Author Topic: Snow watch  (Read 7853 times)

Offline Lauri

Re: Snow watch
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 07:02:03 AM »
From how I understand it, the school districts only allot a certain amount of "snow days" before they gotta start tacking days onto the end of the school year.  Thats why they usually wait until the last minute to make the call.  They don't want to burn up those days too early in the season when theres still another 6 weeks of good snow fall that may occur.

yep, the public schools do that here.

our private school has 7 'float' days built in so ... even during our bad power outtage last year, our kids got out on time in june... the public school kids were in til july..

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »
We are looking at 4-6" of snow here by tomorrow morning the 17th of January. Got to love winter in the midwest.

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »

it's 43 degrees here, and we think we're going to die of hypothermia. :-) :whatever:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 05:43:46 PM »
Omaha and Lincoln are supposed to get pounded with snow tonight and tomorrow morning.

The Sandhills, a light dusting.

What's of more concern are the projected zero, or below-zero, temperatures Friday and Saturday.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 4 PM EST THURSDAY...

CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE THAT THERE WILL BE A LIGHT ACCUMULATION UP TO ONE INCH OF SNOW AND SLEET LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY... BEFORE A TRANSITION TO FREEZING RAIN BY MID MORNING THURSDAY. FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TO BE THE PRIMARY PRECIPITATION TYPE ON THURSDAY MORNING...BEFORE THE CHANGE TO RAIN IN THE AFTERNOON. ONE TENTH TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH OF FREEZING RAIN IS EXPECTED TO ACCUMULATE DURING THIS EVENT.

Welcome to North Carolina! 
Did you get your mandatory loaf of bread, gallon of milk and dozen eggs? 

Friday's high will be 56!   Break out the sun screen and put away the sleds! 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »
We have this stuff falling from the sky.  It *looks* like snow but it melts the second it hits anything. 

At least it looks nice.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 09:27:20 PM »
Well, when you count the five FEET we got here in December, PLUS the 12-14 inches on New Year's, the 14 inches we got Monday, and God only knows how much on Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday...

I'm ready to head back to California.  Okay, not just yet...

But I did get THIS in my e-mail this afternoon:

December 8 6:00 PM
It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by
the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down
from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print. So
romantic we felt like newlyweds again. I love snow!

December 9   
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole world? Moving here was the best idea I've
ever had!  Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered
up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to worry-
we'll definitely have a white Christmas.  No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14
Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The temperature dropped to -20.  The cold makes everything
sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is
the life!  The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel. 

December 17
Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to
her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
Electricity is back on, but had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all
day. The damn snowplow came by twice.  Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying.
Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have
another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done
and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more
inches of the white shit fell today, and it's so cold, it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes
to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to pee. By the time I got undressed, peed and
dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of
the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think the asshole is lying.

December 23
Only 2 inches of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house
this morning. What is she, nuts?!! 
Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24
6 inches - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a bitch who drives that snow plow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls and
beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish
shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just
been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25
Merry Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn slop tonight - Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God, I hate
the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation
and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's an
idiot. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea.
She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27
Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The BITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars, not only for the
beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his ass. The wife went home to
her mother. Nine more inches predicted.

December 31
I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8
Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »
18 years ago I was in Alaska this time of year. While driving a Hummvee from Anchorage to Fairbanks for the Brim Frost 89 Exercise the temprature dipped down to the point the wind chill hit 114 below zero. For the rest of the 3 weeks I was there we couldn't do anything because the weather was the worse in like 12 years. On the  last day of Brim Frost 89 they let the infantry have a 45 minute attack when the weather finally broke clear enough to warm up.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline Lauri

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »
18 years ago I was in Alaska this time of year. While driving a Hummvee from Anchorage to Fairbanks for the Brim Frost 89 Exercise the temprature dipped down to the point the wind chill hit 114 below zero. For the rest of the 3 weeks I was there we couldn't do anything because the weather was the worse in like 12 years. On the  last day of Brim Frost 89 they let the infantry have a 45 minute attack when the weather finally broke clear enough to warm up.

oh that does bring back memories.. Brimfrost at Elmendorf... we were there in 84 thru 87.

here now in seattle, we had ice on the streets in our neighborhood til this evening and we may get more snow over the next few days. although this past Sunday the Five Day Outlook on the local weather site said "partly sunny" all week.

then the snow moved in Monday night and everybody was caught off guard. it suprised the weather guys.. i swear.. they cant figure it out from one day to the next and they expect us to believe them when they say what will be happening on this planet in 50 years? BS..

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 12:46:04 AM »
Looks like snow is in the forcast for here in the midwest for just about every other day untill next thursday.
MOLON LABE

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 08:03:56 AM »
We got the "wintry mix" (read: ice) forecast last night.  Said there was going to be less than an inch by this morning.

So of course, what do we get?  FIVE inches.  And more rain/snow mix to come.  I'm going to have a driveway of ice by tonight.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 04:50:24 PM »
We got the "wintry mix" (read: ice) forecast last night.  Said there was going to be less than an inch by this morning.

So of course, what do we get?  FIVE inches.  And more rain/snow mix to come.  I'm going to have a driveway of ice by tonight.

We were forecast for an inch and got just about that - then it was 46 all day today, all gone.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 04:54:29 PM »
It got up to 40 or so here.  SOME of it was gone, but what was left was thick and slushy--too much for the snowthrower to handle, so I had to shovel it all out.

At least my driveway won't freeze over tonight.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
Nothing like shoveling heavy snow while staring at the snowthrower sitting idle in the garage.
nine eleven is a car

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 05:02:44 PM »
Wasn't even really snow anymore--more like that watery, slushy, icy, really heavy crap.  And scraping 200' of driveway SUCKS.

Though to be fair, I TRIED the snowthrower.  That lasted about a minute.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 05:18:45 PM »
Wasn't even really snow anymore--more like that watery, slushy, icy, really heavy crap.  And scraping 200' of driveway SUCKS.

Though to be fair, I TRIED the snowthrower.  That lasted about a minute.

At least you tried.  :rocker:
nine eleven is a car