Author Topic: HC debate closed, 60-40 vote  (Read 8822 times)

Offline bkg

Re: HC debate closed, 60-40 vote
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2009, 07:52:57 PM »
Simply change the rules later on by adding a proviso that says, notwithstanding any other provision of law, no bill, amendment, or other motion in the Senate shall require anything other than a simple majority of senators voting "aye" to pass.  The later in time controls the earlier in time, and under the doctrine of implicit repeal, that provision would knock out the earlier that required a super-majority.

I admit that I'm not following. Will have to read a few more times. Linearly doesn't make sense to me.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2009, 05:17:58 AM »
I admit that I'm not following. Will have to read a few more times. Linearly doesn't make sense to me.

Brian, Oceander is onto something.  It took a ruling by the Senate parlimentarian to ge tthis rule inserted into the bill, IIRC.  It's binding only on the current Congress.  If the next Congress wants to change it (2011), they can.  If the Congress after that wants to change it in 2013, they can.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Patriot Lady

• Credo ut intellegam
  • Just Off Probation
  • Courage
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2009, 07:36:57 AM »
Just the thought-- the audacity, the insanity....To try to bind a future congress. It does not matter if it can be upheld. What matters is that they have the chutzpah or cajones to do it in the first place. Who the hell do they think they are?
We gotta show them!
"THERE IS NOTHING MORE FRIGHTENING THAN ACTIVE IGNORANCE."
-- Goethe

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »
Well, if it is a rules change, it needs 67 to make the change, no?  When push comes to shove when repealing it, the question, "Did this rule get the necessary 67 votes" and the answer is no means the rule is dead.

if a rule change in the senate requires 67 votes, and this bill has a rule change in it, wouldn't that raise the bar for passage from 51 to 67?

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
I have a better idea. Screw changing it, just throw the whole piece of shit out.

Offline Patriot Lady

• Credo ut intellegam
  • Just Off Probation
  • Courage
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2009, 06:23:32 PM »
I have a better idea. Screw changing it, just throw the whole piece of shit out.
:hyper:   :rotf:   :cheersmate:
"THERE IS NOTHING MORE FRIGHTENING THAN ACTIVE IGNORANCE."
-- Goethe