Current Events > The DUmpster

Clinton support puts union arm in debt

(1/1)

zeitgeist:
The union turns against its own.  Priceless read. 

Dump link here >

--- Quote ---Source: Washington Times

By Jim McElhatton

The independent political arm of the nation's largest government workers union has taken out a $1 million loan to replenish its coffers after spending millions of dollars backing Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and criticizing her rival, Sen. Barack Obama, according to campaign records.

Despite the union's endorsement of Mrs. Clinton, state chapters of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) in Illinois and Oregon have broken with the national leadership in recent months and thrown their support behind Mr. Obama.

Filings with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) show that the union's political group, AFSCME People, took out a $1 million loan on Feb. 25 from Amalgamated Bank in New York while spending more than $2 million to sway the Democratic contest. The expenditures included more than $200,000 in negative mailers against Mr. Obama in New Hampshire, Iowa and Ohio.

Several AFSCME vice presidents worry that the move could hurt the union if Mr. Obama secures the Democratic nomination.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AI...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 page story. I'm not a happy AFSCME member about this.

--- End quote ---

The OP provides some interesting grist for the regular dummies.  What to think? Trust the union? Trust Hillarity? Trust Barrio Obama? 

--- Quote ---last1standing  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-20-08 09:42 PM
Response to Original message
3. It might be time to take legal action against the leadership. 
 That is some incredible mismanagement and a waste of funds that could have gone to help the membership. I used to respect AFSCME as a member but they have definitely taken a wrong turn someplace.

--- End quote ---

Gee I have often thought this myself!

--- Quote ---Gman  (1000+ posts)       Tue May-20-08 10:02 PM
Response to Original message
5. Good for AFSCME! 
 They're doing everything they can to nominate a candidate that's electable in November.

{and then this}
high density  (1000+ posts)      Wed May-21-08 12:45 AM
Response to Reply #5
12. Thank goodness we had the electable John Kerry in 2004.  :hammer:
He's doing great as president.

--- End quote ---

This is even more entertaining than the Dean scream!

Rebel:
This topic has been moved to The DUmpster.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=7594.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version