Author Topic: Disgusting!!! Student inseminates and aborts as much as she can for art project!  (Read 3901 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Art major Aliza Shvarts '08 wants to make a statement.

Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process.

The goal in creating the art exhibition, Shvarts said, was to spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body. But her project has already provoked more than just debate, inciting, for instance, outcry at a forum for fellow senior art majors held last week. And when told about Shvarts' project, students on both ends of the abortion debate have expressed shock . saying the project does everything from violate moral code to trivialize abortion.

But Shvarts insists her concept was not designed for "shock value."

"I hope it inspires some sort of discourse," Shvarts said. "Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it's not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone."

The "fabricators," or donors, of the sperm were not paid for their services, but Shvarts required them to periodically take tests for sexually transmitted diseases. She said she was not concerned about any medical effects the forced miscarriages may have had on her body. The abortifacient drugs she took were legal and herbal, she said, and she did not feel the need to consult a doctor about her repeated miscarriages.

Shvarts declined to specify the number of sperm donors she used, as well as the number of times she inseminated herself.

Art major Juan Castillo '08 said that although he was intrigued by the creativity and beauty of her senior project, not everyone was as thrilled as he was by the concept and the means by which she attained the result.

"I really loved the idea of this project, but a lot other people didn't," Castillo said. "I think that most people were very resistant to thinking about what the project was really about. [The senior-art-project forum] stopped being a conversation on the work itself."

Although Shvarts said she does not remember the class being quite as hostile as Castillo described, she said she believes it is the nature of her piece to "provoke inquiry."

"I believe strongly that art should be a medium for politics and ideologies, not just a commodity," Shvarts said. "I think that I'm creating a project that lives up to the standard of what art is supposed to be."

The display of Schvarts' project will feature a large cube suspended from the ceiling of a room in the gallery of Green Hall. Schvarts will wrap hundreds of feet of plastic sheeting around this cube; lined between layers of the sheeting will be the blood from Schvarts' self-induced miscarriages mixed with Vaseline in order to prevent the blood from drying and to extend the blood throughout the plastic sheeting.

Schvarts will then project recorded videos onto the four sides of the cube. These videos, captured on a VHS camcorder, will show her experiencing miscarriages in her bathrooom tub, she said. Similar videos will be projected onto the walls of the room.

School of Art lecturer Pia Lindman, Schvarts' senior-project advisor, could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

Few people outside of Yale's undergraduate art department have heard about Shvarts' exhibition. Members of two campus abortion-activist groups . Choose Life at Yale, a pro-life group, and the Reproductive Rights Action League of Yale, a pro-choice group . said they were not previously aware of Schvarts' project.

Alice Buttrick '10, an officer of RALY, said the group was in no way involved with the art exhibition and had no official opinion on the matter.

Sara Rahman '09 said, in her opinion, Shvarts is abusing her constitutional right to do what she chooses with her body.

"[Shvarts' exhibit] turns what is a serious decision for women into an absurdism," Rahman said. "It discounts the gravity of the situation that is abortion."

CLAY member Jonathan Serrato '09 said he does not think CLAY has an official response to Schvarts' exhibition. But personally, Serrato said he found the concept of the senior art project "surprising" and unethical.

"I feel that she's manipulating life for the benefit of her art, and I definitely don't support it," Serrato said. "I think it's morally wrong."

Shvarts emphasized that she is not ashamed of her exhibition, and she has become increasingly comfortable discussing her miscarriage experiences with her peers.

"It was a private and personal endeavor, but also a transparent one for the most part," Shvarts said. "This isn't something I've been hiding."

The official reception for the Undergraduate Senior Art Show will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on April 25. The exhibition will be on public display from April 22 to May 1. The art exhibition is set to premiere alongside the projects of other art seniors this Tuesday, April 22 at the gallery of Holcombe T. Green Jr. Hall on Chapel Street.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24513

I'm freaking speechless.  :censored:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Well, I'll bet Ms. Ed, the unappellated eohippus, is all for this.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
This is just sick.

Offline Dixie*Darling

Disgusting proof that liberalism is a mental disorder.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
This is just sick.
And GROSS! She's preserving the blood from each one :o :puke:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline jtyangel

As someone who is an artist, I have always seen art as something that adds something of value and beauty. Of course, artwork will degrade with time and eventually be destroyed by time's ravages, just like the Creator's work also degrades with time, however new work springs up in the face of the destruction of time. Creation to me is not about destruction--purposeful destruction for the sake of itself. This woman is not an artist, she is mentally ill and damn near soulless considering she seems to have no sense of shame over the whole matter. When did art majors have to shock instead of just producing good quality artwork? *shakes head*

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

this can't be for real.  it just can't be.

Offline Flame

it's beyond me how this could possibly be considered art

Offline Wretched Excess

drudge linked to the yaledailynews site, and the traffic has knocked them offline.

Offline Dixie*Darling

It's heart wrenching to think of my DIL's and families pain when we she had a miscarriage. 

To think that this young woman, time after time, consecutively aborted/miscarried purposely (it doesn't state how many) for no reason other than her "art", sickens me to my core. 

The blood of the innocent souls she killed, willfully and with premeditation, is on her hands and literally on public display.  May God have mercy on her soul and at some point in her life make her aware of the horror of her actions.  In this life there may be no justice for her wrongdoings, but in the next, she will answer.

Offline Wretched Excess

drudge, FR, NRO and a dozen other blogs are all over this thing.

this is going to be a big story.  if this is not some sort of hoax, this disturbed
little cretin is about to get much more than she bargained for. 

I still can't believe this is true.  I want to think that the "demonstration art
project" is actually about the worlds reaction to a hypothetical situation such
as this.  or maybe I am just desperately trying to find ways to not believe that
someone would do this.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
It says she did this over a nine month period. Her body would first of all, need to recover from each abortion and then ovulate again. I have no idea how many times she would be able to pull this off.

And, I really can't imagine a woman willingly self-aborting over and over. It's not a painless or pleasant process. She's most certainly the most depraved person I've ever heard of.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator

this can't be for real.  it just can't be.

I think it's real.

Also, it doesn't surprise me.

As for shocking me, well, having watched the primitives for so long, nothing shocks me; after all, Fat Che isn't the paragon of decency and morality himself.

But what goes around comes around, and so one just sits back and watches.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
This is so grotesque that I am actually speechless......is there no level of depravity that is so low that it can't be considered "art" by these people?

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Dixie*Darling

In reading the comments on FR, I ran across this link:

http://my1stperiod.com/2064/2106.html

It recounts this young womans telling of her 1st period and the lack of parental guidance. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
^Weird. I just don't understand "art" I guess. *eyeroll*

Okay, I googled her name. DO NOT click on the link called moxie.nu that talks about her stealing this project idea from someone!!! There are very graphic abortion pictures at the link and no warning!!! I wish I could unsee that now, damn. Anyway, someone else apparently did a similar project (hence the horrid photos) and they are upset that she is claiming this as an original thought.

I gotta go get some fresh air. I can't fit this much evil in my head. I really can't.

Offline Wretched Excess

^Weird. I just don't understand "art" I guess. *eyeroll*

Okay, I googled her name. DO NOT click on the link called moxie.nu that talks about her stealing this project idea from someone!!! There are very graphic abortion pictures at the link and no warning!!! I wish I could unsee that now, damn. Anyway, someone else apparently did a similar project (hence the horrid photos) and they are upset that she is claiming this as an original thought.

I gotta go get some fresh air. I can't fit this much evil in my head. I really can't.

I am having trouble getting my head around this one, too.  I don't get shaken up easily or often, but this has done it.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
Well, there's a sliver of sanity. It's not much, but at least it's something.

Molly Clark-Barol, a Yale student and commenter on the YDH's website, sums up Shvarts's egocentrism better than I could: "Congratulations, Aliza Shvarts '08: you have single-handedly trivialized not only an entire generation and a half's fight to gain and retain the right to choose, through harassment and against massive odds, but also history of women's struggles, not only politically, but with the emotional, moral, and spiritual impacts of the choice to terminate a pregnancy. You also spit upon every couple who has tried, and failed, sometimes repeatedly, to have children. it is the emotional impact of these struggles, emotional impact that you shamelessly exploit, not explore, in your senior project."
via a very liberal women's blog, heck even they called her an avante-guard asshole.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Even the libs realize that much more of this disgusting drek will begin to galvanize the population.......and.....ONE more conservative Justice on the SC, and they and their movement are history......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
Okay, this is just mind boggling -

Here is the avant-guard asshole at some event a couple of weeks ago. You'll see her picture when you click on the link. http://soapboxevent.blogspot.com/

So apparently she (literally) got on a soapbox and bleated about something.

Here she is

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmD-wLdCgVw[/youtube]

But this just killed me. Check out what's on the bottom of the site -
This project has been funded in part by a GAPS grant
from September 11th Fund, Lower Manhattan Cultural Council
http://www.lmcc.net/grants/index.html

Yes, that's right. Monies from The September 11 Fund were used by the Lower Manhatten Cultural Council to provide grants for the soapbox event.
Made possible by a generous grant from the September 11th Fund, LMCC’s Downtown Cultural Grants are now in the third year of a major three-year initiative to rebuild and strengthen the creative heart and soul of the city. Through this initiative’s pro-active investment in the cultural economy and artistic production of downtown, LMCC intends to create the most widespread community benefits, achieve the highest levels of artistic excellence, and equitably distribute resources across the neighborhoods of Lower Manhattan.

Offline jtyangel

Okay, this is just mind boggling -

Here is the avant-guard asshole at some event a couple of weeks ago. You'll see her picture when you click on the link. http://soapboxevent.blogspot.com/

So apparently she (literally) got on a soapbox and bleated about something.

Here she is

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmD-wLdCgVw[/youtube]

But this just killed me. Check out what's on the bottom of the site -
This project has been funded in part by a GAPS grant
from September 11th Fund, Lower Manhattan Cultural Council
http://www.lmcc.net/grants/index.html

Yes, that's right. Monies from The September 11 Fund were used by the Lower Manhatten Cultural Council to provide grants for the soapbox event.
Made possible by a generous grant from the September 11th Fund, LMCC’s Downtown Cultural Grants are now in the third year of a major three-year initiative to rebuild and strengthen the creative heart and soul of the city. Through this initiative’s pro-active investment in the cultural economy and artistic production of downtown, LMCC intends to create the most widespread community benefits, achieve the highest levels of artistic excellence, and equitably distribute resources across the neighborhoods of Lower Manhattan.

speech is dwindling huh? Yet there she is in all her babbling glory right in the thick of it all droaning on with no interference. Do they even think about what they say?  :thatsright:

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
It's heart wrenching to think of my DIL's and families pain when we she had a miscarriage. 

To think that this young woman, time after time, consecutively aborted/miscarried purposely (it doesn't state how many) for no reason other than her "art", sickens me to my core. 

The blood of the innocent souls she killed, willfully and with premeditation, is on her hands and literally on public display.  May God have mercy on her soul and at some point in her life make her aware of the horror of her actions.  In this life there may be no justice for her wrongdoings, but in the next, she will answer.

Yes DD! If you think about it she is somewhat of a serial killer :(
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
Her parents must be so proud of their budding artist.

...and to think, fertility is wasted on this stupid bitch. For almost 16 years, every month, I watched my "X" cry because she WASN'T pregnate.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline Wretched Excess

I still don't believe it.  it sounds absurd medically (no, I am not a doctor, but I did stay in a holiday
in express last night :-)), first of all, and it's just a combination of too many stereotypes to be for
real.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Maybe she should get together with the little twit from Maine. They could collaborate on a project that cheapens life and degrades their country all at the same time.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams