Author Topic: .... what? ...  (Read 1831 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
.... what? ...
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »
 :o

anneboleyn (3,585 posts) http://www.democraticunderground.com/10028579601

Trump walks w/Ivanka as FLOTUS to make "unannounced" visit to Seal. Melania not FLOTUS

Last edited Wed Feb 1, 2017, 05:15 PM - Edit history (1)

So Melania is not moving to the White House (which doesn't surprise me at all). In fact she has disappeared again. I can only imagine the insanity that would have happened if Michelle Obama had refused to move to the White House, and she had TWO young children. The republicans would never have said "hands off" if Michelle had made that decision. No way in hell!

So Ivanka is clearly now "FLOTUS." Just now Trump walked out to pay an "unannounced visit" to the family of the Navy Seal who died in the attack Trump just ordered on a target in Yemen. Ordinarily, of course, the FLOTUS would be at the president's side. Instead it is Ivanka, walking so close to Trump one couldn't see any light between them, and I am sorry but it looks extremely weird -- a father, whose wife is perfectly healthy and capable, having his adult, married with children daughter serve in the FLOTUS spot. It LOOKS very strange, and yes optics matter, and I don't care which historical figures the repubs invoke (Kennedy had his brother around!) -- it looks very peculiar.

I also commented in another thread that we don't need to treat Melania like some special snowflake. She isn't helpless. Michelle Obama, not to mention Hillary, were criticized for every step they took as First Ladies. Melania nodded at everything Trump did and said on the trail, constantly voiced her support for him, participated in his birther attacks, and she dismissed/rationalized his infamous "grab 'em by the *****" statements in a major television interview.

She is a grown-ass woman (as my students would say), and she has enormous resources at her disposal w/without Trump. As the wife of the president, she is one of the most powerful women in the world. I am sorry but her decision against moving to the White House, and obvious total disinterest in doing any of the FLOTUS charity work or supporting any interests (as all First Ladies have done for decades), sets back all of the work First Ladies like Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton and Eleanor Roosevelt and Jackie and Laura Bush (yes even Laura) and so on have done over the years, in the modern age. I remember Trump promising (and Melania repeating) that she would have all sorts of causes, especially women's health care. So much for that!

Ivanka is our FLOTUS. It looks very strange, and seeing the two march together in unison, side-by-side, "joined at the hip" was very odd indeed.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5892492e/turbine/ct-trump-makes-unannounced-trip-to-honor-falle-001/650/650x366

::)

Star Member underpants (122,097 posts)
1. Where was this "unannounced" visit?

AT the White House?

can't take five minutes to look shit up...

Star Member woodsprite (7,547 posts)
15. If I had been the wife he was "paying respects to", I would have spit on him. n/t

::)

doc03 (18,430 posts)
8. What about the Seal that was killed carrying out Trumps order

what happened there? Never saw anything about it other than it was a total cluster f--- here on DU.

doc03 (18,430 posts)
16. I haven't seen any details at all and a Seal was killed, the Republicans would

blaming Obama for his death already. Maybe they will yet.

:thatsright:

They went on a raid to kill the enemy. We lost men. That's what a war is like.

brush (10,968 posts)
38. He was trying to out do Obama's getting Bin Lade but the raid failed.

The media didn't cover it well.

I thought they were finding balls briefly there but apparently they're still cowed by trump and president Bannon.

They killed 14 terrorists and recovered huge amounts of intel. Yeah... socom shit doesn't get reported well because it is a secret. Barry reported it to make himself look better.

Star Member Baitball Blogger (25,039 posts)
20. Republilcans are such huge souless hypocrites to tolerate this incredible

separation from the conventions they demand from others.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline nomad54

• Just Off Probation
Re: .... what? ...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »
After the last eight years, I would actually be fine if Mrs. Trump did not "support any interests" first ladies normally do. 
This is an uncommon view now days, but I believe a mother's first and most important job is to be a  mother. 
Besides, the white house is probably a step down for the Trumps. :-)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:57:21 AM by nomad54 »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »
I guess Trump isn't a "prisoner" in the WH?

Obama went to Dover at least a couple of times in his first term, also unannounced. As did Bush, who didn't want to dishonor the fallen by making his visits PR events.

Re the Ivanka and Melania comments, catty, catty, catty! I, for one, am happy Bill isn't First Perv of the United States!

ETA: As has been pointed out, now that an R is President, WoT casualties will again be news.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:02:04 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »
Upon the return of a fallen soldier to Dover -

Obama would have played golf.
Hillary would have showed up and lied to the parents of the soldier.

I like the Trumps approach much better.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
So Melania is not moving to the White House (which doesn't surprise me at all). In fact she has disappeared again.

surprise, surprise...
A spokeswoman for the first lady knocked down recent reports that Trump would not be moving to Washington at all.
"That report is not true," the spokeswoman said.
Later Wednesday, Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, acting as senior adviser to the first lady, confirmed Trump will move to Washington.
"Mrs. Trump will be moving to DC and settling in to the White House at the end of the school year, splitting her time between New York and DC in the meantime," she said. "Mrs. Trump is honored to serve this country and is taking the role and responsibilities of first lady very seriously. It has only been a short time since the inauguration and the first lady is going to go about her role in a pragmatic and thoughtful way that is unique and authentic to her."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/politics/melania-trump-white-house-chief-of-staff/index.html
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »
Later Wednesday, Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, acting as senior adviser to the first lady, confirmed Trump will move to Washington.
"Mrs. Trump will be moving to DC and settling in to the White House at the end of the school year, splitting her time between New York and DC in the meantime," she said.

Gee! That almost sounds like the plans announced back in December, the first time Progs bought the rumor that ... wait! That is the same plan that was announced.

Why is CNN setting this rumor straight? ::) Did they run with it at first? ::)

OTOH, come July or August, when Melania and Barron move to DC and Barron is enrolled in a DC school, will DU-folk claim they're body doubles, just to maintain this narrative?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »
Gee! That almost sounds like the plans announced back in December, the first time Progs bought the rumor that ... wait! That is the same plan that was announced.

Why is CNN setting this rumor straight? ::) Did they run with it at first? ::)

OTOH, come July or August, when Melania and Barron move to DC and Barron is enrolled in a DC school, will DU-folk claim they're body doubles, just to maintain this narrative?

They will complain that Barron is enrolled in some expensive private school.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
They will complain that Barron is enrolled in some expensive private school.

Frankly, cultural-social realities being what they are, no POTUS should enroll their children in a PS (it was reasonably safe when Carter did it) any time soon. BUT the difference between Clinton or Obama (both, Sidwell Friends) and Trump is that C & O opposed school choice for normal people, while Trump nominated a school choice advocate for SecEd.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
Frankly, cultural-social realities being what they are, no POTUS should enroll their children in a PS (it was reasonably safe when Carter did it) any time soon. BUT the difference between Clinton or Obama (both, Sidwell Friends) and Trump is that C & O opposed school choice for normal people, while Trump nominated a school choice advocate for SecEd.

Obama cut the program of vouchers for DC. 

A president's child going to a public school would be far worse for the school and the students. The security involved would be very disruptive.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »

That was my first thought too.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
A president's child going to a public school would be far worse for the school and the students. The security involved would be very disruptive.

Precisely. It's hard to try to name a date - especially with Reagan and G. H. W. Bush's children already be adults (being kind to Ron Jr.) - but I think sometime in WJC's years things got to the point that Chelsea truly should have been sent to private school. PSs are not designed with security in mind, and evidently Sidwell Friends was adaptable (or already adapted).

Sadly, as loony as some Progs have become and given the high percentage of Libs & Progs in "education", I would not be at all surprised if it proves necessary for Barron to have a private tutor at home. I 100% hope to be wrong about that!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »
Precisely. It's hard to try to name a date - especially with Reagan and G. H. W. Bush's children already be adults (being kind to Ron Jr.) - but I think sometime in WJC's years things got to the point that Chelsea truly should have been sent to private school. PSs are not designed with security in mind, and evidently Sidwell Friends was adaptable (or already adapted).

Sadly, as loony as some Progs have become and given the high percentage of Libs & Progs in "education", I would not be at all surprised if it proves necessary for Barron to have a private tutor at home. I 100% hope to be wrong about that!
Was trying to exactly determine who was the last male child to grow up in the White House.  Has to be a Ford child or JFK jr.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »
Was trying to exactly determine who was the last male child to grow up in the White House.  Has to be a Ford child or JFK jr.

Steven Ford was 18 when his dad took office, and JFK jr was too young to have attended school.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »
Steven Ford was 18 when his dad took office, and JFK jr was too young to have attended school.
Thanks, that's kinda what my research showed.  Didn't work terribly hard on it, was just my own curiosity.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
This is an uncommon view now days, but I believe a mother's first and most important job is to be a  mother. 

From all appearances, thus far, that is EXACTLY where her concerns are.   :thumbs:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline jukin

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 04:37:02 PM »
"BREAKING NEWS: CNN has breaking news about First Lady Melania Trump and First Daughter Ivanka Trump. Our sources, and I repeat sources, have video proof that both of these so called "ladies" place the toilet paper so the sheets roll out to the rear!!! THE REAR for GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!!!"

CNN
Not FAKE News
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 09:58:13 PM »
"BREAKING NEWS: CNN has breaking news about First Lady Melania Trump and First Daughter Ivanka Trump. Our sources, and I repeat sources, have video proof that both of these so called "ladies" place the toilet paper so the sheets roll out to the rear!!! THE REAR for GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!!!"

CNN
Not FAKE News

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 10:18:57 PM »
To think like a DUmmy, it requires a cranial floor() IQ function that bottoms out at a level too low to measure.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 10:55:52 PM »

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »
This man has no cats.

My cat has never attacked a toilet paper roll.  Don't know why not, and I really don't care. :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.