Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 157735 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #575 on: February 24, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »
Pulled the manifold and it looks okay.  One of the seals between the intake manifold and the engine fell off as I was pulling it.  It looked pretty sad -- might as well replace both of them.

The header is full of rusty pinholes but the gasket looks intact.  I loosened the bolts holding the header on and they came off without any fuss, so that is one less thing to be bothered with.  I suppose next is to crawl under the car and check the rest of the pipe.

My float needle valves seem to be stuck or barely moving.  It doesn't move when I tap on it.  I've ordered a set of replacements.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:23:46 AM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #576 on: February 28, 2013, 09:59:17 AM »
This reminds me of a Sunbeam a girlfriend had..................... :hammer:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #577 on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
I swapped out the needle jets and seats today.  The old ones were a single piece.  Everything looks good, the floats spring up and down nicely, but I'm missing a manifold gasket since they didn't show up in the mail Friday unless I can find one at Auto Zone.  The weather is crap this weekend so I probably won't get anything else done tomorrow.

edit:  University Motors has a new video out today with different needle jets.  The one I removed from my car were Grosse jets.  I replaced them with Viton-tipped ones.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82YNx-RkGNI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:33:47 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #578 on: March 02, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
I'm missing a manifold gasket since they didn't show up in the mail Friday unless I can find one at Auto Zone. 

Keep us updated on what you don't find for your B there.   :-)  :tongue:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #579 on: March 02, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
I just checked with NAPA.  They have them at their warehouse.  Shoulda checked with them earlier this week. :mad:

I requested them through their website.  Maybe I'll get lucky Sunday morning.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #580 on: March 02, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
I hope it explains why my carbs were adjusted out as far as possible.  The fuel mixture screws were all the way in and the floats were way off.  I think they were letting just enough fuel in to allow the engine to run.

I don't get it. The HIF is dirt-simple to work on... it's not like it's a Quadrajet.  The only tool you need is a screwdriver.

I came across some claims online that said the '73 HIF did not come with adjustable tangs on the float.  This one had them.  One of my floats *looks* like it has a crack in it, but I put it in a bowl of water and it worked fine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:29:40 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #581 on: March 02, 2013, 10:02:48 PM »
I seem to recall something about a bi-metallic strip inside the bowels of those.  Do you recall seeing anything like that in there?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #582 on: March 02, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
It's there.  The mixture screw pushes in it and out which raises and lowers the air needle guide (I think).  The bi-metallic strip is only there for temperature compensation.  I think because the mixture screw was all the way in against the strip was keeping it from flexing in cold temperatures.  It hinges on a spring and screw that holds it in to the carb body.

I probably should have taken pictures today.  It's an interesting piece of kit.  I may re-do it tomorrow to snap some photos.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:18:56 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #583 on: March 04, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »
I took apart my HIF so I could get some pictures.

Unmolested.

Suction chamber, damper rod and cap, and spring removed.

Upside down.  Air piston with needle and bottom cover plate removed.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #584 on: March 04, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »

Jet adjusting lever, screw, and spring.

Jet removed.

One shiny, new float needle jet and seat installed.

There's some other stuff down there, but I didn't get that far. :panic:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #585 on: March 06, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »
My gaskets finally showed up today.

As long as it took them, I could have made my own.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:51:38 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #586 on: March 09, 2013, 06:58:39 PM »
Installed the carburetors, hooked everything back up, turned the key... nothing.  I missed a step when I put everything back together :censored:

I read section 2.3 over and over again and every time, my brain said 'huh?' so I just ignored it.  After taking them off a second time, I finally looked inside the throat and saw the bridge it was referring to.

I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #587 on: March 10, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
There's a hole in the intake manifold.  Can you believe that shit?  I though that was just there to hold the choke cable.

I put the bolt back in the hole and the car runs fine.  I'll have to mess with it to get it tuned.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #588 on: March 10, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
There's a hole in the intake manifold.  Can you believe that shit?  I though that was just there to hold the choke cable.

I put the bolt back in the hole and the car runs fine.  I'll have to mess with it to get it tuned.

Um? A hole?  That takes a bolt?   In the intake manifold?  That does sound a bit strange.  But then, oh those Brits, the do like to keep ya guessing.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

« Reply #589 on: March 10, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
Yeah, the choke cable bracket is mounted to the intake manifold by a bolt.  The bolt hole isn't closed off... it's part of the intake port.  Without the bolt in place, the car won't start.  At least that's what I'm blaming it on. 

My next step is to replace the exhaust manifold and reconnect the choke and throttle cables.  Also, my heat shield is cracked (!) and the oil separator cover gasket is missing after I messed with it last week.  It's leaking oil all over my driveway without it.  I replaced my distributor cap and rotor as well.  The rotor I received from Mallory wouldn't fit without filing off some extra plastic, so I swapped the metal contact from the new rotor over to the old one.  Seems to work fine.

Both of my tail light covers are cracked too.  Looks like I'll be spending some money this week.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:53:08 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #590 on: March 11, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
Spending monay, woo woo.

I ordered replacement tail lights (matching ones) and a new gasket for less than $50.  The Pace header with the ceramic coating was $300 and another $30 for shipping.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/features/mg/MGEX2.htm

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #591 on: March 11, 2013, 05:05:26 PM »
Spending monay, woo woo.

I ordered replacement tail lights (matching ones) and a new gasket for less than $50.  The Pace header with the ceramic coating was $300 and another $30 for shipping.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/features/mg/MGEX2.htm

I had a header on my '72 with an Abarth exhaust.  Had to sell the car when I moved to the country.  Frost heaves are just like speed bumps. :o

Offline Chris_

« Reply #592 on: March 11, 2013, 07:16:39 PM »
Crap.  Dey is out of stock on the ceramic-coated header. 

I had them switch my order with the basic steel header.  It should be here by Friday.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #593 on: March 12, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »

:rofl:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #594 on: March 13, 2013, 08:19:49 AM »

:rofl:

Some days are like that, yeah, they are.  :hi5:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #595 on: March 14, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »
Tail lights and new backup light covers arrived.  The replacement backup light covers are clear and have some plastichrome trim around the edges (the old ones are opaque white).

Pictures later.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #596 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
Interesting.  I see a couple of MGB's in the shipyard.

[youtube=640,480]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ6wgLqwDYY[/youtube]

Offline Chris_

« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2013, 02:22:58 PM »
Got both rear light covers swapped out and removed the intake manifold.  I'm still not feeling so hot today, so I think that's all I'm going to do right now.

I was concerned about the difference in flange thickness between the new header and the factory intake manifold... it's about 1/16th of an inch, but I think that is why the rubber shims are there.  I'll be taking the cutting wheel to the old exhaust tomorrow after a few more doses of Nyquil later today.

edit:  Well, that didn't end well.  I got the old manifold off and thought I had the rest of the exhaust secured.  Nope.  Now I have to spend money on new hangers.  Also, the oil separator cover gasket I ordered was the wrong kind (I ordered the rubber one.  It's a different size and shape than the original cork gasket).

Still don't feel well, so I'm going to put this off until next weekend.

$50 bucks for new exhaust hangers and a cork gasket. :censored:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:37:54 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #598 on: March 19, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDCGygigzcU[/youtube]

Just had to.

:tongue:

*this from a FORMER Fiat owner*    :rofl:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #599 on: March 21, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
You very bad man, very very bad.  :shame:

[youtube=640,480]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ1HqxmnXEo&feature=player_detailpage#t=1945s[/youtube]

Check out the size of that steering wheel.