Current Events > The DUmpster

why does the United States even need an army?

(1/3) > >>

Carl:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2876774

--- Quote ---QuestionAll  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:41 PM
Original message
why does the United States even need an army?
   Advertisements [?]

who is going to invade us, and from where?

in iraq, their "army" was basically a non-issue, as far as stopping us from getting to baghdad and "conquering" the country. what ended up REALLY ****ing us is the insurgency- and while many of those may be trained military/revolutionary guard troops/officers, a lot of them are also just regular guys-even kids, with weapons.

with this in mind, and knowing how well-armed the u.s. populace is- who in their right mind would ever try to invade and conquer us?

instead of a huge standing army, why don't we just rely on better trained/staffed/equipped national guard units in each state/region, with militias that could be called up as needed.

keep a strong navy/air force to protect shipping routes and combined with the coast guard, our shorelines, and skies.

i just feel that we spend WAY too much in terms of manpower, money, and resources on the military, and mostly for no really good reasons.
--- End quote ---

Answer....to protect your sorry a$$ while giving you the ability to post drivel on a treasonous Internet forum.  :censored:

--- Quote ---dkf  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:44 PM
Response to Original message
1. Because we have done a lot of awful things in the past and made enemies?
--- End quote ---

Blame the USA....there is a surprise. ::)

--- Quote ---elizfeelinggreat (194 posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:44 PM
2. why does the United States even need an army?
   why? Because it makes a LOT of profit for the military industrial complex.

That's the simple answer.

(I totally agree with you that we spend too much, BTW)
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---KansDem  (1000+ posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:49 PM
3. Protect corporate interests abroad...
   A nation's people tend to get upset when they discover AnyUSACorp is in their country to rape and pillage...
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Husb2Sparkly  (1000+ posts)         Sat Feb-16-08 03:54 PM
5. I believe there's a need for an army (for a whole military, actually) ...... but ......
   ..... not one as big as ours. Ours is far more than a defensive army. It is a offensive organization that is used to project strength and power and intimidate the shit out of people. It has failed to do the latter for the last 30 years.

But we need a military as a defensive measure. The world will always have bad actors and we need to be ready.

No .... I am not an advocate of endless war. I think our military and our DoD can get by on 1/4 the budget they now have **exclusive** of the obscene amount spent on The Bush Family's Embarrassment's wars.

--- End quote ---
Please explain the function and capability of your military dipsh!t?
Oh yeah,you folks never think or worry about details.

--- Quote ---fifthgendem  (1000+ posts)         Sat Feb-16-08 03:55 PM
7. Because we're a peace-loving people . . .
   and starting wars is the only way to make peace.

--- End quote ---

:censored:

--- Quote ---uperduperfarleft  (356 posts)        Sat Feb-16-08 03:57 PM
8. We don't.
   It's an enormous waste of resources that only exists to make certain industries extremely rich. I'd be comfortable with a very localized National Guard-type force, but the major branches of the military should be completely abolished.
--- End quote ---

And you are an idiot who would be the first to scream when your civil rights were REALLY taken by those who have chosen to be an enemy of freedom for the last 70 years.

--- Quote ---provis99  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-16-08 04:24 PM
10. lets let the 2nd Amendment gun nuts protect us
   rather than the military; assuming they don't shoot us first...
--- End quote ---

No fool,we would be the first ones to actually stand up and do that.
It is what Americans do.

SSG Snuggle Bunny:
They sound like Ronulans.

Freeper:
The primitives want the US to be like post WW2 Japan and not have a standing Army but, be allowed to have a small National Guard type defensive force. One flaw (of many) in the primitive's plan is Japan had us to defend their asses. If we drew down we would have no defense. This is why I pray to God the primitives never are in power.

DumbAss Tanker:
Didn't one of those dumbshits post the exact same thing, on which we had a thread, a few days ago?

:banghead:

Freeper:

--- Quote from: DumbAss Tanker on February 16, 2008, 04:58:11 PM ---Didn't one of those dumbshits post the exact same thing, on which we had a thread, a few days ago?

:banghead:

--- End quote ---

Well it is very rare when we see an original thought at DU.  :lmao:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version