Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 160065 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #525 on: February 12, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
Yes, that's about the size of it.  I don't really know how to describe it.  It's a pair of cones with a mesh screen in the middle as a filter.  There's no paper element at all.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #526 on: February 12, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »
Yes, that's about the size of it.  I don't really know how to describe it.  It's a pair of cones with a mesh screen in the middle as a filter.  There's no paper element at all.

I've seen ones that have a cylindrical mesh screen in them, but nothing like what you're talking about.  Where did you get it?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #527 on: February 12, 2013, 05:47:02 PM »
I got it at Advance Auto.  It's so cheap, they don't even have it listed on their website.  This is the one I replaced it with.  Now my fuel pump makes that satisfying "glug glug" noise when I turn the key.  Seems to be running fine now that there's fuel in the filter.

The other one barely filled up.  I think it just passed through that mesh and got aerated in the process.  It also leaked.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #528 on: February 12, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »
Yeah, that's basically the shape (so possibly the size) of the one I have.  If your fuel filter was anywhere near where mine is, that is a BAD spot to have any kind of fuel leak.  I just got rid of a classy looking glass one (I may have mentioned it back a few pages or so), because it was leaking right on the header. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #529 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
I lost one of my damper caps.  The damn thing must have come off when I stomped on the gas. :bs:

That's the only reason I checked the oil in the damper... I'm pretty sure it was empty before that.  I ordered a replacement and had it shipped overnight.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #530 on: February 12, 2013, 07:36:15 PM »
It will run OK without the damper, just not great, in my experience. 

On the ones on my 240Z when it was really, really cold sometimes, I'd unscrew them altogether, and just let them rise and fall with the piston until the oil warmed up a bit.  No worries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #531 on: February 12, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »
I'm more concerned about losing oil without the cap.  It was loose to begin with, not even finger-tight.  Maybe the cap was broken.  We'll see tomorrow if it's any better.  Near-freezing again tonight.  I always have a hard time with cold starts but that was with the old, crappy filter.  The gas coming through the other filter was kind of whitish in color.  Looks fine now.

I came across a few writeups that said low damper oil will cause a lean condition.  Like I said, I hope it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:41:10 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #532 on: February 12, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
Correct, a low oil level in the damper will cause a lean condition on acceleration/goosing the throttle.  The piston is able to rise too fast, causing more air than fuel to be drawn into the intake.  Your air/fuel ratio should smooth out once you are going down the road at a stable cruising speed.  Anymore than a cruising speed, and you may cause the pistons to sort of vibrate up and down quickly, which will give a messed up air/fuel ratio, too. 

Oh, and I've never had the oil in the piston damper go anywhere without the cap on.  It just sort of sits there.   

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #533 on: February 12, 2013, 08:02:11 PM »
Oh, I forgot to add, not having that damper in at all will probably make the car drive like you have no oil in the damper(s) at all.  So take it really easy on your takeoffs, and you should be fine.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #534 on: February 12, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
I ordered a replacement.  Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

It wasn't too bad... less than $20 before shipping.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #535 on: February 12, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »
The lean condition was at idle and above based on John Twist's instructions for tuning the HIF with a Unisyn.  Front carb is fine, rear carb not so much.  If this fixes it, I'll be really happy... I won't have to pull the carbs and buy new floats.  The "adjustable" floats went out the door in 1969 and they went to using spacers or shims.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #536 on: February 12, 2013, 08:12:50 PM »
Have you had your HIF bowls off yet?  I'm curious if there is any debris in them. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #537 on: February 12, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »
Not yet.  I may do it this weekend if it's not too cold.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #538 on: February 12, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »
I'm trying to remember if those use a cork or a rubber seal to seat onto the base of the SU body.  With your luck, maybe you should wait until the Camry is back.   :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #539 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
Thanks for mentioning it. :hammer:

I was able to buy a thermostat gasket for the MG at Auto Zone.  It was the same generic gasket Nissan was using for the ZX/Maxima.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #540 on: February 12, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
V6 or L6 variety?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #541 on: February 12, 2013, 08:35:22 PM »
Early Maxima... L6.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #542 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:52 AM »
This morning's drive was a huge improvement over previous ones.  It idles fine when it's cold, but I have to run the choke once I start moving or it starves for fuel.  It's not nearly as bad as it was before... I had the choke pulled all the way out yesterday and it barely ran above idle.  This morning, I only had to pull the choke out about half an inch.

I will definitely check the float bowls for gunk.  I hope that takes care of this.  My damper cap should be here tomorrow.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #543 on: February 13, 2013, 04:36:12 PM »
This morning's drive was a huge improvement over previous ones.  It idles fine when it's cold, but I have to run the choke once I start moving or it starves for fuel.  It's not nearly as bad as it was before... I had the choke pulled all the way out yesterday and it barely ran above idle.  This morning, I only had to pull the choke out about half an inch.

I will definitely check the float bowls for gunk.  I hope that takes care of this.  My damper cap should be here tomorrow.

I drove my Volvo to work today, and nothing happened. :yawn:

:fuelfire: :tongue:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #544 on: February 13, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
I'm sorry your commute was boring.  You should try disconnecting a couple of random wires and see what happens.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #545 on: February 13, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
I'm sorry your commute was boring.  You should try disconnecting a couple of random wires and see what happens.

:rotf: 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #546 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »
A thousand dollars later, I got my Camry back.  They said something in the transmission "exploded".  Not sure what it was... it wasn't anything I did.

Had to leave the MG parked in front of the dumpster at the garage because there wasn't any other parking available.  Hope it doesn't get towed until I can get to it tomorrow.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #547 on: February 13, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
A thousand dollars later, I got my Camry back.  They said something in the transmission "exploded".  Not sure what it was... it wasn't anything I did.

Had to leave the MG parked in front of the dumpster at the garage because there wasn't any other parking available.  Hope it doesn't get towed until I can get to it tomorrow.

One thing I dislike is automatic transmissions.  They're darn near impossible for the DIY'er to repair if something happens, without having a 200-page manual on hand to service them.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #548 on: February 13, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »
I've dealt with a manual... couldn't get the ******* thing to stop leaking.  **** it.

They don't troubleshoot these things.  They yank them out and replace it with a spare.  No other work involved.  I didn't look at the invoice, but I think they charged me for four hours of labor.  Not a great deal in the scheme of things.  They're pretty much made to unbolt and swap out as it is (not that I've done one).

I guess the only difference is if you buy new, rebuilt, or salvage.  It doesn't drive any different.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #549 on: February 14, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
So my new damper arrived, and it won't fit.  It's the same size and shape as the other one but it won't go in to the air piston.

edit: found it.  The botom end of the old damper broke off in the carb. :thatsright:

New one is on the right.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:30:41 PM by Chris_ »