Current Events > The DUmpster

"The world would be better off without humans."

(1/4) > >>

Carl:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2868489

--- Quote ---GaYellowDawg (1000+ posts)         Thu Feb-14-08 11:38 PM
Original message
"The world would be better off without humans."
   Advertisements [?]

What a stupid sentiment. I don't think anyone who makes that statement actually thinks through the implications of it. If you really think that, then murder is good, because it takes one more human off the planet. If you really think that, then genocide is even better; after all, without all those pesky human beings, the planet's better off! You must have Hitler and Stalin posters in your bedroom - they got rid of more humans than anyone else in history. Surely you're a big fan of W's policies, with all the death in Iraq.

And I've never, never heard anyone who talks about how the earth would be better off without humans mention that they want to start with themselves, their family, or friends. Seems like it'd be appropriate.
--- End quote ---

Some very revealing comments that follow...

--- Quote ---karlrschneider  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-14-08 11:55 PM
Response to Reply #2
13. Nonsense. Humans are not intrinsically more valuable, useful or good than any other form of life.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-15-08 12:33 AM
Response to Reply #24
30. humans also consume the most resources, kill the most species
   Kill for Sport, foul their own nests with garbage and pollution. Humans hate other humans because of their skin-color, or religious beliefs, or life style.

We stopped showing our *potential* long ago. Right about the time one human decided the other guy's shiny rock was something he had to have, and killed him for it.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-15-08 12:53 AM
Response to Reply #34
38. No -- you're missing the point
   No other species is arrogant enough to think that it is at the top of the food chain. And where exactly does a fish in a tank kill other fish for possessions like money, cars, etc.?

This very sort of "humility" is my point -- we lost our potential a long time ago. Some of us get it. Some don't.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---karlrschneider  (1000+ posts)        Fri Feb-15-08 12:58 AM
Response to Reply #30
41. In college (Aeronautical Engineering) we liked to describe helicopters this way:
   "the only machine ever designed by man that is constantly attempting to destroy itself" (strength of materials never quite caught up to the demands made of it)...

There's something "not right" about the human brain...we do not operate for our own common benefit. I find that
incredibly fascinating...and sad.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---alarimer  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-15-08 08:57 AM
Response to Reply #13
85. I agree. We ar a random act of evolution,.
   There is no purpose, no direction to evolution (except generally in the direction of higher complexity, which does not imply that we are worth more).

I make no secret of the fact that I despise the human species. We are an utter waste of oxygen and we will eventually kill ourselves off. Extinction is almost inevitable.

--- End quote ---

Please feel free to begin that for us.

--- Quote ---IMModerate  (1000+ posts)         Fri Feb-15-08 12:17 AM
Response to Original message
22. Humans are to earth as cancer is to the body.
   Sorry, but that analogy holds.

No, I am not suggesting any cure. Natural selection will obtain.

--IMM
--- End quote ---

They are in the minority on the thread although there are many waffling.

A life that despises its existence is not one worth listening to for any reason yet they consider themselves the most qualified to be in control.
Frightening thought.

LadyLiberty:
Good, they can start the process with themselves.

Lord Undies:

--- Quote ---I make no secret of the fact that I despise the human species.
--- End quote ---

The foundation of liberalism in a nutshell. 

Rebel:
Damn they're deranged.

Wretched Excess:

maybe, but who would be there to appreciate it?  :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version