Author Topic: The 17-Day Diet  (Read 24536 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
The 17-Day Diet
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:34:12 AM »
The following is no joke. Mrs and I are both doing it.

I've been on it for 17 days, effective today.

Weight loss to date? Seventeen pounds.

I miss my Razzleberry pie, though, whether or not it sounds teh ghey.  :bawl:

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: The 17-Day Diet
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »
Did you buy the book?  Never heard of that diet. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 09:05:24 AM »
tell us about your diet, I want to lose 10lbs before swim season

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 09:06:45 AM »
Did you buy the book?  Never heard of that diet. 

Mrs E bought it. I glanced at it, being content to be led on this one.

Bottom line:

• 17-day "cycles", 4 cycles total, last one being a "maintenance" cycle
  • Cycle 1 - low, low, low carbs. No potatoes, rice, bread, etc. Carbs are evil. Low fat - limit meats to fish, chicken, turkey. Almost unlimited veggies. No fruit past 2 p.m. At least 1/2 gallon water per day. At least 17 minutes of cardio per day. Green tea with meals, first item in the gut in the morning is a half lemon with hot water - the acid is supposed to help you get started. Probiotics - nonfat yogurt.
  • Cycle 2 - alternate days with limited carbs, 2 portions a day. Whole grains. No carbs past 2 p.m., with days of low, low, low carbs. Low fat beef/pork every other day. Water, exercise.
  • Cycle 3 - dunno, ain't got there yet. I'll be on this one for some time, I think. Cardio goes up to 45 min. to an hour.
  • Cycle 4 - "maintenance" cycle.

The doc that put this together recognized that people need/want to see immediate results. The low/zero carb, low fat thing will do that in Cycle 1. Lots of fluids flush out the carbs in the system. Carbs bring on inflammation, which speeds the aging process.

But without some carbs once in a while, the body can be tricked into thinking it's in starvation mode and start shutting itself down. This is not good, so the idea is to keep fooling the body and thus keep up the level of metabolism.

I feel much better than I did, and I have more energy. The quick weight loss is motivating.

But I sure miss my Razzleberry pie. With slightly softened vanilla bean ice cream.  :bawl:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
I saw no cheese and no coffee....oy vey!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 09:09:45 AM »
Sounds like the South Beach or Atkins diet with exercise involved.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »
that's the Atkins diet isn't it?  I rock on the Atkin's diet.   :hyper:  I don't care for sweets so it's very easy for me to do that diet.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
I saw no cheese and no coffee....oy vey!

No-fat cheese in the first cycle. After that it lightens up some. Fat is far, far less evil than are carbs, but still the idea is to limit both fat and carbs in the first cycle.

Coffee is okay, without all that junk in it. There's a new sweetener out called "Previa" (I think). Doc mentions that in the book.

@Thor - The Atkins diet limits things like tomatoes and onions, which do contains small amounts of carbs, and all manner of fruit, which also contain some carbs. No such restriction on this diet. Eat all the tomatoes you want (within reason) and choke the bastards with onions and garlic while you're at it - no prob. Two portions of fruit per day in Cycle 1 is okay, with no fruit past 2 p.m.

The Atkins diet doesn't do much to focus on hydration. This diet will keep you pissing like a racehorse. And Atkins doesn't do enough to advocate more veggies and less fat, although I've read "clarifications" on the Atkins diet. Furthermore, Atkins and its rather loose stance on fat will nauseate you after awhile. There's only so much bacon I can take, though I did render two slices and had that with an omelet on Sunday morning.  :-)

Yes, I technically cheated. So sue me.  :whistling:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
Ok.  I can hang with that.  I drink my coffee straight up.  I think I will have to check that out. 

Offline debk

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »
The one I've been on since July was kind of similar, but not as much rapid weight loss, as you are seeing. You are really knocking the pounds off! Is Mrs. E doing as well? M can lose weight so much easier than I can. I swear, all he has to do is think about it, and can lose 3-5 pounds.  :argh:

Mine was a low carb - 30-50 grams per day - high protein, not paying attention to fat content or calories. You really do have to be careful about not enough carbs, though, because your body will think it's starving itself. I went through that, and because I lost too much in to short of time - mid September to early November, my hair has been falling out.  :bawl: Have now added 5000mg of biotin/per day to my vitamins. Doctor told me Saturday, that once I stabilize, so will my hair. Please God, make it so! Apparently, too rapid a weight loss can have a similar affect on your body, as an eating disorder does.  :???:

I've lost 40lb, and that was done by Christmas. I'd still like to lose about 7 more, but the guys and RB told me I was getting too thin. I've pretty much added everything back into my diet, except for excess sweets. The doctor asked me on Saturday how much more I wanted to lose, because he said he didn't want me to lose much more.

Be careful of the non-fat, low-fat, "lite" stuff.....when they take out the fat content, it's replaced with carbs.  :o The carb content on some of that stuff is incredible. I've become a "nutrition label reader", and have been really surprised by stuff that I thought was supposed to be healthy, is really not.

Any type of berry is good, particularly blueberries. Apples, grapes (  :bawl: ) and oranges are bad. Water amount is supposed to be about 2/3 of your weight.

Because of the low carbs, instead of fueling your body on carbs, you fuel it with stored fat. It's been amazing how the inches have come off!! They came off much faster than the weight loss would have indicated. Seeing the difference in the way my clothes fit, was more encouraging than any weight loss.  :yahoo:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 11:07:23 AM »
Ok.  I can hang with that.  I drink my coffee straight up.  I think I will have to check that out. 

coffee sucks

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
coffee sucks

:yahoo: someone else feels about coffee the way I do!!  :yahoo:

Hmmmm....both redheads, like to fish, and don't like coffee. How do you feel about chocolate?

Are you another long lost sister that I haven't found out about yet?  :confused:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »
Deb, you're spot-on about the so-called "lite" stuff. Mrs. E bought some "lite" salad dressing and while it isn't loaded with sugar, it's got more than regular ranch dressing! And she didn't want to believe me when I told her, so I had to paint the freakin' label on her forehead.  :bash:

Yeah, she started the diet before I did and looked like she was having so much fun I decided to join her.

Eggs - I try to limit the number of eggs I have to no more than a dozen per week. I don't have high cholesterol necessarily, but too much of anything ain't real good.

And fruit - according to the doc who wrote this book, fruit like watermelon, pineapple, bananas, and grapes are not good. But I'll eat a Fuji apple in a NY minute and the pounds are falling off. And yep, blueberries and strawberries go in my nonfat yogurt in the morning. This morning I was allowed to have steel-cut oatmeal. Mrs. E went ga-ga about that, but to hell with that - give me Quaker old-fashioned oatmeal and I'm a happy, full camper.

Of course, I'm still very new in this thing - only 17 days. Gotta ways to go till I get to where I wanna be.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »
:yahoo: someone else feels about coffee the way I do!!  :yahoo:

Hmmmm....both redheads, like to fish, and don't like coffee. How do you feel about chocolate?

Are you another long lost sister that I haven't found out about yet?  :confused:

I don't hate it, but I don't eat it often.  I never have had bday cakes, frosting freaks the shit out of me when I taste it, its like there is sugar rusing through my veins, I get all high feeling.  I like salty stuff more than sweets.  I also have never had a cavity or broken bone :-)

Offline debk

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
Deb, you're spot-on about the so-called "lite" stuff. Mrs. E bought some "lite" salad dressing and while it isn't loaded with sugar, it's got more than regular ranch dressing! And she didn't want to believe me when I told her, so I had to paint the freakin' label on her forehead.  :bash:

Yeah, she started the diet before I did and looked like she was having so much fun I decided to join her.

Eggs - I try to limit the number of eggs I have to no more than a dozen per week. I don't have high cholesterol necessarily, but too much of anything ain't real good.

And fruit - according to the doc who wrote this book, fruit like watermelon, pineapple, bananas, and grapes are not good. But I'll eat a Fuji apple in a NY minute and the pounds are falling off. And yep, blueberries and strawberries go in my nonfat yogurt in the morning. This morning I was allowed to have steel-cut oatmeal. Mrs. E went ga-ga about that, but to hell with that - give me Quaker old-fashioned oatmeal and I'm a happy, full camper.

Of course, I'm still very new in this thing - only 17 days. Gotta ways to go till I get to where I wanna be.

Might want to check out the carbs in your nonfat yogurt...you will be appalled! There's almost a full day's worth of carbs in one little container.

Get Greek yogurt...the regular kind, not the nonfat. Very similar to sour cream, I think of Frank every time I fix a bowl of it.  :-) Very high in protein and low in carbs. In a cup, I put about 1 tsp of honey in it with about half a cup of blueberries. That's a meal for me, usually lunch.

On my diet, regular ranch, blue cheese and vinegrettes are the only salad dressings allowed. Which makes me perfectly happy. I eat the ranch on carrot sticks, and stick with vinegrettes for salads. 

Made a bread pudding with Italian panettone and semi-sweet chocolate chips last night, with an orange/butter/cinnamon sauce. Not sure what category it's going to fit into, but I'm going to find one, cause I'm going to eat some of it!!  :yahoo:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
Might want to check out the carbs in your nonfat yogurt...you will be appalled! There's almost a full day's worth of carbs in one little container.

Get Greek yogurt...the regular kind, not the nonfat. Very similar to sour cream, I think of Frank every time I fix a bowl of it.  :-) Very high in protein and low in carbs. In a cup, I put about 1 tsp of honey in it with about half a cup of blueberries. That's a meal for me, usually lunch.

On my diet, regular ranch, blue cheese and vinegrettes are the only salad dressings allowed. Which makes me perfectly happy. I eat the ranch on carrot sticks, and stick with vinegrettes for salads. 

Made a bread pudding with Italian panettone and semi-sweet chocolate chips last night, with an orange/butter/cinnamon sauce. Not sure what category it's going to fit into, but I'm going to find one, cause I'm going to eat some of it!!  :yahoo:

I'll check it out, but we get plain, nonfat yogurt. I mix fruit in it or sugar-free preserves.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
coffee sucks

Oh yeah?  Well it said you suck too!   :naughty:

Additionally, most "lite" stuff has added sodium to make it taste good.  

Offline debk

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
I'll check it out, but we get plain, nonfat yogurt. I mix fruit in it or sugar-free preserves.

I'm talking about the PLAIN non-fat.

Dannon plain nonfat:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 6 oz (170.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 80Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.0g0%
Saturated Fat 0.0g0%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 5mg2%
Sodium 115mg5%
Total Carbohydrates 12.0g4%
Sugars 12.0g
Protein 8.0g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 30% • Iron 1%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Dannon Greek Plain

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 container (150.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 80Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.0g0%
Saturated Fat 0.0g0%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 10mg3%
Sodium 50mg2%
Total Carbohydrates 6.0g2%
Sugars 6.0g
Protein 15.0g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 15% • Iron 0%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Check out the differences in the carbs and proteins...they are almost reversed.  :tongue:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
I'm talking about the PLAIN non-fat.

Dannon plain nonfat:

Dannon Greek Plain

Check out the differences in the carbs and proteins...they are almost reversed.  :tongue:

Okay, looks good to me. Thanks!

Mrs E will have to get this stuff down in Columbia (where all the freakin' libs and yuppies live) because the home boys up here don't need no Greek yogurt a'tall.

Offline debk

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »
Okay, looks good to me. Thanks!

Mrs E will have to get this stuff down in Columbia (where all the freakin' libs and yuppies live) because the home boys up here don't need no Greek yogurt a'tall.

Walmart has it. So does Kroger's. Don't think our other chains would be in MO.

It's rapidly becoming quite popular, just because it's lower in carbs and higher in proteins. It's more the consistency of sour cream too.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
coffee sucks
Oh yeah?  Well it said you suck too!   :naughty:

I LIVE for coffee, but it can't be the cheap crap like Folgers. I get Columbian beans from Sams and grind them myself (or rather Inga does) and use a stove top percolator to get it to the strength I enjoy. (close to "chewable")
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »
I LIVE for coffee, but it can't be the cheap crap like Folgers. I get Columbian beans from Sams and grind them myself (or rather Inga does) and use a stove top percolator to get it to the strength I enjoy. (close to "chewable")

I get the same ones.  In a red metallic bag?  I need to get another percolator or french press.  The friggin Mr. Coffee is lame-o.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 02:32:40 PM »
I get the same ones.  In a red metallic bag?  I need to get another percolator or french press.  The friggin Mr. Coffee is lame-o.

Yessm, that be them!! :coffee:

I got my percolator from Walmart in the camping section. It's a nice stainless steel one.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
Yessm, that be them!! :coffee:

I got my percolator from Walmart in the camping section. It's a nice stainless steel one.

Would it work on a flat top electric???

Oh yeah.....Sorry Euph!

:jacked:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »
Would it work on a flat top electric???

Oh yeah.....Sorry Euph!

:jacked:

You mean a regular electric and not an induction type?? If yes, then, yes, it should.  It's quality stainless steel, so it's non-magnetic.

It's this one:

Looks like Walmart no longer carries it. :(