(1/3) > >>

bijou:

--- Quote ---The Straight Story  (1000+ posts)       Sun Jan-27-08 04:12 AM
Original message
Don't treat the old and unhealthy, say doctors
 Don't treat the old and unhealthy, say doctors

By Laura Donnelly, Health Correspondent
Last Updated: 11:52pm GMT 26/01/2008

Doctors are calling for NHS treatment to be withheld from patients who are too old or who lead unhealthy lives.

Smokers, heavy drinkers, the obese and the elderly should be barred from receiving some operations, according to doctors, with most saying the health service cannot afford to provide free care to everyone.

Smoker - Don't treat the old and unhealthy, say doctors
£1.7 billion is spent treating diseases caused by smoking, such as lung cancer and emphysema

Fertility treatment and "social" abortions are also on the list of procedures that many doctors say should not be funded by the state.

The findings of a survey conducted by Doctor magazine sparked a fierce row last night, with the British Medical Association and campaign groups describing the recommendations from family and hospital doctors as "out­rageous" and "disgraceful".

About one in 10 hospitals already deny some surgery to obese patients and smokers, with restrictions most common in hospitals battling debt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml ;jsessionid=FL15VKW5APDC5QFIQMFCFGGAVCBQYIV0?xml=/news/2008/01/27/nhs127.xml

--- End quote ---
Bunch of predictable posts follow
--- Quote ---SeattleGirl  (1000+ posts)       Sun Jan-27-08 04:24 AM
Response to Original message
4. On behalf of my mother, myself, and my family, I say:
 **** YOU!!!

I'd like to see them make that same decision when it come to their own family member.

**** them to hell!!!

Lasher  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-27-08 04:27 AM
5. Sounds like the 45-1 Retirement Plan
 One 45 caliber bullet, right in the head.

FORREST GRUMP  (70 posts)      Sun Jan-27-08 02:00 PM
Response to Reply #5
35. when the hospital/doctor refuses treatment to my wife,
 that .45 won't be to my head!!!

--- End quote ---
Until someone points out the obvious.
--- Quote ---TreasonousBastard  (1000+ posts)      Sun Jan-27-08 06:04 AM
8. The kneejerkers aghast at this might note that...
 this is a british discussion about the limits of single-payer healthcare.

It is the sort of discussion that we have to have, too, since healthcare does not have infinite resources, and under single payer those resources could well be stretched thinner.

It's not simply about letting old people die, but about elective surgeries on 90-year olds just because someone will pay for it. It's about alcoholic baseball players getting one of the few livers available.

We now have medical technologies to extend life to where it could be argued life has no business being, and have to face the financial and ethical ramifications of heroic measures to keep the doomed alive for a few more weeks.

Didn't we already argue the principles of this a while back when a great Senatorial doctor diagnosed someone over TV?

--- End quote ---
After which excuses are made for single payer healthcare.
link

Lord Undies:
Now this from a thinking man's DUmmie-

--- Quote ---Lasher  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jan-27-08 01:32 PM
Response to Reply #12
30. I am a strong proponent of single-payer
And I certainly don't think it would solve all our health care problems. Such an assumption would be far too sweeping. It would make things much better, however, in two major respects:

Elimination of bureaucratic inefficiencies and profit-taking by insurance company middle men would significantly reduce costs - enough to cover everyone for no more than we are collectively paying today.
--- End quote ---

:lmao: Elimination of bureaucratic inefficiencies!  Oh, YEAH!  What a idiot.

--- Quote ---Insurance companies have an incentive to deny claims because this is a way they maximize their profits. This motivation would be reduced if claims were handled by a government agency.
--- End quote ---

:mental:  Yeah, DUmbass, just wait until the profit motive is removed from health care situations.  Just wait, DUmbass, until "maximizing profits" is replaced by "cutting government losses".   

You, DUmbass, need to stop your surface feelgood thinking and get into some deep thought about the subject.

Chris_:
This is the inevitable result of Socialized Health Care.

Next up: Logan's Run

Carl:
One has to try to understand DUmmie think.

They do not understand the law of unintended consequences.
They do not understand that by changing the input into an equation there will be a change in the outcome.

They think that a business exists without startup expenses,should have all profit taxed away and yet provide high paying jobs (except for the purists that think it should provide all their wants and needs without the actual job part).

In the area of healthcare they somehow believe that what exists today for health services will somehow be the same execept that they will not have to contribute anything to that service.

There is no sense of reality..just immature,sniveling entitlement.

DumbAss Tanker:
There will always be an England.  A Muslim England where the life expectancy is 55, violent home invasions are common, and the Government is a maze of bureaucracy that would stun the Imperial Chinese with its scandalously intrusive inefficiency, but an England nonetheless....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version