Author Topic: Congress Strikes a Budget Deal, Averts Shutdown  (Read 13402 times)

Offline formerlurker

Re: Congress Strikes a Budget Deal, Averts Shutdown
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2011, 03:18:08 PM »
And for the record, this is NOT a "spending cut".

That's like saying you went from a budget of $10,000 a year to one of $20,000 a year, then back to $19,000 and claiming a $1,000 "cut".

Or to put it in more easily viewable terms:

Old deficit: $1,600,000,000,000.00

New deficit: $1,570,000,000,000.00

Had that budget increase gone through would that have been considered a budget increase?   cause it sure as hell was heading that way. 

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
You know, after Nancy Pelosi shoved ObamaCare through, that is an outrageous statement. Congress, the House, has the power of the purse. That is a huge amount of power.

And to answer your question yet again, I expect LEADERSHIP from our LEADERS. Boehner was great in the minority and they way he negotiates, it seems like he wanted to stay there.

How was he getting more?   

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Ahhh... I see. We just assume do we?

A guy proposes cutting trillions as opposed to a few billion and thats your comparison?

Fascinating.

How was he getting that through again?   

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »
Hi,

Boy do I see things differently.  While some might feel it was a win for Boehner, my contention is he does not know much about negotiations.  Had he handled things right maybe he would have got $50 billion.  You knew when it was said the tea party folks wanted $61 billion they would never get it.  He should have been demanding $100 billion from the get go and then settled on $61 billion.  When he started at the number the tea party could live with he was doomed to fail, no way the democrats would have allowed that.

And those who say the real fight is coming in the debt cieling increase and the 2012 budget, I say "yeah right!".  The die has been cast and all of a sudden Boehner and the Rino are going to grow testicles in the next 90 days????  Not hardly.  Even on the MSNBC web site they are saying that Obama made a commitment to Boehner about abortion funding in DC and then went back on his word at the last minute and Boehner did nothing about it..  Think that will not happen again???

I now have much lower expectations because of the poor republican leadership.

regards,

PS:  No sooner did I finish this post than I got an email from Dick Morris saying the deal was a total sell out.  I cannot cut and paste what he said but basically he outlines how Boehner caved, what we now have no chance of getting and how the Republican party still has to get rid of a lot of folks.  Maybe you can find his discertation on dickmorris.com because he really spells it out.

You have a lot of experience negotiating in Congress? 

Offline 5412

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »
You have a lot of experience negotiating in Congress? 

Hi,

Of course not directly.  I have had a few conversations with some pretty heavy members of congress from time to time but that is small potatoes.  At the same time, I understand how the game is played and am capable of recognizing a huge error (or in boehner's case errors) when I see one. 

Suggest you read the following article:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/09/6439868-obama-to-boehner-on-title-x-cuts-nope-zero-

If that had happened to Ritchie Dailey he would have said the whole deal is off and walked out of the room.  Instead Boehner walked out with his tail between his legs.  The room got quiet because they knew it was showdown time and Boehner caved.

regards,

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »
Hi,

Of course not directly.  I have had a few conversations with some pretty heavy members of congress from time to time but that is small potatoes.  At the same time, I understand how the game is played and am capable of recognizing a huge error (or in boehner's case errors) when I see one.  

Suggest you read the following article:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/09/6439868-obama-to-boehner-on-title-x-cuts-nope-zero-

If that had happened to Ritchie Dailey he would have said the whole deal is off and walked out of the room.  Instead Boehner walked out with his tail between his legs.  The room got quiet because they knew it was showdown time and Boehner caved.

regards,

Um, O'Donnell's accounting as to what happened in the Oval Office?   no thanks.

I thought the Messiah served as a mediator only?    He was calling the shots?   The DNC needs to get their talking points straight.

Let me assure you that negotiating anything outside of legislation is an apples to orange comparison.   There is no higher heavy hitters than the President, the Senate/House majority leaders.

He walks, the government gets shut down, and the GOP can kiss 2012 goodbye.

Seriously?

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »
How was he getting more?   
Perhaps by not playing all of his cards face up. Perhaps by not telegraphing weakness. Perhaps by being willing to fight.

Think of it, what did Boehner do to get a majority in the house?  Pretty much nothing. The American voters gave him a clear mandate and all he can do is go on TV, cry a little, then make excuses.

It is hard to expect more from such a weakling but I do expect more with what he was given, pretty much on a silver platter.

If he doesn't want to lead, why did he choose to become Speaker?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
Um, O'Donnell's accounting as to what happened in the Oval Office?   no thanks.

I thought the Messiah served as a mediator only?    He was calling the shots?   The DNC needs to get their talking points straight.

Let me assure you that negotiating anything outside of legislation is an apples to orange comparison.   There is no higher heavy hitters than the President, the Senate/House majority leaders.

He walks, the government gets shut down, and the GOP can kiss 2012 goodbye.

Seriously?

Seriously, he should have been banging the pots and pans about this.  Where was Boehner leading on this? I know he tried to pass a bill but Obama and Reid should be afraid to show their faces after using our military like pawns.

Seriously! The reason they knew they could do this is because Boehner is WEAK.

This was an outrage and there Obama is today making 5 trips to the Lincoln Memorial taking credit for "working together."

Talk about missed opportunities.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2011, 03:39:55 PM »
Perhaps by not playing all of his cards face up. Perhaps by not telegraphing weakness. Perhaps by being willing to fight.

I think he did fight, and walked away with 39 billion cut from Obama's budget.    Which cards are you referring to?  

The deadline was midnight, the deal made at 11 p.m.?   Government shutdown being a slam dunk for the DNC in 2012.   What should he have done differently?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2011, 03:42:31 PM »
Seriously, he should have been banging the pots and pans about this.  Where was Boehner leading on this? I know he tried to pass a bill but Obama and Reid should be afraid to show their faces after using our military like pawns.

Seriously! The reason they knew they could do this is because Boehner is WEAK.

This was an outrage and there Obama is today making 5 trips to the Lincoln Memorial taking credit for "working together."

Talk about missed opportunities.

Reuters poll has the GOP being overwhelming at fault for a government shutdown.  Shame on Reid?  LOL.     He played that like a master.   

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
Reuters poll has the GOP being overwhelming at fault for a government shutdown.  Shame on Reid?  LOL.     He played that like a master.   

Well, then shame on us for not standing up.

Maybe we deserve this.  Is that what you are saying?

Let Obama enslave the military?  Why not? He has already taken the wages of generations not even born yet.

And I have to think the polling data may not have been as favoriable to Obama as the polls suggest, or else why not let the GOP "shutdown" the government? And he wouldn't be making 5 trips out to the Lincoln Memorial to smooze with the hoi polloi when he has an important vacation to get to.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »
I think he did fight, and walked away with 39 billion cut from Obama's budget.    Which cards are you referring to?  

The deadline was midnight, the deal made at 11 p.m.?   Government shutdown being a slam dunk for the DNC in 2012.   What should he have done differently?
You do understand metaphors, don't you? Ever since he took power, Boehner has been telegraphing what he is willing to do and not to do so Obama and Reid know how far he is willing to go before they even get to the issue.

First of all Boehner shouldn't have waited until the last hour to start getting serious. He was delivered the Speakership on a silver platter by historic numbers. And, as I say, if he doesn't want to lead, he should step down.

Again, if he has some sort of master plan, he should be bringing the American people along with him. Where is his leadership?
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
One last thing, saying Reid played like a master is a bit over the top. How much mastery is required when you know you are playing against a chump? Boenher is a chump. I would love to play high stakes poker against him. I don't even know anything about poker but I know I could masterfully play a chump.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2011, 04:45:49 PM »
Well, then shame on us for not standing up.

Maybe we deserve this.  Is that what you are saying?

Let Obama enslave the military?  Why not? He has already taken the wages of generations not even born yet.

And I have to think the polling data may not have been as favoriable to Obama as the polls suggest, or else why not let the GOP "shutdown" the government? And he wouldn't be making 5 trips out to the Lincoln Memorial to smooze with the hoi polloi when he has an important vacation to get to.

??

No -- remember Bill Clinton and the government shutdown?   History repeating itself. 

Of course they are going to hold them hostage, this is politics and you can be damn sure the media will use that picture of that soldier for the DNC advantage.   That's reality.

Obama was getting heat on his lack of leadership ability going into the final stretch.   His narcissist nature was his undoing.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2011, 04:51:56 PM »
You do understand metaphors, don't you? Ever since he took power, Boehner has been telegraphing what he is willing to do and not to do so Obama and Reid know how far he is willing to go before they even get to the issue.

First of all Boehner shouldn't have waited until the last hour to start getting serious. He was delivered the Speakership on a silver platter by historic numbers. And, as I say, if he doesn't want to lead, he should step down.

Again, if he has some sort of master plan, he should be bringing the American people along with him. Where is his leadership?

Yeah, I understand them and are asking you to use exact instances of where he failed.   Let's be clear that the tea party did the telegraphing, and Boehner made comments about reaching an agreement because we have men and women in harms way looking for him to make a deal so they don't have to worry about their loved ones being unable to put food on the table, and pay the rent.   

The GOP attempted several times to get Obama to agree to exempt the military from the shutdown and he refused.   It all came down the wire, and Boehner walked out of there with cuts that will sting the left  straight through to the next battle. 

We don;t have the senate.   I don't how you expect there to be more than what he got.       

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2011, 04:56:52 PM »
One last thing, saying Reid played like a master is a bit over the top. How much mastery is required when you know you are playing against a chump? Boenher is a chump. I would love to play high stakes poker against him. I don't even know anything about poker but I know I could masterfully play a chump.

Reid didn't play that game against Boehner, he played it against the GOP senate.

:whatever:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2011, 05:08:13 PM »
Most political strategists agree that the Clinton-era shutdowns politically benefited the sitting president, who was able to paint Republicans as obstructionist. According to Gallup, his handling of the shutdown boosted his popularity.

"In the wake of the government shutdown in early 1996, Clinton's approval rating moved permanently above the 50% level, and never fell below 52% after that," Gallup reported in 2001, upon his exit from office.

The same warnings are being echoed by prominent Republicans such as Karl Rove. In his weekly polling memo, the former deputy chief of staff to President George W. Bush cautioned that a shutdown could boost President Barack Obama's approval ratings, citing the Clinton effect.

"The shutdowns helped improve Clinton's political standing, boosting both his approval rating and perceptions of him as a strong leader," Rove wrote. "At the time, poll watchers noted that, 'the only time Clinton's ratings have improved substantially the past year as a result of his actions has been when he adopted a strategy of confrontation.' "

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/08/boosted-approval-ratings-and-back-pay-lessons-learned-from-past-shutdowns/

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2011, 05:44:15 PM »
Ahhh... I see. We just assume do we?

A guy proposes cutting trillions as opposed to a few billion and thats your comparison?

Fascinating.

Yes it is an assumption.
The simple fact is there is no way Paul Ryan is going to get that budget he proposed through the Senate much less get Obama to sign it into law.
Ryan is going to have compromise and the people complaining now, will say we were sold out again.

To quote Will Pitt, bank on it.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:22 PM »
Some folk at the dump are getting a bit queasy about what has gone down in DC.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x850413

cali  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-09-11 03:20 AM

Original message

A Freeper sums up the budget deal- accurately

We have now changed the terms of the debate. The country is no longer talking about whether to cut, now we talk only about how much. President Obama was forced to go on TV tonight and essentially embrace spending cuts - just months ago he was busy pushing spending increases.”

This is true.
We have President Obama now taking ‘credit’ for a budget that is the ‘largest cut in spending in history’ ... Obama drinking the Tea!!!

This is like Clinton in 1995 ‘the era of big government is over’ ... next 6 years the govt - under GOP budgets grew smaller than at any time in the previous 30 years (or the next 10  ) ... so this day IS historic ...

This is not the end, but the beginning of the end of Big Government Obam-unism.

Elections matter. And this agreement has shifted the debate significantly.

Cali: Pitiful and sickening.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:10:06 PM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »
Yeah, I understand them and are asking you to use exact instances of where he failed.   Let's be clear that the tea party did the telegraphing, and Boehner made comments about reaching an agreement because we have men and women in harms way looking for him to make a deal so they don't have to worry about their loved ones being unable to put food on the table, and pay the rent.   

The GOP attempted several times to get Obama to agree to exempt the military from the shutdown and he refused.   It all came down the wire, and Boehner walked out of there with cuts that will sting the left  straight through to the next battle. 

We don;t have the senate.   I don't how you expect there to be more than what he got.       

Because some people on our side think that Bohner can wave a magic wand or something.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2011, 06:01:51 PM »
Compromise was inevitable shut down or no no shut down. I think a government shut down is inevitable this year, especially after September. The last time we had government shut downs were after September.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
??

No -- remember Bill Clinton and the government shutdown?   History repeating itself. 

Of course they are going to hold them hostage, this is politics and you can be damn sure the media will use that picture of that soldier for the DNC advantage.   That's reality.

Obama was getting heat on his lack of leadership ability going into the final stretch.   His narcissist nature was his undoing.
Oh yeah, and the Senate picked up two more Republican seats after that. And, of course, the Fed. government shut down twice during Reagan. And at least one time under Carter.

If we are going to be afraid of the media, why even bother to fight?
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »

And I am saying if Boehner hadn't of telegraphed that he is a wimp out of the box, it may have never come to this.

How do we expect to get anything from a position of weakness?

Even now, Boehner, so far as I know, has done nothing to curb the beaurocracy that was stealth funded in the ObamaCare bill.  Why not? Why not, at the very least, go to the American people and ask us to contact the White House about this.

How about any kind of leadership?
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
Because some people on our side think that Bohner can wave a magic wand or something.

You are absolutely right. In order to a wave a magic wand around a wand, one must have sort spine to be able to remain upright.

Where is an instance where he has shown and real and inspired leadership?
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »
Some folk at the dump are getting a bit queasy about what has gone down in DC.

This could be turned to an advantage. I would like it if that happened. Maybe from Bachman or Ryan.
― Homer, The Odyssey