Author Topic: Obama blamed for FAILURE of international arms-trade treaty  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Mr Mannn

http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs/un-treaties/240837-obama-blamed-for-arms-treatys-failure-at-the-united-nations
Obama blamed for failure of international arms-trade treaty

The United Nations indefinitely suspended action on an international arms trade treaty Friday after the United States and several other countries asked for more time.

The decision sparked angry reactions from human rights groups often allied with the Obama administration, who believed a treaty to regulate the export of deadly weapons to rogue regimes was within reach. The UN had spent the entire month of July hammering out a deal, and Friday was the deadline for an agreement on a treaty that has met with the staunch opposition of the National Rifle Association and bipartisan concerns in the Senate.

"This was stunning cowardice by the Obama administration, which at the last minute did an about-face and scuttled progress toward a global arms treaty, just as it reached the finish line,” said Suzanne Nossel, the executive director of Amnesty International USA. “It’s a staggering abdication of leadership by the world’s largest exporter of conventional weapons to pull the plug on the talks just as they were nearing an historic breakthrough that would have required all nations to deny arms export licenses where there was an overriding risk that the weapons would be used to facilitate serious crimes against humanity.”

And Scott Stedjan, Oxfam America’s senior policy advisor, called the failure “a tremendous loss for thousands of innocent civilians around the globe who die each year from armed violence fueled by the unregulated transfer of arms.”

U.S. allies also expressed their frustration.

"We came to New York to achieve a strong and robust Arms Trade Treaty. We had expected to adopt such a draft Treaty today. We believe we were very close to reaching our goals,” a group of 90 countries – including the U.K., France and Germany – said in a statement read at the end of the conference. "Compromises have had to be made, but overall the text you put forward yesterday has the overwhelming support of the international community as a base for carrying forward our work. We believed that this would have been possible with extra work today and only very reluctantly now see that this is not possible."

The group held out hope that the UN could still reach consensus on a treaty this year.

Even then, the treaty would almost certainly fail to get the two-thirds majority needed for ratification by the U.S. Senate, where 51 senators have already signed on to a letter raising their objection to any treaty that would regulate “small arms" or "light weapons," as the draft treaty does. Proponents of the treaty, which include the National Association of Evangelicals, say there is nothing in the treaty that is incompatible with Second Amendment gun rights.

Bottom line, it wasn't courage that defeated this treaty, but cowardice. Typical for Obama.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Obama blamed for FAILURE of international arms-trade treaty
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
Cowardice by Obama--and courage by those in the US that opposed it.  The internals had to be horrendous on this, thanks to such groups as the Sipsey Street Irregulars, Gun Owners of America, the National Rifle Association, and others.

For DUmb**** lurkers, the Second Amendment says nothing about hunting, or even the shooting sports.  The sole purpose of the Second Amendment is to make the government afraid of its' citizens.  Then, there is liberty.  If the citizens are afraid of the government, there is tyranny.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:13:15 AM »
Going to send what I can to the NRA. Good Job!!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:21:22 AM »
When I first saw the report last night, the first thing that came to my mind was that obama was trying to score some more votes. Then it dawned on me that he just gave into the pressure again. The UN has no right to mess with our 2nd ammendment right; and in all seriousness, we shouldn't even be in the UN. They are nothing but a waste.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
Pffftt no way. Some how, some way this is all Bush's fault. You know that by now.  :lmao:

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
Can't find anything about this at the DUmp....strange.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
Pulls support for the arms treaty, offers "support" for Israel after snubbing them...he knows he's on the ropes. Too little, too late.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 05:47:35 PM »
Mainly he did it so he could have three months for his base to forgive him, instead of having just one month or so 'til the vote after a humiliating defeat with many Dem defections in the Senate.  I don't think for a minute that this decision had anything to do with principles, or he wouldn't have supported it in the first place.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
Mainly he did it so he could have three months for his base to forgive him, instead of having just one month or so 'til the vote after a humiliating defeat with many Dem defections in the Senate.  I don't think for a minute that this decision had anything to do with principles, or he wouldn't have supported it in the first place.

I agree and he doesn't know the meaning of principals anyways.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »
Pulls support for the arms treaty, offers "support" for Israel after snubbing them...he knows he's on the ropes. Too little, too late.

Yep. He is SOL and going down like the Titanic. Even the suck ass liberal media can not save him.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
I agree and he doesn't know the meaning of principals anyways.

Sure he does, principals are the dudes who run the schools.  :-)

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
Personally I blame Rove... :yahoo:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline CG6468

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »
Yep. He is SOL and going down like the Titanic. Even the suck ass liberal media can not save him.

The only difference between him and the TITANIC?

The TITANIC had a band.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »
The only difference between him and the TITANIC?

The TITANIC had a band.

Another big difference.  The Titanic was an accident, what Obama is doing to the economy has to be intentional.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »
Whatever the reason it's good news that it's gone but you can bet its not going away.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
Suzanne Nossel is now on the same radical Feminazi list as Ingrid Neukirk and Terry O'Neill.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
Whatever the reason it's good news that it's gone but you can bet its not going away.

Exactly.  Like a thief in the night, the gun-grabbers will try again.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »
Exactly.  Like a thief in the night, the gun-grabbers will try again.

And again, and again, and again and again and again....

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
And again, and again, and again and again and again....

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Chase her.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Thomas Jefferson ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.