Author Topic: 1973 MG B  (Read 159693 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Re: 1973 MG B
« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
I might be able to get my euph in the back seat, but certainly not the bass trombone.

Don't even talk to me about the tuba.  :lmao:

I use to be able to get me and the trombone into the back kick of a Fiat Spider.  It was tight but beat walking.  Luckily the girl who's mom drove us played the flute. :lol:  I actually bought a Spider for my first car (stupid mistake) and we managed to get six in it.  When asked what we would do if the cops stopped us my flute player said "Tell 'em we got no more room."   :lol:

They are only slightly smaller than a B or about as much room as a fifty five gallon drum. :rotf:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:19:47 PM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #426 on: December 12, 2012, 12:52:16 PM »
The cold weather caused my fuel filter to start leaking around the seams.  I was able to get a matching replacement filter at the store for less than $3.  I was wondering where that particular puddle was coming from. :???:

Now I just need a coolant overflow tank.  As it is, it just spits the extra coolant out onto the ground.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #427 on: December 12, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
The cold weather caused my fuel filter to start leaking around the seams.  I was able to get a matching replacement filter at the store for less than $3.  I was wondering where that particular puddle was coming from. :???:

Now I just need a coolant overflow tank.  As it is, it just spits the extra coolant out onto the ground.

I found a good aftermarket for the '68 'Cuda at one of the Pep Boys or VIP places.  You may have to try a couple different ones.  I had thought about getting a billet type until I saw the prices (which disabused me of that idea). 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #428 on: December 12, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
It's barely a filter... it's a two-piece body with a mesh screen between the two halves.

I need to update it to something like this.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #429 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
It's barely a filter... it's a two-piece body with a mesh screen between the two halves.

I need to update it to something like this.

That is exactly like what I use on the 'Cuda.   Some rubber fuel line and a couple mini clamps and you are in business.  I like it because the tank has never been changed in the 'Cuda and I can see when I need to change the filter.  Cheap insurance from carb problems. 

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #430 on: December 14, 2012, 12:20:12 AM »
I might be able to get my euph in the back seat, but certainly not the bass trombone.

Don't even talk to me about the tuba.  :lmao:

What back seat?  :-)

Was it one of those newer glass-and-metal jobs?  Every one I've ever used has ended up leaking at one of the seams.  I don't care for the way the cheapy plastic filters look, mostly because of the prominent position the fuel filter has under the hood of a B, but at least they don't leak.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #431 on: December 14, 2012, 12:36:07 AM »
It was the cheapest filter they sold... it looked more like a pair of plastic cones stuck together, but that was what was on there already.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:38:38 AM by Chris_ »

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #432 on: December 14, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »
What back seat?  :-)

I rest my case/gig bag!   :lmao:   (Can't you even get an umbrella or a six-pack of coke in the back?)

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #433 on: December 14, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
I rest my case/gig bag!   :lmao:   (Can't you even get an umbrella or a six-pack of coke in the back?)

I can fit my hat back there. :whistling:

You might fit an overnight or small golf bag in there.  Getting it back out is where the problem lies.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #434 on: December 15, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »
We took five people to go get pizza in my B one time.  So, I will say that the capacity is five people. 

We did have to put the pizza in the trunk on the way home, though.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:22 AM »
Finally put the car up for the winter.  74 days until spring....

I ordered a bunch of parts from Victoria British and will be refreshing the suspension, rebuilding one of the carburetors, and repairing the exhaust system since I blew out the collector pipe gasket during my trip to Texas.  Probably put new foam in the seats as well and finish recovering the dashboard (epoxy and dye) and prepping the car for a new paint job around April.

That reminds me -- I really need to call JD about fixing the crack on my door.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:49:52 AM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #436 on: January 04, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »
You put your B up for the winter?  Sometimes, that's my favorite time to drive mine, when there is about 3" of snow on the road.  Fun! 

Did all your lever shocks check out OK? 

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #437 on: January 04, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
My brother had a MGB and I had a TR-3. Don't think our ex's liked those cars. Oh well, their loss. I have a BMW 335i coupe on order.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #438 on: January 04, 2013, 09:25:48 PM »
Congrats :II:

I have to put the car up for a couple months.  One of the carbs is running very lean and with the cold air, I just don't want to run the engine like that.  It runs fine when it's warm (about 50º) but any colder and it just doesn't run right.  Also, I think the fuel pump likes to freeze up at night.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #439 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »
Congrats :II:

I have to put the car up for a couple months.  One of the carbs is running very lean and with the cold air, I just don't want to run the engine like that.  It runs fine when it's warm (about 50º) but any colder and it just doesn't run right.  Also, I think the fuel pump likes to freeze up at night.

Do you have the SU style fuel pump, or is it solid state? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #440 on: January 04, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »
I believe it is still the SU pump.  I've had to idle/drive the car for at least five minutes at full choke just to get enough fuel to the engine.  Otherwise, it sputters and runs lean.  I think the coldest I've had it out was around mid- to low-20°. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:51:39 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #441 on: January 19, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »
I had a 72 MGBGT 15 years ago... always prefered thge droptop!

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2013, 08:40:38 AM »
I believe it is still the SU pump.  I've had to idle/drive the car for at least five minutes at full choke just to get enough fuel to the engine.  Otherwise, it sputters and runs lean.  I think the coldest I've had it out was around mid- to low-20°. 

Yeah, that's not right.  Even when I had the duals on mine, I would begin to push the choke in after only a few seconds of running (not all the way of course, but you know what I mean).

Offline Chris_

« Reply #443 on: January 20, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
I may just have a float out of adjustment.  I'll pull off the rear carb and check.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
I got a quote from JD to repair the crack on my driver door... $350.  He quoted me another $75 to replace the exhaust gasket that is damaged. 

I called around to get some estimates on a repaint.  The lowest one was $3,500 and most came in around $5,000.  I think I may just leave it as is for now.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »
I got a quote from JD to repair the crack on my driver door... $350.  He quoted me another $75 to replace the exhaust gasket that is damaged. 

I called around to get some estimates on a repaint.  The lowest one was $3,500 and most came in around $5,000.  I think I may just leave it as is for now.

It looks fine.  Who needs new paint?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
The clearcoat on the hood is peeling, there are huge stone chips and scratches on the front of the car, the trunk lid is an entirely different shade of yellow, and there is peeling and rust spots on the interior.

It looks fine from five feet away, but I figured I'd just have the whole thing resprayed.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2013, 02:06:30 PM »
I had these guys paint my truck at the el-cheapo ($200 total of $1100.00 after body work) level. It's been over 5 years and it still looks good.

http://www.maaco.ca/Paint.htm
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2013, 02:40:25 PM »
After the estimates I got, I'm considering it.  I dont mind paying $1500-2000 for a paint job, but twice that is just ridiculous.  I only paid $5,000 for the whole car.

Here's the crack on the door:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #449 on: January 29, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
That is an ugly crack you got there Chris, ugly.  Have you had the panel off and looked inside the door?   They are pretty simple to take off IIRC.  Might be worth a look.