Author Topic: Atman gets a new perspective  (Read 751 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Atman gets a new perspective
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021227410

Oh my.

I'm not in the mood to deal with the primitives today, but I did run across this:

Atman (24,512 posts)

New perspective, re: all these "young" guys in the GOP...

Seriously...I was reading about all the "young" people trying to lead the GOP today.

Then, I recalled the posts here on DU about the "young" people who were only ten years younger than me (and I'm fifty-****ing-three!) who claimed they NEVER expected Medicare or SS to be there for them, so what's the big deal? Seriously...these aren't "young people." These are our peers. Most of my friends are "young people" by these standards.

But by GOP standards, they're going to run the nation. And they never expected SS or Medicare to be there for them when the retired...hell, they hear no one will ever be able to retire. BUT...and this is a HUGE but...Grandma needs it. And if I cut off grandma, I'm out of the will. So, we'll leave the program in place for Grandma, so I'm not on the shit list, but for everyone else, **** 'EM. I'll be one of the banksters or insurance scammers who will make a billion dollars off of this!

Seriously. YOU AND I won't be a DC insider who gets to pick the winning health care stocks or hedge funds. So it's easy to say "Yeah, I'll give my granny all her benefits, because otherwise she might hate me next time I see her." So, knowing you're already stinking wealthy, and will always be able to afford health care insurance, you just say **** YOU to everyone your age who isn't rich. You're all set.

It's hard to tell, even as I type this, whether or not I'm joking. I started out thinking this was kind of an Onion-y piece. Then I re-read it. Could be totally ****ing true.

WCGreen (42,588 posts)

1. Well, I'm on disability so I am already on the SSI....

And I'm only 54. I wonder when that 55 and up starts.

^^the green commode primitive.

monmouth (20,380 posts)

2. My sons are 49 and 51, Neither of them expects to have SS and they're worried...

Atman (24,512 posts)

3. Yes, but they're close...these "young guns" in Congress are not...

They don't give a f*ck about us. They figure they got ripped off anyway. They're still in the "I won't get really sick" stage of life. So, to them, getting a check and being told to go find some insurance isn't a big deal.

Angry Dragon (18,453 posts)

4. They get to take their health insurance where ever they go that is why they do not care and they have lobby jobs lined up

Atman (24,512 posts)

5. BINGO

Sad.

For some reason, over the past several days, one's gotten the impression Pedro Picasso's wife is leaving him, or has already ready left him.  I'm not sure why I have this feeling, though; perhaps something subliminal in Atman's postings.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Atman gets a new perspective
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
Most of my friends are "young people" by these standards.
DUmmy Atman Rob McGrath is asking us to believe he has friends!

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »
But....doesn't....Ryan's plan call for us to have the same kind of SS and Medical insurance plans that Congress has?

What's the difference between their plan, and an IRA or a 401(K)?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »
"My God! It's full of stupid!"
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »
But....doesn't....Ryan's plan call for us to have the same kind of SS and Medical insurance plans that Congress has?

What's the difference between their plan, and an IRA or a 401(K)?

There are a few differences, but they are minor. As a gub-mint employee, I have the much over-hyped GEHA health plan. It really isn't as spectacular as you would think.

-a little better than 300 a month for the family plan, which includes a basic vision package.
-a $700 yearly family deductible before the ins kicks in.
-typical $5, $10, $25 meds.
-a fairly low deductible for hospital visits.

What congress has, that I don't.

-for about 500 extra a year the elected congress critter can have The Office of the Attending Physician as their primary care. This only applies to the congress critter, not their families.

-deductibles are waived if the congress critter or their family uses a government owned DC hospital facility.

-all waiting periods for benefits to take affect are waived.

There is one other benefit - though minor. I have the choice of about a dozen other smaller insurance programs, through other companies, state specific, union specific, etc etc. - I call this a minor benefit because most of these programs are either overpriced, or cover relatively little. But they are available.

In a way, its a negative. Once a year at open season, I get a phonebook-sized publication with tons of information I neither want nor need to weed through.

Thrift Savings Plan Vs 401(k)

Its pretty much the same, I get a maximum of 5% of my paycheck matched if I contribute 5% or more -so, for every 5% I sock away, Ill get 10% in the end. The only real difference, is gubmint employees get 1% if they choose to contribute or not.

Of course, I maxed mine out. Stupid not to.

Although not mentioned, I also maxed out my FEGLI (life insurance) options so that it covers me, the missus and the kids. This is actually pretty cheap, something like $13 a week, though that figure may be wrong. Regardless, its affordable, and stupid not to take advantage of.

Dental insurance is terrible - So bad that we use the missus, as its miles better in terms of cost and coverage.

So to recap -

Affordable health insurance. Not free by any stretch. includes basic eye care. Lots of smaller plans from other providers.
Program similar to a 401(k) only benefit is 1% paid in by government regardless of participation.
Cheap life insurance.
Terrible dental.

Congress critters can pay about 500 extra a year to make The Office Of The Attending Physician their primary care
Congress critters can get copays waived at federal hospitals in DC ONLY.
No waiting period for benefits for congress critters.

Notice how nothing in it is "free" or insanely cheap like 5 bucks a month. That is a myth, and that myth is frequently used by Democrats to create class envy, even though they all know better.(I suspect the no copay at Government DC facilities is the primary culprit for that myth, but remember, the congress critter still pays every month)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
Quote from:
Atman

Then, I recalled the posts here on DU about the "young" people who were only ten years younger than me (I'm 53) who claimed they NEVER expected Medicare or SS to be there for them.

I'm 50 and I grew up not expecting that Medicare and SS would be there for me.  If it were I would consider it to be a bonus, but I prepared myself in the event that it would not.  If Pedro is as we have observed, that is dumber than a bag of hammers, then he did not prepare for the potential of that being the case, which for some that's 53, was extremely stupid not to do.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »
There are a few differences, but they are minor. As a gub-mint employee, I have the much over-hyped GEHA health plan. It really isn't as spectacular as you would think.

-a little better than 300 a month for the family plan, which includes a basic vision package.
-a $700 yearly family deductible before the ins kicks in.
-typical $5, $10, $25 meds.
-a fairly low deductible for hospital visits.

What congress has, that I don't.

-for about 500 extra a year the elected congress critter can have The Office of the Attending Physician as their primary care. This only applies to the congress critter, not their families.

-deductibles are waived if the congress critter or their family uses a government owned DC hospital facility.

-all waiting periods for benefits to take affect are waived.

There is one other benefit - though minor. I have the choice of about a dozen other smaller insurance programs, through other companies, state specific, union specific, etc etc. - I call this a minor benefit because most of these programs are either overpriced, or cover relatively little. But they are available.

In a way, its a negative. Once a year at open season, I get a phonebook-sized publication with tons of information I neither want nor need to weed through.

Thrift Savings Plan Vs 401(k)

Its pretty much the same, I get a maximum of 5% of my paycheck matched if I contribute 5% or more -so, for every 5% I sock away, Ill get 10% in the end. The only real difference, is gubmint employees get 1% if they choose to contribute or not.

Of course, I maxed mine out. Stupid not to.

Although not mentioned, I also maxed out my FEGLI (life insurance) options so that it covers me, the missus and the kids. This is actually pretty cheap, something like $13 a week, though that figure may be wrong. Regardless, its affordable, and stupid not to take advantage of.

Dental insurance is terrible - So bad that we use the missus, as its miles better in terms of cost and coverage.

So to recap -

Affordable health insurance. Not free by any stretch. includes basic eye care. Lots of smaller plans from other providers.
Program similar to a 401(k) only benefit is 1% paid in by government regardless of participation.
Cheap life insurance.
Terrible dental.

Congress critters can pay about 500 extra a year to make The Office Of The Attending Physician their primary care
Congress critters can get copays waived at federal hospitals in DC ONLY.
No waiting period for benefits for congress critters.

Notice how nothing in it is "free" or insanely cheap like 5 bucks a month. That is a myth, and that myth is frequently used by Democrats to create class envy, even though they all know better.(I suspect the no copay at Government DC facilities is the primary culprit for that myth, but remember, the congress critter still pays every month)

Your plan is better and cheaper than Tricare For Life that is offered to military retirees, especially if O gets his way and raises the fees. First raise is expected to be something like 50%, gotta pay for Ocare somehow.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 04:28:29 AM »

^^the green commode primitive.

How about

"merde verde"

?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 04:42:48 AM »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:45:55 AM »
Your plan is better and cheaper than Tricare For Life that is offered to military retirees, especially if O gets his way and raises the fees. First raise is expected to be something like 50%, gotta pay for Ocare somehow.

All Ill be entitled to is FERS, which is why I am packing it with cash now, (5% from me, 5% from the govt) and directing it into higher risk investment. Hopefully it all pans out.

As for Tricare, and lord & savior 'O's plan to make You pay for Obamacare, it isn't surprising at all. Obama seems to greatly dislike all of the armed services and what they stand for.