Author Topic: New last book you read thread  (Read 132515 times)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: New last book you read thread
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »
Just read John Sanford's Storm Prey, it was good.  Reading Interview With The Vampire now.  Holy crap is it long and drawn out.  The whole book could have been told in like 10 pages if they got rid of the glittery useless prose.  I should finish it today and then on to the new Jonathan Kellerman one. 

Storm Prey was good!

Finally finished Huston's Marine One! Once I got into it, couldn't put it down, but it took a 100 pages or so.

Has anybody seen the new paperback size? It's smaller than a regular paperback. Didn't realize how much smaller, until I picked up one to read last night. Oh my gosh, I either will need stronger "cheaters" or a magnifying glass.  I bought 2 that size!! :bawl:

Heading out in a bit to Sam's....going to check out what they have.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »
Read Deception, the newest Jonathan Kellerman novel.  It was excellent as always.  I will be reading the newest Carl Hiassen today.  I can't remember the name.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
Now reading Surgical Technology: Principles and Practice.

1100+ pages of textbook goodness. And it's not the longest one I'll have to read this year...  :p
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »
Picked up 'The Collected Jack London'.  Great stuff.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »
Picked up 'The Collected Jack London'.  Great stuff.

Read Jack London when I was a kid, and haven't reread it since.  :(

Always liked his books. I think he has a couple of books of short stories too, I seem to remember reading them. They were great "bathroom books".  :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Chris_

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »
This collection is about 500+ pages of tiny print and has about 30-40 stories.  For someone who died by the time he was 40, he sure did write a lot.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline fm2176

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:43 AM »
The last book I read was Brisingr, by Christopher Paolini.  Before I started my classes and had to immerse myself in textbooks, I was also casually reading A Grand Delusion: America's Descent into Vietnam, by Robert Mann.  The guy I bought my house from is a long-time friend of Mr. Mann's and left the built-in bookcase full of books in his haste to move.  I decided to read this book and also have a copy of The Walls of Jericho: Lyndon Johnson, Hubert Humphrey, Richard Russell and the Struggle for Civil Rights I might read later on.  Both are personally autographed, so I will eventually send them to the former homeowner.  On a side note, Robert Mann also wrote The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Cold War.  So far A Grand Delusion is not slanted in terms of ideology but Mr. Mann served on the staff of Democratic politicians (Katherine Blanco, John Breaux, Russell Long) for years, so I doubt we share very much in terms of politics.

Offline mamacags

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
I just finished a great book!  The Ark by Boyd Morrison.  It was his first novel and I hope he continues to write more!  I couldn't put it down (until hubby yelled to turn off the damn light at 2am).
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2010, 06:46:18 AM »
Just finished another one in the Vince Flynn series - "Separation of Power".  Not that I like his writing, but to keep the full collection going - I have already ordered a copy of his next book, "American Assassin" not even due out until sometime next month.
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
I just finished James Lee Burke's "The Neon Rain" and I've started Jefferson Bass's "The Bone Thief".  Jefferson Bass is/are? Jon Jefferson and Dr Bill Bass (Knoxville's Body Farm).  They've written a series of mysteries based on the Body Farm.
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline Tnafbrat

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2010, 09:30:13 AM »
Imperial Cruise is in my TBR collection, as are the latest Pattersons.  Lee Child's Reachers are some of my favorites and I'm a Cussler fan too.  I'm also reading Beck's Arguing with Idiots (love it) and his Overton Window is waiting.  If you want very enjoyable fun mysteries, check out Spencer Quinn's Chet and Bernie mysteries.  Chet is the dog and Bernie is the PI and the books are "narrated" by Chet.  They are some of the best Dog mysteries I've every read.  Dog On It is the first in the series.

I've got a Kindle so I'm also discovering a ton of indie writers that are good and my TBR collection is growing every day.

FYI, If you like series and like to read them in order, Fantastic Fiction  is one of the best sites I've found.  They have pages for authors and list their books by publishing date and in order.

Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline mamacags

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2010, 08:35:32 AM »
I just finished James Lee Burke's "The Neon Rain" and I've started Jefferson Bass's "The Bone Thief".  Jefferson Bass is/are? Jon Jefferson and Dr Bill Bass (Knoxville's Body Farm).  They've written a series of mysteries based on the Body Farm.

I am going to have to read Jefferson Bass then!  The body farm is really interesting!  I just finished Don't Blink by Patterson and I'm about 3/4 through Private.  I am also reading a biography of Simon Wiesental, incredible story!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:37:52 AM by mamacags »
Winston Churchill

Offline Tnafbrat

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2010, 08:40:43 AM »
I am going to have to read Jefferson Bass then!  The body farm is really interesting!  I just finished Don't Blink by Patterson and I'm about 3/4 through Private.  I am also reading a biography of Simon Wiesental, incredible story!

I've really enjoyed the JB books as well as Dr. Bass's non fiction body farm books.  They're amazingly down to earth.  Wiesental's bio sounds like an interesting one

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2010, 10:10:18 AM »
I downloaded a new book the other day on my iPad. Harold Schechter's "Bestial", it's a true crime story of a serial killer. I don't know what made me want to read it. I'm only a few pages into it.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
I downloaded a new book the other day on my iPad. Harold Schechter's "Bestial", it's a true crime story of a serial killer. I don't know what made me want to read it. I'm only a few pages into it.

Careful there BEG, those true crime storeys are not only addicting but
have been known to give people nightmares.

I am reading Black Portsmouth, a recount of the first Blacks to today that live in the area.

All the misconceptions we have about slavery are amazing. Northern slaves and Black freemen and woman as well as the white settlers had it darn hard, but for their working together as a team----strange as it sounds, neither race could have survived on their own as well as they did.

Town records show that it became illegal to harm a slave in any way in the mid 1700 and if a white owner harmed a slave he was subject to the whipping post in town.   Slaves could buy and sell land, testify at a trial against or for a white man.

The number of family's where the white woman at the loss of her husband would marry a free slave is interesting reading as their descendants still live in the area.

Offline Tnafbrat

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2010, 09:17:40 AM »
Finished "The Bone Thief".  It had  a couple of interesting twists to it and was as good as I expected it to be.  I've started Spencer Quinn's new Chet and Bernie mystery "To Fetch A Thief".  I'm enjoying being back in Chet's doggie eye view world.  You have to be a real crabbie abbie to not enjoy Chet.  :-)

Offline mamacags

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
I picked up the first two Jefferson Bass novels at the library today!  I hope they are good!
Winston Churchill

Offline Tnafbrat

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
Let me know how you like them! 

Offline mamacags

« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »
First one, Carved In Bone was great!  I am starting the second one at football practice today.  I would love to be a forensic anthropologist.  Wonder if the smell would get to me?  I wonder if you ever get used to it?
Winston Churchill

Offline Tnafbrat

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
I wonder the same thing  :-)  I think it would be fastinating ... then, I have a hankering for archeology too, which reminds me, Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody Mysteries are great fun.  Set during the time of Carter's excavations in Egypt and the mysteries are set around the digs etc.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
Finished Patterson's I, Alex Cross yesterday. It was good, but I figured out who the "bad" one was early in the book. :(

Started Baldacci's True Blue on the plane today....will be finishing it tomorrow!! Great read!

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2010, 02:13:01 AM »
I started re-reading Robert Jordan's "Wheel Of Time" series about a week ago so I can be up to date when the 13th book comes out in a month or so. 9 Books down 3 to go.

Offline Tnafbrat

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2010, 07:30:12 AM »
I started re-reading Robert Jordan's "Wheel Of Time" series about a week ago so I can be up to date when the 13th book comes out in a month or so. 9 Books down 3 to go.

I've got the first one to read, but haven't yet ... how are you liking them ? ( ..  :thatsright: I guess well enough to read 9 of them .. duh ) but, what are they like?

Right now I'm reading Steve Berry's "The Templar Legacy"  I'm enjoying it, it's set in Copenhagen (at least for now)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »
I've got the first one to read, but haven't yet ... how are you liking them ? ( ..  :thatsright: I guess well enough to read 9 of them .. duh ) but, what are they like?

Right now I'm reading Steve Berry's "The Templar Legacy"  I'm enjoying it, it's set in Copenhagen (at least for now)

Well this is my 4th trip through the series as it stands today. The books from 6-9 get kinda slow and Jordan's writing style is ....extremely verbose... so the less determined reader might be inclined to tune out mid way through.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2010, 08:28:25 PM »
Currently reading 'Driving from Japan: Japanese Cars In America'.  Interesting, but there's a lot of re-hashed information I've seen in other places.