Chrylser offers 100K buyout; DU outraged

(1/3) > >>

Lauri:

--- Quote ---Purveyor  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jan-28-08 03:08 PM
Original message
Chrysler Offers $100,000 Buyouts To All UAW Plant Workers In Metro Detroit

About these advertisements
Source: Detroit News

All UAW-represented Chrysler LLC workers at Metro Detroit plants are expected to be offered buyouts and early retirement as the automaker works to eliminate the announced 8,500 to 10,000 hourly jobs.

Workers at eight area factories, including Sterling Heights Assembly, received offers today, said Chrysler spokeswoman Michelle Tinson.

Employees at Chrysler's Jefferson North plant in Detroit already have received paperwork and are deciding whether or not to accept the packages. Offers have not yet been extended to employees at Warren Truck because the plant is on temporary shutdown this week.

Chrysler employs about 12,000 United Autoworkers members at its 10 Metro Detroit manufacturing sites. Any worker with more than one year of experience -- and very few Chrysler factory workers are of that short tenure -- is eligible to accept a $100,000 buyout.

Some 4,600 of those workers are eligible for early retirement, which would include retiree health care and benefits as opposed to the buyout packages, which do not.

Read more: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080...

--- End quote ---

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=3159750&mesg_id=3159750

Lord Undies:

--- Quote ---windbreeze (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-29-08 01:07 AM
Response to Reply #18
19. doesn't involve me
so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other...I was just making a point, that it sounds like a lot of money(unless you worked there less than a year, which leaves you with no job/no money)...until you take at least 20% out for taxes, along with the loss of their medical insurance...and then consider that most of these people likely will have to give up everything they own, and leave the state to go find work elsewhere...IF hopefully, they are lucky enough to find work elsewhere, that is.......

yes, it's better than nothing...but it may just feel like nothing when all is said and done...these people's lives are going to be devastated in ways they haven't even considered yet...and let me clear this up...I know how to go w/o...and have done so many times in my life...I am not used to living beyond my means...and these days it takes everything we have, just to survive...my heart goes out to all these people, and any persons who are going w/o or struggling...I am afraid there will be a whole lot more of us before this year is done...dumpster diving, could become a way of life for many....wb
--- End quote ---

There's an eBay opportunity for someone.  Go to Michigan and collect all the things these poor downtrodden folks have abandon in their quest to find survival elsewhere.  You could make a mint!!

NHSparky:
Hmmmm...living in a shithole, no jobs, someone gives me 100K which I could use for a fresh start?

I'd be out of there so fast all you'd see is a vapor trail.

Lauri:

--- Quote from: NHSparky on January 30, 2008, 01:54:58 PM ---Hmmmm...living in a shithole, no jobs, someone gives me 100K which I could use for a fresh start?

--- End quote ---

some of them suggest this very sound idea... the rest of them moan that their health insurance would be too expensive to maintain and it all falls apart right there..

even when they get the opportunity for a windfall, they piss all over it.

Chris_:

--- Quote from: Lauri on January 30, 2008, 02:06:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: NHSparky on January 30, 2008, 01:54:58 PM ---Hmmmm...living in a shithole, no jobs, someone gives me 100K which I could use for a fresh start?

--- End quote ---

some of them suggest this very sound idea... the rest of them moan that their health insurance would be too expensive to maintain and it all falls apart right there..

even when they get the opportunity for a windfall, they piss all over it.

--- End quote ---

Because Corporations are EEEEEVIL!  Everything they do is EEEVILL!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version