Current Events > Politics

We must prevail, we can never allow ourselves to give up

<< < (2/9) > >>

Mustang:
That was very inspiring, thank you for sharing your story. Semper Fi.

nakedliberty:
Its funny how you can be on this earth for 43 years and still read something that you haven't seen or heard put quite that way before.  Really made me think.  Thanks!

By the Way, my dad was a marine and at Pendleton about the same time you were at Parris Island.  He talks like you do.  

ColonialMarine0431:

--- Quote ---His message was that no platoon was in better shape than we were, stronger than we were, but we were not mentally up to the task. 
--- End quote ---

That's what it comes down too. That's why our code is "Honor, Courage, Commitment". Like when I made a royal arse of myself recently and had to man up to it. Nobody demanded it from me. I demanded it from myself.

Semper Fi!

DixieBelle:
Semper Fi!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. As the granddaughter of a proud Marine, I thank you!

JohnnyReb:

--- Quote from: 5412 on September 15, 2009, 11:42:07 PM ---Hi folks,

We got inside and he had us close all the windows, no AC mind you, then we participated in one of his favorite drills called over and under.  
--- End quote ---

Ah...the Indoor Olympics. My Drill Instructors favorite sports were "Watching TV" and "Hanging Ten".

"Watching TV" wasn't to bad. You sat on the deck with your hands behind your head and your feet off the deck. You stayed like that until stomach cramps and muscle spasms had half the platoon jumping about like Mexican jumping beans.

"Hanging Ten" was always relaxing. You had to hook your toes over the rail of the top rack and hang down, pushing out from the base with your hands so that you were on an angle. You hung like that until (in my case) everything turned green (couldn't see) and as your ears filled with blood you couldn't hear commands clearly or not at all. When you felt the deck shake a few times from people passing out and falling off their rack you knew it was just about over. The drill instructors would come by and knock your feet off the top rack at which point you were supposed to jump to attention....of course when you jumped to attention, you immediately passed out.....now if you were smart, you extended by fakery that passed out time on the floor for a couple of minutes so that when you jumped to attention the second time, you didn't immediately pass out again.

And let me assure you fellows that passed through Parris Island in the heat of one of the three hot seasons....it's just as damn miserable in the dead of winter..... :rotf:....no matter what, my position on the PT field was always on a mud puddle. And no matter how careful I was not to break the ice on it, one of my Drill Instructors was sure to come along and be nice enough to break the damn ice for me. .... :rotf:

JohnnyReb...class of '64

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version