would lightly clean up with some sandpaper and brake cleaner. 

If you're talking about cleaning up the non-machined surfaces, you'll have to coat them with something after you clean them with anything, otherwise they'll get that 'rusty' look again really fast. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #645 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
No, there's no pitting.  I will try some brake cleaner and a scrub pad.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #646 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:54 AM »
Free candy.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #647 on: May 05, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »
 :yahoo: Success.  I only got one wheel done, but it's a big improvement.  The other wheel is still erratic and shaky but driveable.

I think I may have FUBAR'd my choke cable.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #648 on: May 05, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
:yahoo: Success.  I only got one wheel done, but it's a big improvement.  The other wheel is still erratic and shaky but driveable.

I think I may have FUBAR'd my choke cable.

Did you put a bind in the cable? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #649 on: May 05, 2013, 09:37:17 PM »
I think it started to unwind after I disconnected it.  Now it's all bunched up inside the sheath.  I'll have to yank it out and pick up a replacement cable from the bicycle shop down the street.

I'm considering upgrading my brake lights to LEDs.  I don't feel that the 1157 incandescent is very visible during the day, at least not with some of the brake-checks I get from the cars behind me.