Author Topic: So the polls are beginning to say that McCain is winning...  (Read 1416 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
So the polls are beginning to say that McCain is winning...
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:24:58 PM »
It is still madness in GD:P but I thought this was funny.
Kablooie (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-20-08 04:02 PM
Original message
So the polls are beginning to say that McCain is winning...
 over Obama and Clinton.
Either way we get McCain as president according to the polls that are beginning to crop up.

Of course these early polls don't mean much but it got me thinking seriously for the first
time that there is a definite possibility that we will get another Republican administration.

A huge portion of the American population willingly follows, like cows to the slaughter,
fiery fraudulent evangelist con men as if they were god's gift to mankind. The thing they
respond to best is someone telling them the answers to life are easy. Just say "I love you Jesus."
and a benevolent magical being becomes your obedient slave and caters to your every whim.

It's the same philosophy the Republicans use. Problems? Let the glorious leaders send our mighty
army out and we will wipe all evil from the earth. And your magical being will slavishly protect
your glorious leaders too! Life is so simple. So easy. Just follow the rules, trust the marketing message,
and ignore everything else.

The fact that life isn't easy for any of the recipients of the magical being's graces doesn't factor
into the equation. If the leaders SAY you will be happy, well hell! That's enough for you!. As long
as you hear THAT, you will continue to follow no matter how hellish your real life is.

True solutions to problems are complex and nuanced. Just the sort of thing that makes many
American's eyes glaze over. Thinking is not a popular pastime for many of our brethren.

So there is a real possibility that the winner of the election will be the one who says the solutions
are easy. Just say "I love you America." and a benevolent magical government becomes your obedient
slave and caters to your every whim. (While in reality the government is screwing you over to destroy
your life and grab what little you have for their own hefty coffers.)

if McCain DOES win, what then?

---

Ah well. Too early to speculate on that. There are months left to turn things around and give America
a fighting chance to change. Maybe more of the informed will turn out to vote and override
the masses of imbeciles. I sure hope so.

The thought does make me feel a little queasy though.

vi5 (1000+ posts)     Thu Mar-20-08 04:14 PM
Response to Original message
11. If I weren't a political junkie I'd feel the same way..
 Honestly I pay attention and I read enough to know what all the candidates actually believe and say and do and I feel extremely strong about a number of political hot button issues. But if I were Joe or Jane 6 pack who didn't pay that much attention to politics and didn't really care all that strongly about any of the issues other than who is going to keep me safe, then I'd be looking at this mess on the democratic side and then looking at the other side and seeing them already having picked their guy, a guy who in the media comes across as genial and charming and who is a war hero. Why the hell wouldn't the average person in their ignorance pick that over two bickering candidates we have, one of whom is being painted as a crazed black seperatist liberal loon and the other who is pretty much political baggage personified.

I'm not saying any of these people are right, just that it doesn't suprise me one bit that the majority of americans who DON'T feel that strongly about stuff and aren't that politically astute would be polling this way.
still_one  (1000+ posts)     Thu Mar-20-08 04:27 PM
15. We have multiple problems. The first is the media. They WILL NOT give the Democrats a fair shake
 people who were talking about their respective Democratic candidates being a free pass, no way. What you will see with the MSM treatment of mccain is TRUELY a free pass

It is not in the interest of the media who were complicit in getting us into the Iraq war to change that view, until Americans really start screaming, and that won't happen until many more are hurt by it, either economically, or physically

The latest sqwabble of guilt by association of Obama and Wright will continue to fuel disunity and flames perpetrated by the media. If people would listen to his speech on the subject with their OWN ears, and not some corporate media hack, telling them what THEY should think, it could be different, but I don't have that much confidence in the intelligence of the American public

If Clinton becomes the nominee, and even not, the media, 529s, and general Clinton haters will insure that we relive the whole Clinton sexual and non-sexual affairs all over again, 24/7

and that will move the stupid American citizenery away from the Democratic choices

Unfortunately, just like every positive step this country has gone through, it usually doesn't occur until a lot more pain is inflicted, and a lot more people are affected

more alarm and despondency here

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: So the polls are beginning to say that McCain is winning...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
A huge portion of the American population willingly follows, like cows to the slaughter,
fiery fraudulent evangelist con men as if they were god's gift to mankind. The thing they
respond to best is someone telling them the answers to life are easy. Just say "I love you Jesus."
and a benevolent magical being becomes your obedient slave and caters to your every whim.

Pot meet Obama followers.

Edited to change something:

respond to best is someone telling them the answers to life are easy. Just say "The Audacity of Hope"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:40:06 PM by BEG »

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »
The fact that life isn't easy for any of the recipients of the magical being's graces doesn't factor
into the equation. If the leaders SAY you will be happy, well hell! That's enough for you!. As long
as you hear THAT, you will continue to follow no matter how hellish your real life is.

No DUmba$$ the difference is that we face lifes adversities rather then wallow in them.
That is why we succeed and you whine about how hellish life is.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »
Isn't it a bit early for the sour grapes to be turning into whine, or is this like Spring Training?

*sniff* If only the whole country were as smart as we are, they wouldn't vote for that bad old 'publican. *sniff*
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 06:59:12 PM »
Isn't it a bit early for the sour grapes to be turning into whine, or is this like Spring Training?

*sniff* If only the whole country were as smart as we are, they wouldn't vote for that bad old 'publican. *sniff*

Yes, it does spoil our fun somewhat when they start feeling let down even before Lucy has got on the pitch with her football.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »

Yes, it does spoil our fun somewhat when they start feeling let down even before Lucy has got on the pitch with her football.

The reality of who they are about to nominate is sinking in and once again they have put forth a symbol with no substance.
Think "war hero" Kerry.

They always have to herd people together into groups so that they can pander but that isn`t how Americans see themselves for the most part.

Their message is old and tired and appeals only to the darkest sides of people....jealousy,envy,rage,bitterness,the list is long.
They had a candidate screaming HOPE but now has been seen as a purveyor of an ugly mindset.

Facts will always be true and the truth is never hard to remember.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:54:55 PM »
still_one  (1000+ posts)     Thu Mar-20-08 04:27 PM
15. We have multiple problems. The first is the media. They WILL NOT give the Democrats a fair shake
 people who were talking about their respective Democratic candidates being a free pass, no way. What you will see with the MSM treatment of mccain is TRUELY a free pass

What the hell?  Multiple NYT articles about McCain's non-relationship with a lobbyist vs. Obama's seriously questionable judgement about continuing a 20-year relationship with a church run by an angry bigot like Jeremiah Wright?

Who's getting the pass here?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:42 AM »

Well, dandi, they do need to get ready.  Remember the "Seven Ps"--"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."   :-)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.