Author Topic: Joplin, MO Pounded By Tornados  (Read 26033 times)

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
Re: Joplin, MO Pounded By Tornados
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2011, 09:27:20 AM »
^ The guy drafted last year? Holy crow!

That fork stucfk in the tree is pretty chilling. I've heard powerful tornados like that can stick a piece of hay/straw in a tree trunk, but have never actually seen it in person, or in an image.

Wow.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline namvet

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
its the flying debris that kills. this safe shed is now mandatory on all new home contruction in OK. most homes are built on slabs. which means you become a target

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oCoBvo0YOI[/youtube]

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2011, 09:56:10 AM »
I cannot believe that level of destruction in those pictures.

My neighbors were driving home from Oklahoma on Sunday and stopped in Joplin.  When the power went out in their hotel, they got back on the road.  Thankfully they made it out safely.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline namvet

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »

More Storms on the Horizon for Missouri City Struck by Deadly Tornado ???

Rescue crews in Missouri are racing against time to find survivors of the deadliest tornado in nearly six decades while forecasters predict more violent storms could hit the region.

story

I'd say they've had enough

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
Saw on Anderson Cooper's live coverage last night....a teenage girl and her aunt....

There is a Joplin family looking for their son, who had just graduated from the high school, and they were on their way home in 2 seaparate cars...the mother and daughter in the front car, and the father and newly graduated son in a Hummer behind them.

They were on cell phones with each other, the mother and daughter had just made it to their garage...the daughter must have been talking to her dad, with the mother driving and the son driving. The daughter heard her dad yell to her brother to "pull over, pull over!!!"...

The father is in the hospital with several broken bones and lacerations....one taking 20 staples to close...I assume the mother was with him at the time of the interview..as she was not at the interview.

The new graduate was sucked out the sunroof of the Humvee. They have determined he was alive when he was found, and was alive at the hospital, and he was alive when he was moved. However, no one knows where he was moved. They are fairly certain he does not have any ID with him, as his wallet was found...I think in the car.

They, too, have started a facebook site...all I remember is that is name is Will. But the family is hoping that since he is 6'4", with brown hair, and bright blue eyes....he will be recognizable, and found. The family is assuming that he has several broken bones and cuts (because the father does) but also that he may have severe head trauma from going out the sunroof....and may not be able to tell anyone who he is....

I cannot fathom the pain this family .... and all the other families who are looking for their mothers, fathers, children, brothers, sisters.....are going through. I saw an article on the internet a bit ago, there are 1500 missing.

We all need to keep sending prayers for all of them...

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
HE HAS BEEN FOUND ALIVE! :yahoo:

That is a miracle!  I am so glad he was found.  I'm sure the parent's are relieved.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline namvet

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 01:22:10 PM »
Tstorm going thru here now. and with winds and hail

Offline namvet

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »
Obama will visit Joplin this sunday

• Oh snap!
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2011, 01:32:13 PM »

You mean the day before Memorial Day?  Are you sure?  He isn't off on some other vacation?

Offline namvet

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2011, 01:35:14 PM »
shit !!!
The Storm Prediction Center is forecasting a major severe weather outbreak May 24, 2011

ZCZC SPCPWOSPC ALL
   WOUS40 KWNS 240919
   ARZ000-KSZ000-MOZ000-OKZ000-TXZ000-241800-
PUBLIC SEVERE WEATHER OUTLOOK NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 0419 AM CDT TUE MAY 24 2011

...TORNADO OUTBREAK EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF THE SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL PLAINS AND OZARKS THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE DEVELOPMENT OF A FEW STRONG TORNADOES...VERY LARGE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS OVER PARTS OF THE SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL PLAINS AND OZARKS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE

WESTERN AND NORTHERN ARKANSAS CENTRAL AND EASTERN KANSAS WESTERN AND SOUTHERN MISSOURI CENTRAL AND EASTERN OKLAHOMA NORTH TEXAS

ELSEWHERE...SURROUNDING THE AREA OF GREATEST RISK...SEVERE STORMS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE FROM THE CENTRAL HIGH PLAINS THROUGH THE MID MISSISSIPPI AND OHIO VALLEYS INTO THE MID ATLANTIC AND NEW ENGLAND STATES.

A STRONG JET STREAM DISTURBANCE NOW OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN DESERTS WILL SWEEP EAST ACROSS THE SOUTHERN ROCKIES TODAY...AND ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PLAINS TONIGHT...BEFORE REACHING THE OZARKS EARLY WEDNESDAY.

AS THIS OCCURS...AN ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW WILL DEEPEN AND MOVE NORTHEAST FROM THE TEXAS PANHANDLE INTO CENTRAL KANSAS.

STRENGTHENING LOW-LEVEL SOUTHERLY WINDS EAST OF THE LOW WILL TRANSPORT INCREASINGLY WARM AND HUMID AIR NORTHWARD ACROSS THE PLAINS AND OZARKS...BENEATH UNUSUALLY STRONG WEST-SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS IN THE JET STREAM.

SCATTERED INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS WILL FORM THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING IN AN ARC FROM CENTRAL KANSAS SOUTHWARD THROUGH CENTRAL OKLAHOMA INTO NORTH TEXAS AS DAYTIME HEATING FURTHER DESTABILIZES THE REGION AHEAD OF THE DEEPENING LOW.

CONDITIONS WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR THE STORMS TO ASSUME STRONG...SUSTAINED ROTATION...AND TO PRODUCE POSSIBLY VIOLENT TORNADOES AND VERY LARGE HAIL AS THEY MOVE / DEVELOP GENERALLY NORTHEASTWARD INTO EASTERN PORTIONS OF KANSAS AND OKLAHOMA.

THE STORMS LIKELY WILL ORGANIZE INTO AN EXTENSIVE BAND THIS EVENING...EXTENDING THE RISK FOR DAMAGING WIND...LARGE HAIL...AND A FEW TORNADOES EAST AND NORTHEAST INTO PARTS OF ARKANSAS AND MISSOURI BY EARLY WEDNESDAY.

STATE AND LOCAL EMERGENCY MANAGERS ARE MONITORING THIS POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. THOSE IN THE THREATENED AREA ARE URGED TO REVIEW SEVERE WEATHER SAFETY RULES AND TO LISTEN TO RADIO...TELEVISION...AND NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR POSSIBLE WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND STATEMENTS LATER TODAY.

..CORFIDI.. 05/24/2011

Offline namvet

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »

• Oh snap!
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »
I think this summer is going to have a huge tornado outbreak.  Hopefully the hurricane season doesn't wreck havoc too. 

according to this yes

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/05/24/2011-05-24_president_obama_to_visit_tornadodamaged_town_of_joplin_mo_the_american_people_ar.html

I'm just surprised he is coming at all.  Did he ever go down to Alabama when those tornadoes ripped through?

Offline namvet

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »
I think this summer is going to have a huge tornado outbreak.  Hopefully the hurricane season doesn't wreck havoc too. 

I'm just surprised he is coming at all.  Did he ever go down to Alabama when those tornadoes ripped through?

yes he did.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
That fork stucfk in the tree is pretty chilling. I've heard powerful tornados like that can stick a piece of hay/straw in a tree trunk, but have never actually seen it in person, or in an image.
Tornadic winds will twist trees, opening up the grain of the wood. Flying debris of any sort can get caught in it and trapped when the tree's grain closes up. Looks awesome, but it's urban myth that the wind drives things like that directly into a tree.

He didn't dare stay in town when Bibi addressed Congress. But not to worry, he'll be back for a Joplin flyover in time for the funerals.....
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »
Saw on Anderson Cooper's live coverage last night....a teenage girl and her aunt....

There is a Joplin family looking for their son, who had just graduated from the high school, and they were on their way home in 2 seaparate cars...the mother and daughter in the front car, and the father and newly graduated son in a Hummer behind them.

They were on cell phones with each other, the mother and daughter had just made it to their garage...the daughter must have been talking to her dad, with the mother driving and the son driving. The daughter heard her dad yell to her brother to "pull over, pull over!!!"...

The father is in the hospital with several broken bones and lacerations....one taking 20 staples to close...I assume the mother was with him at the time of the interview..as she was not at the interview.

The new graduate was sucked out the sunroof of the Humvee. They have determined he was alive when he was found, and was alive at the hospital, and he was alive when he was moved. However, no one knows where he was moved. They are fairly certain he does not have any ID with him, as his wallet was found...I think in the car.

They, too, have started a facebook site...all I remember is that is name is Will. But the family is hoping that since he is 6'4", with brown hair, and bright blue eyes....he will be recognizable, and found. The family is assuming that he has several broken bones and cuts (because the father does) but also that he may have severe head trauma from going out the sunroof....and may not be able to tell anyone who he is....

I cannot fathom the pain this family .... and all the other families who are looking for their mothers, fathers, children, brothers, sisters.....are going through. I saw an article on the internet a bit ago, there are 1500 missing.

We all need to keep sending prayers for all of them...

This is Will Norton. He is 6'4", brown hair, blue eyes and 18 years old. He has been missing for over 38 hours and his family is looking for him. He was last in Joplin on the way home from his high school graduation and a tornado struck his car that he and his father were in. He may have been found and taken to a hospital anywhere from KC to Tulsa to Fayetteville. If you see him please contact me or any of the Norton family. 417-331-0902.

and I just watched the news and they haven't found that little boy.  Some asshole just decided it would be funny to say they did on FB.  Here's his page

http://www.facebook.com/gina.bannerman#!/pages/Bring-Skyular-Logsdon-home/218457884839786

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »
This is Will Norton. He is 6'4", brown hair, blue eyes and 18 years old. He has been missing for over 38 hours and his family is looking for him. He was last in Joplin on the way home from his high school graduation and a tornado struck his car that he and his father were in. He may have been found and taken to a hospital anywhere from KC to Tulsa to Fayetteville. If you see him please contact me or any of the Norton family. 417-331-0902.

and I just watched the news and they haven't found that little boy.  Some asshole just decided it would be funny to say they did on FB.  Here's his page

http://www.facebook.com/gina.bannerman#!/pages/Bring-Skyular-Logsdon-home/218457884839786

:censored: scumbag. Not funny, not funny at all.  I hope so much that they find this little guy OK.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline namvet

« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »
Oklahoma city just got the shit kicked out of it. and its moving in here pretty quick. we gotta get ready

• Oh snap!
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »

Karma's a bitch.

I hope that little boy and young man are found quickly.

Offline namvet

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »
The National Weather Service has now rated the storm as an EF-5.

One of those slider before and after photos:

http://php.news-leader.com/joplin/

An interactive map with photos, and tornado path in yellow:

http://www.news-leader.com/interactive/article/20110523/MISC/110523058/Interactive-Map-Joplin-Tornado-Damage

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »
Seven dead today in OK, and the toll in Joplin from yesterday has been upped to 127, with 1,500 missing.

It's quiet, hot and humid here in Shell Knob so far. Expecting the wind, rain and hail to hit during the night.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2011, 10:07:08 PM »
Seven dead today in OK, and the toll in Joplin from yesterday has been upped to 127, with 1,500 missing.

It's quiet, hot and humid here in Shell Knob so far. Expecting the wind, rain and hail to hit during the night.

Hunker down Marv, and please report in.  These storms are some nasty buggers.  Sorry we are sending them your way.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2011, 10:07:57 PM »

Same here, marv.  I hate waking up in the middle of the night after dozing off to sleep with the weather quiet, to be jolted awake to find the spouse hurrying around grabbing cats to throw in pet taxis, sirens blaring.    

Offline namvet

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »
sirens sounding in Joplin

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2011, 10:14:43 PM »
Same here, marv.  I hate waking up in the middle of the night after dozing off to sleep with the weather quiet, to be jolted awake to find the spouse hurrying around grabbing cats to throw in pet taxis, sirens blaring.    

Sleeping with my trap door open.  Pier and Beam house, so I have a good 3 feet under. I hate that.  Fortunately, dog gets on his leash, no taxi for him.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent